Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Tapped $3.6 Billion in Federal Reserve Funds During Crisis

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-10, 10:18 AM
LexFather

Post BMW Tapped $3.6 Billion in Federal Reserve Funds During Crisis

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...al-crisis.html

Bayerische Motoren Werke AG, the world’s largest maker of luxury cars, secured funds from the U.S. Federal Reserve during the financial crisis to boost liquidity as other sources dried up.

BMW’s largest transaction under the Fed’s Commercial Paper Funding Facility was for $3.62 billion on Jan. 30, 2009, according to data released yesterday. BMW made “intermittent” use of the Fed program for refinancing at a time when other forms of credit were frozen, Mathias Schmidt, a spokesman for the Munich-based automaker, said today.

“We tapped into this program in 2008 and 2009 during the financial crisis like other companies,” said Schmidt. “It supported our financial profile and offered us an additional funding source, especially at times when the money markets and capital markets did not function properly and efficiently.”

The maker of , Mini, and Rolls-Royce autos spent $750 million to expand its factory in South Carolina to assemble the X3 sport-utility vehicle. The plant, which also makes the X5 and X6 SUV models, exports vehicles to more than 120 countries, including Germany and China. Last year, the U.S. was BMW’s second-largest market after Germany, accounting for 19 percent of deliveries.

“The BMW Group weathered the economic and financial crisis very successfully,” and even generated positive free cash flow in 2009, “when most other auto companies suffered a lot,” said Schmidt. “The diversified and international treasury operations helped to deal with these challenges.”

BMW recorded an adjusted free cash flow of nearly 1.5 billion euros ($2 billion) last year, as net income declined to 204 million euros, its lowest profit in a decade.

Old 12-02-10, 06:27 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW, a German company, tapped into the US Federal Reserve? Pathetic .

Looks like things aren't so great at BMW as the fanboys and media would have you believe.
Old 12-03-10, 07:50 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

It's already been paid back, Toyota took 4.6 billion, what about that
Old 12-03-10, 07:56 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Do you have a link for Toyota, I'm curious, as I did not hear about that.
Old 12-03-10, 07:57 AM
LexFather

Nissan needs to borrow some money to pay for the glasses their designers sorely need

Info on Toyota
http://jalopnik.com/5704575/ford-bmw...vernment-money

Old 12-03-10, 08:03 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Wait, so BMW got 6.2 Billion, not 3.6B?

I did not know Toyota recieved money. That is ridiculous I must say. Why would Toyota need to access US Federal Reserve money?

I guess the US government doesn't mind giving away reserve money so freely then .
Old 12-03-10, 08:13 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Do you have a link for Toyota, I'm curious, as I did not hear about that.
http://jalopnik.com/5704575/ford-bmw...yline=true&s=i
Old 12-03-10, 08:17 AM
LexFather

Well its different then the bailouts Chrysler/GM got. These are loans which are paid back. It is unusual for the FED to do this but since credit tightened they did it. What the chart shows isn't really abnormal for businesses at all but the loans are usually from banks, not directly from the FED.

I am sure BMW, Toyota would have survived without the loans but they did help keep business running "as usual".

Old 12-03-10, 08:26 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If it's a loan then I have no problem with it assuming it gets paid back. We've all taken loans in one way or another. It's the bailout money that's evil.
Old 12-03-10, 09:11 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That's the one thing I find weird; don't companies usually get such loans from the bank? Or were the banks in such a tight situation that the US government decided to take place of the banks with the loans?
Old 12-03-10, 09:15 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That's the one thing I find weird; don't companies usually get such loans from the bank? Or were the banks in such a tight situation that the US government decided to take place of the banks with the loans?
Yes they do but the FED decided this was a "special case" so they decided to do what they want like they always do what they want. If a normal American citizen asked for some "help" b/c of the same circumstances the FED would laugh and probably have the person killed for wasting their time.

The Fed is an evil institution controlled by a select few that do what they want. They don't follow laws, they don't listen to the government. They are there to help the connected and that is all.

You should read the lack of diversity the Fed has, it would make you sick.

Old 12-03-10, 09:20 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

So have all the automakers paid back these loans yet? Do we even know?
Old 12-03-10, 09:21 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

What I posted in the Harley thread and what you should really be pissed off about:

BOA made 30% increased profits in Q3... by doing deals.. with.. CHINA...

.. and...

... you (the American taxpayer) are PAYING for it and the BMW dollars, etc... by what the Fed is doing... monetizing our debt

ENJOY

<doesn't go on rant, leaves opinions to PMs>
Old 12-03-10, 01:18 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

There's also a distinction here. It was the credit arms of these automakers that got fed loans. It wasn't loans to keep the automakers in operation (like GM and Chrysler got) but rather cash that is used to finance customers to buy cars which of course is critical especially when banks are severely tightening their lending.

That said, it was thought that Toyota was sitting on a massive war chess, especially before 2008. Kind of surprised that they would need to tap the fed for their finance arm.
Old 12-03-10, 01:23 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
There's also a distinction here. It was the credit arms of these automakers that got fed loans. It wasn't loans to keep the automakers in operation (like GM and Chrysler got) but rather cash that is used to finance customers to buy cars which of course is critical especially when banks are severely tightening their lending.

That said, it was thought that Toyota was sitting on a massive war chess, especially before 2008. Kind of surprised that they would need to tap the fed for their finance arm.
When the fed give you super low interest (basically free money), why would you use your own?

Its like me giving you a .01% interest mortgage, you would end up using my money for the mortgage and take your nest egg and buy a lambo lol

Quick Reply: BMW Tapped $3.6 Billion in Federal Reserve Funds During Crisis