Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: 2014 Lexus IS Will Ride On Stretched FT-86 Platform

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 07:10 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Though work on both the next IS/GS is probably nearly done
It most likely is going through test-runs as we discuss this.

The visual aesthetics may not be fully designed, but I'm pretty sure the chassis is near complete if to be released by 2012.
Old 11-30-10, 07:59 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point, both the next-gen IS and next-gen GS are already past the design freeze stage. I am very confident the designs of both are "frozen" or in other words finalized.

They've probably been going through test runs for a while now. Some of them are engineering mules we've seen wearing current-gen bodies, and I'm sure they already have prototypes with production bodies undergoing secret testing in Toyota's Japan facilities.
Old 11-30-10, 10:39 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If it was true I think it would be great news for people who want the IS to be sportier, lighter, and more driver focused. Something based on a FT-86 platform is definitely going to be more driver focused then something based on the GS platform. If they can make the IS overall a bit smaller and lighter yet increase interior room especially in the rear that would be great. If the FT-86 platform can be stretched and accept a v8 that gives more hope for a larger engined performance sports car for Toyota.

I doubt the rumor is true though because the trend is normally to make next generation models larger and plusher then previous models which means it will most likely be based on the GS platform like was said earlier.

Perhaps their will be a smaller rwd sedan in the Lexus lineup based on the FT in the future but I think a rwd toyota sedan based on the FT would sell even better and could be priced much more attractively to buyers.
Old 11-30-10, 10:55 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Even 2013 is too far off. I'd be surprised if Lexus pushed one of their mainstream cars that far.

The current one debuted as a 2006 making it 6 years old already. 2012 model year makes it 7 years old and 8 years old if this report followed through. The 3rd gen really should be debuted as a 2012.

It's one thing to have the SC or even LS go that long, but not a mainstream car.

In contrast, Hyundai has been flipping cars at a 4 year clip.
Old 11-30-10, 11:19 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MaxNine
Here's hoping the 3IS will be closer to the original 1IS (Altezza)!
God I hope not.
Old 11-30-10, 11:23 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1

c) If any Lexus comes on the FT-86 chassis, it'll likely be a smaller than IS Z4/SLK/Boxter fighter. Get on it Lexus.

p.s. I would not object to seeing the IS250's engine replaced by a DI turbo 4cyl, unless they can make a significant improvement to the 2.5 NA 6, or just go ahread and add turbo and DI to that...
Do this!
Old 11-30-10, 11:40 AM
LexFather

I hope a Lexus coupe or the IS coupe or something is based off this. That would be great. I doubt the IS is based of this.

They maybe onto something. The thoughts of a FT based Lexus inspired by the LFA is making me drip

Old 11-30-10, 12:13 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
God I hope not.
Seeing that you're from Texas, I sure you like things huge. lol

Unlike most of the U.S., I like my cars on the smaller size. Easier to park, I can squeeze thru tight spots and the handling is better.

Just a few days ago, I managed to squeeze the IS thru a lane to make a right turn. The driver in the newest gen Accord behind me tried, but stopped. He probably did not want feel his Accord could make it. The newest Accords are getting to be too big as well.
Old 11-30-10, 05:16 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MaxNine
Seeing that you're from Texas, I sure you like things huge. lol

Unlike most of the U.S., I like my cars on the smaller size. Easier to park, I can squeeze thru tight spots and the handling is better.

Just a few days ago, I managed to squeeze the IS thru a lane to make a right turn. The driver in the newest gen Accord behind me tried, but stopped. He probably did not want feel his Accord could make it. The newest Accords are getting to be too big as well.
No, I'm not from TX, but thanks anyway!

How is an IS a big car? Living in CA I'm sure the smaller space is nice, but I would hardly call the IS (1st or 2nd Gen) a big car. For a 4-door I would even say it's small.

Just because you stuck your car into a small lane doesn't say much of anything. Sure, I could stick my car in much smaller places, but why risk it? So you can save 15 seconds than simply waiting on the light to turn green. I'll catch up with you when you hit the next red light anyway
Old 11-30-10, 05:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Who knows, because "will ride on stretched platform" is such a loose interpretation of "based on", the reality is the number of common parts will be so few.
Old 11-30-10, 07:06 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

As long as they finally offer a stick in the IS-F I'll be happy.
Old 12-01-10, 05:34 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

The high-performance IS-F variant will retain a V-8 engine but could pick up an optional six-speed manual transmission.

Does this mean it will have a clutch?
Old 12-01-10, 07:24 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by metalgear
Does this mean it will have a clutch?
The above mentioned quote simply dismisses the validity and reliability of the article.

Lexus is not going to put any manual transmission on a limited production vehicle. They didn't put it on the LFA; they surely won't use it on the IS-F.
Old 12-01-10, 07:52 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by situman
A $40k car built on a chasis for a ~$25k. Great idea. I guess in a few years, if you want a true Lexus not built on a Toyota platform, you will really have to pay thru the nose.
You really should be comparing the IS250 to the FT 86.... the base respectively is about 32k and 25k. 7k is not big of a difference considering for a Lexus you are paying a premium, so the actual difference is smaller.
Old 12-01-10, 08:58 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Subaru is the FT, and ALL Subaru's have AWD. How hard is it to add another 2 doors to this platform? With different sheetmetal? I don't think it'd be hard at all. Maybe the article has some things wrong. But I suspect that the FT will bow after the new IS.

Quick Reply: Report: 2014 Lexus IS Will Ride On Stretched FT-86 Platform