Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Holiday Review: 2011 Jaguar XKR Supercharged Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 09:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Here is a great comparison of the XKR and the Aston Martin Vantage.

SPOILER: The Jaguar actually wins over the Vantage!
It's not surprising that the XKR took a slight edge in performance...the Jag, of course, is lighter than the Aston. The film, in general, is also a little out-of-date........the XK/XKR, today, has a 5.0L instead of the 4.2L in the film.

Of course, in my reviews, I don't do the kind of burnouts/drifting/donuts that Clarkson does. He abuses the hell out of his test-cars.
Old 11-24-10, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Jag XK's are popular here. A friend at my tennis club is on his second one (this XKR gen and prior gen XK convertibles), enjoys it daily.
Not surprising.....CA is one of the better XK markets, especially in the more high-income areas. They generally sell fairly well in the D.C. area, too, (compared to most regions of the country)....but, of course, not in Camry/Accord numbers.

Happy and Safe Thanksgiving to all!
You too. Since neither you or I drink, maybe we'll both end up as designated drivers.
Old 11-24-10, 09:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great review Mike,
Thanks. Unlike some of my reviews (especially the recent one with the new Scion tC), I really enjoyed this one.

I love this car (in coupe form). Happy Thanksgiving!
The coupe version (though I didn't check-drive it) would likely have even better ride/handling/steering thanthe convertible, because of less flex in the chassis.....though the cowl-flex in this convertible was low enough that I did not notice significant amounts.

You have a nice Turkey day, too. This is probably your first Thanksgiving, with your wife, as a married man.
Old 11-24-10, 10:08 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congragulations to your friend. A beautiful car. I'm sure he will enjoy it. I hope he got one with the new warranty and free maintenance.

On the "360", at what point in time were you talkng about? Since Ford bought them out in the late 1980s? Or more recently when Jaguar/Land Rover was sold off to Tata?
I would say a few years back I truly thought Jag was losing some of their prestige despite the fact that Ford improved their quality. One thing I can always say is that I always love their interior. Yes the xk was design by the same guy that designed the DB9/Vantage. But until you ride in a current Aston Martin especially being push to the limit you will never understand just how special a Vantage is compared to a Jag.

Last edited by rogers2; 11-24-10 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-24-10, 10:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogers2
Yes the xf was design by the same guy that designed the DB9/Vantage. But until you ride in a current Aston Martin especially being push to the limit you will never understand just how special a Vantage is compared to a Jag.
PhilipMSPT just posted a video where Jeremy Clarkson pushed an XKR and Vantage to their limits (much harder than anything I would ever do on a new-vehicle review) and he actually preferred the Jag.

And today's XK is even better than the one in the film.....it has a 5.0L instead of a 4.2L.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1jN87hMqSI
Old 11-24-10, 10:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
I freakin' love this car. Stylin', class, exclusivity. It just screams elegance.
That's why I said, in the review, that sitting in it and driving it was like dating a supermodel.

Thanks for another great review.
Sure...anytime.

The 2011 Ford Explorer, 2012 Ford Focus, and 2011 Hyundai Equus reviews are coming up. But I don't know how Hyundai is going to market the Equus in my area (or allow conventional test-drives), the Explorer won't be out till around Christmas, and the Focus will be released in January (as a 2012 model, it can't legally be released before Jan. 1).
Old 11-24-10, 12:18 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...The 2011 Ford Explorer, ...the Explorer won't be out till around Christmas, .
XKR owns the AM V8... I have not driven a V12, and I like the look of the Aston better.... but not quite $40K better

As far as the new Explorer, VERY interested in this as the new DD... keep me posted Mike
Old 11-24-10, 01:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
As far as the new Explorer, VERY interested in this as the new DD... keep me posted Mike
Yeah.....I don't know why Ford is delaying its introduction until Christmas (ditto for the Hyundai Equus). Most of the 2011's were introduced by September or October.
Old 11-24-10, 08:31 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review and Happy Thanksgiving Mmarshall!
I really love the XKR, been my favorite Jag for a while. Pretty rare though have not seen one in person yet.
Old 11-25-10, 08:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
Nice review and Happy Thanksgiving Mmarshall!
Thanks. Same to you. I'm headed out to suburban MD, this afternoon, north of D.C., to have Thanksgiving dinner with friends.

I really love the XKR, been my favorite Jag for a while. Pretty rare though have not seen one in person yet.
They (probably) don't sell many in the middle of the country where you are. On the East Coast, from D.C. to New York, and in CA they do better, although, of course, not in Camry/Accord numbers. The XKR is not a cheap car to get into, and lots of folks don't have that kind of money. Jaguar's long-standing reputation for unreliability generally doesn't help, either.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-25-10 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-25-10, 09:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews: 2011 Ford Explorer, 2011 Hyundai Equus, 2012 Ford Focus.

The new Explorer won't be out until Christmas, though (why so late, Ford hasn't said). The new Focus, being a 2012 model, by law, can't be released until after January 1. I'm not sure if I will be able to conventionally test-drive an Equus because of Hyundai's unique marketing of that vehicle.
Old 11-26-10, 03:45 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

PhilipMSPT just posted a video where Jeremy Clarkson pushed an XKR and Vantage to their limits (much harder than anything I would ever do on a new-vehicle review) and he actually preferred the Jag.

And today's XK is even better than the one in the film.....it has a 5.0L instead of a 4.2L.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1jN87hMqSI
That video is old. The Vantage is probaly 2 times better now. Especially since it now comes with a v12. The XKR is a fast luxury coupe. The Vantage is for the track.

Last edited by rogers2; 11-26-10 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-26-10, 10:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That video is old. The Vantage is probaly 2 times better now. Especially since it now comes with a v12. The XKR is a fast luxury coupe. The Vantage is for the track.
Yes. The XKR in the video is also one of the older 4.2L models. It has a 5.0L now.

Still, it's probably a more-or-less-fair comparison, especially with an aggressive-driving nut like Clarkson behind the wheel. PhilipMSPT first posted it, and he knows what he is doing......he doesn't post junk.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-26-10 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-26-10, 01:45 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The V12 Vantage has 510 hp. (The V8 Vantage is 420 hp.)
The Jag XKR has a 510 hp supercharged V8. (The regular V8 has 380 hp.)

Since both the V12 Aston and the Jag XKR have the same hp, I would consider them direct rivals. Both have progressed nicely since that video noted above was produced. BOTH are fast luxury coupes. BOTH are track worthy.

I would love to see a rematch...

......he doesn't post junk.
At least not in Car Chat.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 11-26-10 at 01:54 PM.