Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wait a minute? You cannot pump your own gas in NJ (or Oregon)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 07:08 AM
LexFather

Question Wait a minute? You cannot pump your own gas in NJ (or Oregon)?

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...zEyNDcyWj.html

Self-Service Nation Ends at Garden State Gas Pumps
Changing Law May or May Not Lower Prices; 'New Jersey Is Heaven!'

By BARRY NEWMAN

RIDGEFIELD PARK, N.J.—People in New Jersey pick their own strawberries. They chop down their own Christmas trees. They check themselves in at airports and check themselves out at supermarkets. Lately, a few New Jerseyans have been wondering whether it isn't about time they were allowed to pump their own gas.

Pumping your own gas is illegal in New Jersey. It has been for 61 years. It's also illegal in Oregon, and in the New York town of Huntington, on Long Island. Just about everywhere else, self-serving Americans do it themselves. As paying at the pump gets easier, the gas station attendant is fast going the way of the elevator operator.

Don't tell Will Corcoran. When you pull into Tim's Westview, a Gulf station across from the train tracks in this north Jersey town, you'll sit in your car while he fills your tank.

Under a cold rain one weekday, he stood at the driver's window of a Chevy, bent over, yakking. He wore blue. His cap had Gulf Oil's orange disk on it. After his customer signed the credit slip (Tim's pumps don't process cards), Mr. Corcoran, 42 years old, shook hands and saluted like a gas jockey in an old commercial.

"People come in for the love of talking," he said as a van with New York plates rolled over the bell hose. At the wheel was Gilbert Grant, an anesthesiologist with a Bluetooth earpiece. "Now I have to wait for the attendant," Dr. Grant said. "What a job." After he drove off, Mr. Corcoran said, "Impatient. I sensed it."

His boss, Tim Arata, is a 47-year-old mechanic with lots of patience. "I'm for full-service," said Mr. Arata. He was in his repair shop, fixing a tire. Self-service, he figures, will let "big oil" into New Jersey to "put the Tim Aratas out of business."

Yet the rhythms of full-service try the patience of the state's newest station owners. Big oil is getting out of the pumping game, in fact. It's selling to people who forsake the repair shop for the convenience store and the high-volume pump island.

The gas-retailing lobby, once the force behind full-service, has split. Its association has given up praising the old filling station's homey virtues. Its least nostalgic members, meanwhile, are making the case for the gas jockey's demise.

Bikram Gill and his partners have bought up 26 New Jersey stations. They don't fix cars; they sell cappuccino. Their burden is finding workers to push the buttons on their self-service pumps. "Any idiot can do it," says Mr. Gill.

If that category includes New Jersey drivers, Mr. Gill figures self-service would let him cut prices by eight cents a gallon. Here's the rub: New Jersey drivers don't necessarily want cheaper gas. Gas here is cheap already.

Oregonians at least know they're paying dearly for their perk. But New Jersey has the country's third-lowest gas tax, after Alaska and Wyoming. Prices are way higher in the pump-your-own states next-door. Who needs self-service?

As Mr. Gill says, "The consumer is thinking, 'I have low prices and I don't have to get out of my car. New Jersey is heaven!'"

A BP station he owns, a 12-pumper, has a busy corner on Route 34 in Matawan, 45 miles south of Tim's. One afternoon, a line of cars awaited the attention of two attendants. Harish Sharma and Jagdeep Singh were working without banter for $9 an hour. Drivers phoned and texted. A few got out to use the ATM.

"I don't know from self-service," said a woman named Karen, pulling up to a pump in a Jeep. "In Jersey you weren't taught it. You go to some other state, you sit there like a dummy."

But one island over, a man named James climbed out of his GMC Suburban and started pumping his own.

Mr. Singh moved to intervene. James blocked him. "This is quicker," he said. When the pump shut off, James kept topping it up. "So I broke the law," he said as Mr. Singh reached in to pull out the receipt and present it.

In 1949, the year New Jersey banned them, America had 200 self-service gas stations. Thirteen other states had banned them, too. (Portsmouth, Va., banned attendants on roller skates.) The fear was that unprofessional pumpers would blow themselves up.
[PUMP]

Calling the New Jersey law "oppressive," two dealers sued. They lost. The state's Supreme Court, upholding the verdict in 1951, declared gasoline inherently "dangerous in use." In 1988, a judge in a lower court ruled the law unconstitutional. An appeals panel cited the 1951 case and reversed him.

In 2006, then Gov. Jon Corzine took another shot at the law, proposing a self-service test on the New Jersey Turnpike. He wanted to watch prices drop, as cost-cutters like Mr. Gill say they will. The dealers' lobby didn't object. But the public did—so loudly that Mr. Corzine ditched his test before it began.

"I wanted it guaranteed that the price will go down," says Pam Fischer, a former state highway-safety director. "If the price doesn't drop, what do I get? The chance to pump my own gas? I know how to do it. It stinks."

In a state with a self-image sometimes in need of bolstering, full service may have attained the status of a cultural entitlement. Which is fine with Will Corcoran, out in the rain at Tim's.

"It's raw today," he was saying.

He grew up six blocks away and spent years as a drummer for a heavy-metal band called Revenant. He toured with Pungent Stench, Napalm Death and Life of Agony. Then he came home and landed at Tim's three years ago.

"I stopped searching for fame," said Mr. Corcoran. A car sped by, honking. He waved. He washes windows, checks tires, earns $500 a week. People give him Dunkin' Donuts gift cards for Christmas.

A truck pulled in. It was Steve Whritenour, a railroad mechanic with a wild beard. "Good guy," said Mr. Corcoran, lifting the nozzle. While his tank filled, Mr. Whritenour said, "I come in here every day or so. It's nice to have somebody to talk to."

Old 11-30-10, 07:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes and I'd rather pump my own gas and do at times.
The wife is very happy having the gas attendant.
When I had my '69 Corvette two years ago,the gas fill was on the rear deck and no one would pump the gas except me for those 14 years.
Most of the time the attendant would hand me the pump.
Old 11-30-10, 07:36 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The first time I drove out of state to Rhode Island, took me a whole 30 sec to learn how to pump gas for the very first time
Old 11-30-10, 07:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

gas may be 'cheap' in NJ relative to other states, it just means the state has a low income jobs program and keeps the public happy by keeping gas taxes lower than other states, but of course every other tax in nj is near or at the highest in the nation.

outlawing self-service gas stations is stupid.

i used to think self-service in grocery and other stores was lousy too, but i'm getting on board, often finding it MUCH faster for me to get the heck out of the store than waiting for someone else to check/bag/process paynent for my stuff.
Old 11-30-10, 07:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm always caught off guard in Oregon when they rush out to pump gas for me.
Old 11-30-10, 07:40 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

My father in law lives in Spring Valley NY and only buys gas in NJ.

You can't beat the deal vs NY.

I was surpised at the full serve only game, but as a consumer it is all good.
Old 11-30-10, 07:40 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I live in the Huntington area of LI, and I had no clue it was illegal to pump my own gas. I did it this morning, and by the time the gas attendent get to my car I'm already pumping.

I hate it when they want to do it, I feel like I'm responsible to tip them. Not to mention, I at least try not to get gas all over the side of the car.
Old 11-30-10, 07:44 AM
hb55047
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sometimes forget when I am in jersey until I notice people looking at me like I am crazy. I had to get gas q few weeks ago and I asked for premium. The attendant repeated regular twice, I had to keep correcting him. Not very comforting having to deal with people like that who don't pay attention.
Old 11-30-10, 07:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
gas may be 'cheap' in NJ relative to other states, it just means the state has a low income jobs program and keeps the public happy by keeping gas taxes lower than other states, but of course every other tax in nj is near or at the highest in the nation.

outlawing self-service gas stations is stupid.

i used to think self-service in grocery and other stores was lousy too, but i'm getting on board, often finding it MUCH faster for me to get the heck out of the store than waiting for someone else to check/bag/process paynent for my stuff.

You're definitely right about some taxes being the highest in the nation.Real estate tax is one.I cry when I pay my quarterly tax payments.
Auto insurance cost is also #1 or #2 in the nation.
Old 11-30-10, 07:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaSyce
m. Not to mention, I at least try not to get gas all over the side of the car.
or hit the painted area with the pump,greasy marks left on the gas door and keep pumping after the shut off click.
Yes,I'm OCD with my vehicles.
Old 11-30-10, 07:52 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Yes,I'm OCD with my vehicles.
You and me, both!
Old 11-30-10, 08:09 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's a gas attendant?

Old 11-30-10, 08:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
What's a gas attendant?

The gas jockey.

A gas jockey, or gas station attendant, is someone who works at a full service gas station performing services.
Old 11-30-10, 08:22 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The gas jockey.

A gas jockey, or gas station attendant, is someone who works at a full service gas station performing services.
I know, just being facetious.

There's almost no such thing in most states.
Old 11-30-10, 08:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I know, just being facetious.

There's almost no such thing in most states.
I thought so.

Quick Reply: Wait a minute? You cannot pump your own gas in NJ (or Oregon)?