Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does It Bother You When They Say, "It's A Toyota"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 11:46 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does It Bother You When They Say, "It's A Toyota"?

So, I was talking to a friend, telling him about the Lexus LFA, and how amazing it is, and how its better than the R8 and Ferrari 599. Also mentioned how the Lexus cars are just great in reliability and luxury and all that jazz.

But at the end, he still says, "It's just a toyota", or "It's still a Toyota". Or when I told him about the LFA, he goes, "I would rather have someone ask me 'Is that your Ferrari?', than say 'Is that your Toyota?'"

I than bring up how Infiniti is owned by Nissan, and how VW owns Porsche and Lamborghini, also stating that just cause its Toyota owned doesn't mean that its bad. He mentions how Lexus is built with Toyota parts, and how thats bad or whatever. I donno.

All I know, is that whenever I give praise to how much I like Lexus, and how I prefer it over German makes, all I hear is, "It's a Toyota". And it annoys the hell out of me. :|
Old 11-24-10, 11:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Hasn't bothered me in a long time. Whenever anyone says that, I totally tune it out and disregard it. Also if someone is being a real ***hole about it, and that someone happens to have a nice car, I usually make fun of their car in return.

For example, to a Ferrari owner, you can always reply with "nice Fiat", or to a Lambo owner you can reply "nice VW" .
Old 11-25-10, 12:01 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

it doesn't bother me that people call my lexus "a toyota," as it's their ignorance that they can't really tell the difference. sure, the parts may be from toyota and there are some major similarities, but until one has driven in a toyota and then in a lexus, one cannot simply make the assumption that a lexus is a toyota.
Old 11-25-10, 12:06 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-25-10, 12:20 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
it doesn't bother me that people call my lexus "a toyota," as it's their ignorance that they can't really tell the difference. sure, the parts may be from toyota and there are some major similarities, but until one has driven in a toyota and then in a lexus, one cannot simply make the assumption that a lexus is a toyota.
I know right?

The drivetrains are completely different. Every toyota sedan is FWD, instead of their Matrix and Venza which has an AWD option to it. Where as Lexus sedans are all RWD instead of the ES, which is FWD.
Old 11-25-10, 12:26 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

And Mercedes shares engines with Hyundai. . . big deal. And the Bugatti Veyron shares elements (LOL) with a Passat and Golf. . . the Turbo W16 is essentially (hahahaha) two slapped together W8, with a turbo on each bank. He's seriously stupid if he'd walk up to a Veyron and say, oh, it's just a VW.
Old 11-25-10, 01:02 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
So, I was talking to a friend, telling him about the Lexus LFA, and how amazing it is, and how its better than the R8 and Ferrari 599. Also mentioned how the Lexus cars are just great in reliability and luxury and all that jazz.

But at the end, he still says, "It's just a toyota", or "It's still a Toyota". Or when I told him about the LFA, he goes, "I would rather have someone ask me 'Is that your Ferrari?', than say 'Is that your Toyota?'"

I than bring up how Infiniti is owned by Nissan, and how VW owns Porsche and Lamborghini, also stating that just cause its Toyota owned doesn't mean that its bad. He mentions how Lexus is built with Toyota parts, and how thats bad or whatever. I donno.

All I know, is that whenever I give praise to how much I like Lexus, and how I prefer it over German makes, all I hear is, "It's a Toyota". And it annoys the hell out of me. :|
Ignorant folks do not know that Lexus is owned by Toyota.
Knowledgeable folks know that Lexus is owned by Toyota and therefore attention to detail and reliability are#1.

So help me understand who would make such a remark.
Old 11-25-10, 02:02 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Doesn't bother me at all. I didn't buy the car because of the brand name anyway. If they call my GS a Toyota than I'm just proud to own a pretty good Toyota. I really don't see what the big deal is as it just a name and doesn't change the car itself one bit.
Old 11-25-10, 06:57 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't give a hoot about it honestly. I go around telling people my car is a Toyota anyways, because underneath the badge, it's all coming from Toyota. I got the label on my windshield to prove it
Old 11-25-10, 07:06 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only envious people would say that and it doesn't bother me because I know they are hating. I try not to get upset over people with personal issues.
Old 11-25-10, 08:17 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Well for one, I'd say "that's the best part about it". don't really care, in the same way Audis and today more than ever Lamborghinis are Volkswagens.

P.S. your friend is an ***.
Old 11-25-10, 09:10 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by dj.ctwatt
And Mercedes shares engines with Hyundai. . . big deal. And the Bugatti Veyron shares elements (LOL) with a Passat and Golf. . . the Turbo W16 is essentially (hahahaha) two slapped together W8, with a turbo on each bank. He's seriously stupid if he'd walk up to a Veyron and say, oh, it's just a VW.
Lol.... what?
Old 11-25-10, 09:31 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Lol.... what?
Hmm.....he may have been referring to this:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/09/h...mercedes-benz/

But it appears that it was only a proposal for engine sharing between Hyundai and MB. In the end, nothing was final.

From what I know, Hyundai and Mitsubishi and Chrysler have a stake in GEMA and created a "World Engine"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_...uring_Alliance

But nothing where MB was involved

---------
Anyways:
For me personally, all I can say is:
People are free to believe what ever they want to believe (and I try my best to stick to that and not impose anything on anyone.........even though the temptation is strong to do otherwise)

So in relation to Lexus:
Well personally I don't care. Same can be said by anyone else for any other car brand. Still, if that's what they say, then fine.

For me, it's just simple. If I know I like a car, I like it. If not, then I don't.

There's nothing else to it

Two cents.....
Old 11-25-10, 09:34 AM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Or you could say to someone who has a VW Routan: Nice Chrysler!! since its written chrysler all over it.
Old 11-25-10, 11:16 AM
WAES300
Driver

I would take that as a compliment. Thanks, my car runs better at 200K than your (numerous other crappy cars) that has 50K and a blown tranny.

Quick Reply: Does It Bother You When They Say, "It's A Toyota"?