Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Flipside909's LA Auto Show 2010 Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-10, 08:09 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Flipside909's LA Auto Show 2010 Coverage

November 17, 2010 - Los Angeles, CA – Its that time again as auto show season kicks off at the 2010 Los Angeles Auto Show. There are more than 50 new vehicle debuts including two major announcements from the Toyota camp. The first is the introduction of the Toyota RAV4 EV powered by Tesla. This is their second interpretation of the RAV4 in Electric Vehicle form however it is the first collaboration with Tesla Motors. This RAV4 EV will have a driving range of 100 miles in various types of driving patterns and climates. The general exterior stays the same however the front fascia sports a distinct front end with a an electrical plug inspired EV logo on the nose. Inside remains virtually unchanged but the gated gear shifter in the center column is deleted in place of a push button type drive selector. Initially, Toyota and Tesla plan to build 35 units for 2011 and projects to roll out full production versions in 2012. It is to be determined where Toyota and Tesla will build this but my guess is that they will continue to build the RAV4 in Canada at the TMMC plant in Cambridge, Ontario as the electric powerplants will be sourced from Tesla’s new facility in the Bay Area, Palo Alto, CA to be exact. Another possibility would be the revival of NUMMI where it may get its second wind. Only time will tell if the former Toyota/GM joint venture facility will be the new birthplace for the RAV4 EV. During Jim Lentz’s presentation they rolled out video of the RAV4 EV in motion. At first glance, it reminded me of a Honda CR-V but i’m fairly certain it was not their intent. Elon Musk, Tesla’s CEO was present during the press conference.

In its 4th production year, the tenth generation Corolla receives a refresh however the luxurious but slow selling XLE and more powerful XRS are dropped in favor of simplifying the trim levels to only three. The CE, value packed LE and the sport themed S will be the the choices. The redesigned Corolla receives an exterior to the front and back and interior updates to the inside. Notably the steering wheel has been upgraded to have a better, sportier appeal. The new radio has a trick new dot marix display which is similar to whats found in newer Toyota models. Gone is the generic back lit Toyota green LCD display. Overall, the new updates are pretty sharp however there as there are obvious hints of Yaris and Camry in the front. I’m saddened Toyota decided to kill the XRS model as this was some hope that the Corolla would be a worthy contender in the sport compact market. Bad move in my opinion.

Adjacent to the Toyota display, Scion brings out their three story cage with a host of the usual custom, tricked out variety of xB, xD, tC and concept iQ’s. A new Scion iQ was displayed on the floor with the 2010 SEMA tC project cars, the new xB Release Series 8.0 in a vibrant Voodoo Blue and a various xD models both stock and modded. Scion continues to lead the way by offering four value packaged models which appeal to different tastes. With a strong aftermarket presence, buyers can customize their Scion to stand out from the rest.

Lexus comes out strong this year with their focus on hybrid technology. Lexus is the world leader in luxury hybrids as they showoff three customized SEMA project cars at their floor this year. The race ready 0-60 Magazine GS 450h, VIP Auto Salon’s HS 250h and their modern luxury LS 600hL are showcased in the front row. The Darker Side of Green makes its way to Los Angeles for the first time with the new CT 200h in a rich Fire Agate Pearl. The Smoky Granite LFA which was recently showed at SEMA in Las Vegas and flogged around Monticello Raceway in New York just this past Saturday made it just time for the opening of the LA Auto Show. A fully optioned Starfire Pearl IS 350 F-Sport was parked next to the LS 460 Sport. New for this years show is a huge LED display which nearly stretches the whole width of the Lexus display area. The vibrant display draws your attention from afar as different Lexus models are flashed on to the screen. You can find Lexus strategically sandwiched between the Audi and Mercedes Benz displays in the South Hall.

More photos HERE!

Last edited by flipside909; 11-19-10 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-18-10, 08:31 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Fresh from NY:

Old 11-18-10, 10:08 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice photos Flip. I guess one of the perks to being part of the press is seeing everything before everyone else with no crowds. Interesting that CT200h design elements are in the Corolla specifically in the fog light design. Seems like my prediction was correct concerning the gray LFA appearing at the LA autoshow instead of the yellow. Btw does it seem that the Lexus booth is getting bigger each year?
Old 11-18-10, 10:20 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent pics. They really go all out on some of the displays.
Old 11-18-10, 10:34 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

great pics! no platform for the LFA, yet you know it commands attention! meanwhile, cant wait for the CT to hit the streets
Old 11-18-10, 11:41 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So no yellow lfa there? So far looking good for sf!

Wish we got the ct though it would really sell well up here.
Old 11-18-10, 03:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

There will be some goodies at the Lexus booth for SF Auto Show. I could tell you now, but that would take the fun out of the whole surprise factor. I might try to make SF Auto Show when I come up for Thanksgiving weekend.

The booth space is actually the same size as last year. That huge LED screen in the back makes it look even bigger.
Old 11-18-10, 05:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Looking forward to it (SF show), thanks for the update!
Old 11-18-10, 06:46 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
So no yellow lfa there? So far looking good for sf!

Wish we got the ct though it would really sell well up here.
I heard the yellow LFA was at Coliseum Lexus today.
Old 11-18-10, 08:25 PM
LexFather

Thanks Ryan, keep us updated

Old 11-18-10, 09:34 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
There will be some goodies at the Lexus booth for SF Auto Show. I could tell you now, but that would take the fun out of the whole surprise factor. I might try to make SF Auto Show when I come up for Thanksgiving weekend.

The booth space is actually the same size as last year. That huge LED screen in the back makes it look even bigger.
Sounds Good!

I can't wait!!!

Last edited by GiantsFan; 11-18-10 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-18-10, 10:03 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

amazing booth... I'd love to see that in person
Old 11-19-10, 08:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
There will be some goodies at the Lexus booth for SF Auto Show. I could tell you now, but that would take the fun out of the whole surprise factor.
Thanks for the pictures, Ryan.

The new IS350AWD should be there......in fact, here on the East Coast, I've already reviewed it. The CT should also be there...if you haven't already seen it. It will be interesting to see, though, if there is a GS-F.

If you get a chance, check out the new 2011 Ford Explorer at the L.A. show and give us a quick-take on it. I've been waiting for some time to review it (a number of CL member-requests)....it still hasn't been released on the East Coast, though the Ford people now say early December, and I also expect to also see it at the late-January D.C. Show.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-19-10 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-19-10, 08:19 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice write and pictures, thanks so much or share.
Old 11-19-10, 08:45 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the pictures, Ryan.

The new IS350AWD should be there......in fact, here on the East Coast, I've already reviewed it. The CT should also be there...if you haven't already seen it. It will be interesting to see, though, if there is a GS-F.

If you get a chance, check out the new 2011 Ford Explorer at the L.A. show and give us a quick-take on it. I've been waiting for some time to review it (a number of CL member-requests)....it still hasn't been released on the East Coast, though the Ford people now say early December, and I also expect to also see it at the late-January D.C. Show.
Yeah I actually saw the CT many times and on two continents.

I saw the new Ford Explorer at SEMA a few weeks back. It is totally a departure from the last generation. It's modern and definitely loud. Ford is really stepping up the game lately trying to get their swagger back. I'm going to have to give that credit to former Lexus VP/GM, and first cousin of Chris Farley...Jim.

Last edited by flipside909; 11-19-10 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Flipside909's LA Auto Show 2010 Coverage