Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda celebrates turning 90, looks back at logos

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-10, 10:23 AM
LexFather

Smile Mazda celebrates turning 90, looks back at logos

A logo through the century
Leverkusen, 29 November 2010.

A logo's evolution reflects the unfolding of a brand's story through time – capturing its spirit and aspirations for the future. Over its 90 years of existence, the Mazda brand has experienced a rich and fascinating evolution. And its logo has grown into one of the recognized and respected symbols in the automotive industry. A logo's evolution reflects the unfolding of a brand's story through

This is the first recorded corporate Mazda logo, dating back to 1936. It was the registered trademark for Mazda when production began on its three-wheel trucks. The name Mazda derives from Ahura Mazda, a god of wisdom, intelligence and harmony, from the earliest civilisations in western Asia. It is also said to derive from the anglicised version of the name Jujiro Matsuda, founder of Mazda' automotive business.

Mazda also introduced this brand symbol in 1936, which was inspired by the emblem of Mazda's hometown. It expresses the brand's strong link to Hiroshima city which is still today home to the company's global headquarters. The peaks in the logo's middle form a stylised triple "M" symbolizing "Mazda as a motor manufacturer". The wings on both sides represent Mazda's agility, speed and ability to soar to new heights.

Both the corporate and the brand logo were introduced at the same time to ensure that those who saw it on the company's products knew immediately that Mazda's roots lay in Hiroshima.

The introduction of this classic "M" logo coincided with the launch of Mazda's passenger cars in 1959. The first vehicle to wear it was the Mazda R360 coupe which featured several cutting-edge Mazda technologies – a car that broke with conventions, heralding the future of Mazda's passenger cars.

In 1975, this timeless logo was introduced at the same time as Mazda's new corporate identity. Today, 35 years later, the logotype remains an intrinsic element of Mazda's visual identity.

This brand symbol was introduced in 1992. It was accompanied by Mazda's 1975 introduced corporate logo. Its shape expresses the dimensions of wings, sun and a circle of light, and was ultimately the take-off-point for Mazda's current logo.

This new logo was introduced globally in June 1997. It depicts the Mazda "M" whose distinctive "V" shape embodies the company stretching its wings as it soars into the future. It represents the creativity, the sense of mission and vitality that are Mazda – in other words, its quest to continuously grow and improve. In 2000, this philosophy was enhanced with the introduction of the Zoom-Zoom tagline to express the "emotion of motion" built into Mazda vehicles. This Zoom-Zoom ethos, still very much embodied in the logo, soon appeared in the new generation of vehicles which brought the company further along on its road to success.

It is Mazda's intent that this logo, and the spirit it communicates, represent a symbol of excellence and a promise to its customers worldwide. It expresses Mazda's commitment to providing high-quality products that deliver unique driving pleasure and distinctiveness.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/01/m...back-at-logos/

Old 12-02-10, 11:43 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL @ Mazda
So the middle logo looks like someone mooning you in a circle and their new logo is a V which is suppose to represent M azda and wings? Their new bs is that they are now inspired by Volvo and Depends?
Old 12-02-10, 11:51 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i remember the last 3, but not the ones before that lol
Old 12-02-10, 06:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the US market, logos are the least of their problems.
Old 12-02-10, 06:46 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just smile,,,
Old 12-02-10, 06:51 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Logos mean nothing. I never can understand why Mktg and the c-level officers obsess so much over logos. Logos do not make a product better. But a better product makes the logo (whatever it is) recognizable and remembered.

Toyota never had a logo when they became the symbol of reliability. Even now, hardly anybody pays real attention to the crappy logo they have. People still recognize a Toyota because of the TOYOTA in the back.

AT&T is known by AT&T and not the the white & blue world symbol.

any more?
Old 12-02-10, 07:01 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

wow the red one up front is pretty cute
Old 12-02-10, 07:25 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mazda is a great car company IMHO and has contributed billions into the Hiroshima economy.

I'm looking forward to their 100 years celebration and I wouldn't wanna miss that.

Mazda 100 years in year 2020
Old 12-02-10, 11:44 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my last car had the 1992 logo. solid car.

Old 12-03-10, 06:13 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Mazda makes very nice cars. Owned 2 of them while friends and family laughed at me for buying a Mazda and not a Honda or Toyota. Troublefree cars, both of them. One was the 99 Protege, other 03 Mazda6.
Solid sporty family haulers!
Old 12-03-10, 06:46 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Randomly came across this. Thought it was funny...

Old 12-03-10, 07:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by chikoo
Logos mean nothing. I never can understand why Mktg and the c-level officers obsess so much over logos. Logos do not make a product better. But a better product makes the logo (whatever it is) recognizable and remembered.

Toyota never had a logo when they became the symbol of reliability. Even now, hardly anybody pays real attention to the crappy logo they have. People still recognize a Toyota because of the TOYOTA in the back.

any more?
Sorry I disagree. Logos are of vital importance. A company wants their logo to be recognized in a positive fashion and it allows them to sell items based on brand/logo even if the consumer doesn't know much about the product itself.

They see the logo, trust the brand, and buy it. Logo's and names should not change often to confuse buyers. I cannot stress enough the importance of a strong logo.

I used to work for AT&T and even through all the mergers and buy-outs notice that the name AT&T and the globe was kept and used. SW bell actually bought AT&T but dropped their name and logo for the company they bought since AT&T had worldwide recognition based on name/logo.

Now I agree with you that "its the product stupid" but smart companies know how important a strong logo is.

Coke is usually the prime example used, it is recognized worldwide based on name/logo and they even shape the bottle so you recognize it.

Old 12-03-10, 07:10 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jetfire
my last car had the 1992 logo. solid car.

That's the best logo they ever had. A stylized representation of the rotary in the engine. That used to be Mazda's claim to fame... the rotary engine.
Old 12-03-10, 07:26 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo

any more?
Take a quick look at these and tell me logos don't mean anything.

A logo quickly connects you're mind to an entire company.

Old 12-03-10, 07:28 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

And here's a quick little test. What company do you immediately think of when you look at this image below?

Guaranteed you thought Coca-Cola and not Google.

Quick Reply: Mazda celebrates turning 90, looks back at logos