Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top Gear (US version): New History channel show premeires 11/21/10

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10, 06:13 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I didn't think it was too bad.

It certainly has that "first episode" feel to it, no question. It's going to take some time for the hosts to get some chemistry going.

As for the challenge, I think the UK guys have done dumber ones. The one where Clarkson is chased by tanks using "live ammo" was a tad stupid. No, they weren't using live ammo and shooting at him.

Personally, I'm going to give it a season to see how it pans out. I'm hopeful.
Old 11-22-10, 06:41 AM
patrickgs3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

utter fail!! tanner faust needs to drift his way into an active volcano. i would rather watch a show hosted by retired crash dummies then these three bunch of no name hoodlums. I had that gut feeling that when they tried to mimic the UK series that it would be a total disaster and these truths have been revealed so I will continue giving my business to the UK version. hey who knows..maybe they can boost ratings by making their new stig Stacey David from GEARZ cause we all know things have worked out sooo well for him.

Old 11-22-10, 07:02 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BoostedE21
Most of the TG USA's writing staff is composed of TG UK writers. It's still property of the BBC. It's an extension of the brand, just like TG AUS. They have every right to give it the TG name. The UK hosts are behind the new show. I get sick of people bashing the new show because "it will never live up to the UK version."

So what? Look at the automotive garbage we get on TV over here. Pinks, Pimp my Ride, and a slew of nonsense with empty headed girls in bikinis talking to a guy with a Astro Van and a million subwoofers. the new version will be way better than any of those, and it's a great alternative for when TG UK is off the air.

And don't judge it based on one episode. It's a brand new series. They have to satisfy the general american "car audience," which consists mainly of brand *****s and teenagers obsessed with shiny wheels, subwoofers, and useless spoilers - along with the TG UK fans, all in one show. So of course the start is going to be a bit weird, as they grab new fans while trying to create host chemistry and build up a reputation. Remember back to season one of the UK version - Jason Rowe did a section on how you can buy a 1989 ford fiesta for cheap, for christ sakes. And then he was canned for lack of chemistry. Even when James May came in, it was awkward for a while, until they realized that people like the insane challenges. Now they do those every other episode.

Give it time. They have some learning to do, and learn they will. Give feedback to the history channel - the producers always appreciate constructive criticism.

And having met Clarkson, Hammond and May and been to a filming of the UK version, I can tell you that the UK version is 100% scripted as well. It has to be. You can't exactly do a race through public roads just on a whim.
+1 i agree. its only the first episode of the series guys give it a break. and i enjoyed the episode. didnt like how long the viper segment was though
Old 11-22-10, 08:21 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My two cents.

Last year they produced a Russian version of Top Gear. It was also licensed by BBC, and it was exactly the same format. Three presenters, Stig, same studio, etc.

Now the first several episodes completely sucked and were painful to watch. It was obvious that all the script was translated from English, often poorly, and all the British jokes translated into Russian were extremely lame and hurt my ears.

However, starting with episode 7 or 8, the show really TOOK OFF! They started using original scripts, chemistry started to work between the presenters, and the show became almost as good as the British version. It is too bad they canceled it after the first season.

I'm just hoping that the US Top Gear can take off in a similar way. The thing that bothered me the most about yesterdays episode is rather poor camera work. Filming and audio quality just doesn't compare to the British version. The producers seriously should invest in better equipment.
Old 11-22-10, 03:44 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly it's the FIRST EPISODE EVER. They are bound to suck, even the UK one sucked the first few SEASONS. You can tell that the three lads still need to work on chemistry but the thing is, I can definitely tell that with time they will find it very easily. I honestly found Rutledge to be genuinely entertaining with some of his comments. Tanner is already a lot more loose and less uptight than on his Speed show, and will only improve with time. Adam.. I didn't like him very much until the end of the Lamborghini section where he was shaking with giddy delight. Pure unscripted stuff like that is great, and as the three guys get to know each other better, it will feel more natural. And I've heard History let reviewers see the first three episodes; the general consensus is that the series is FAR better 2nd week, and frankly finds its stride by third. Quicker than I hoped for, to be honest.

Also, I thought it was great seeing US towns represented in Top Gear format. One thing I always had reservations about watching the UK Top Gear is that they always talked about European towns which I couldn't relate to at all. It's just really cool seeing the typical Top Gear presentation and activities in US cities I can relate to.

Technical things they need to work on:
-Editing. Things felt really choppy between transitions, especially in studio. And the Buzz interview was SUPER RUSHED.
-Commercials. Dumping one in the middle of a segment kills the momentum. Choose better breaks
-Dim the house lights! Seeing the studio lit up so brightly frankly makes it cheaper looking.
-Audience. They seem so dead. Liven up a little people; that will help with the bleak silences that make the presenters seem even more awkward.

Last edited by knihc2008; 11-22-10 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-22-10, 06:39 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

It wasn't bad, but I wanted to know more about the host, besides tanner, who are they? Also I know it does not have near the budget at the UK Top gear, but the camera work needs to be improved.
Old 11-22-10, 08:20 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice....i liked this show....

lamborghini lp-570-4 "terrifyind and exciting at the same time,,,like getting aroused at gunpoint"

rofl
Old 11-22-10, 08:38 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
It wasn't bad, but I wanted to know more about the host, besides tanner, who are they? Also I know it does not have near the budget at the UK Top gear, but the camera work needs to be improved.
meh...i don't even know who tanner is, let alone the other two

good for me....i have no expectations of them - preconcieved or otherwise.
Old 11-22-10, 09:18 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I was bored 10 mins into the program. First episode or not, Top Gear US doesn't have the same personality or enthusiasm as the original TGUK.
Old 11-22-10, 09:27 PM
charles87k
Rookie

I went to a taping about a month ago in Irvine. It gets better, believe me. Not UK version good, but good in its own way. Also, the US version is written by the same guy that writes the UK version.
Old 11-22-10, 11:26 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everyone here should watch the first few episodes of TGUK and do a comparison.....ive seen them, theyre nothing to write home about either....
Old 11-23-10, 05:42 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I hope people give it a chance to succeed. Many hugely successful shows throughout history had some rough starts but fortunately were given a chance.
A couple of examples come to my mind. Seinfeld almost got canceled early on, and its ratings suffered for the first 2-3 seasons. It is now rated the biggest show in history. Family Guy has been canceled twice. It now has a huge following and is the funniest show on TV.

Seems likes too much weight is placed on premieres or even first seasons. The past shows that TV shows have always improved greatly after the first season. A lot of development and kinks have to be worked out that aren't foreseen at inception. Plus, budgets usually increase.

Let's hope the History channel doesn't can it before it takes off.
Old 11-23-10, 08:31 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

First impression... meh, could be better. But I'll give it some time, as the show is just getting off the ground.

The hosts?
Of the three, Foust is the only one that anyone has ever heard of (and even he isn't a household name, really). But he does bring some credibility to the show, since he can give you driving impressions of the cars from the standpoint of a professional.

The other two... neither did much for me. I can see where they are going with them, but since they are unknowns, they don't seem to carry much weight with the audience.

Adam Ferrara seems like he's supposed to be the 'everyman' in the show. Someone that we all can relate to. The average guy who works 9 to 5, likes cars, and plays poker with his buddies once a week. But he just seems to have no real personality (at least so far). This really showed with the Buzz Aldrin interview, where he could have really showed personality as a host, but didn't. I think a much better fit would have been Adam Corrola or Joe Rogan. Both relatively naturally funny, and both known to be actual car guys.

Rutledge Wood on the other hand, seems to be slated (so far) as the typical American hick, hillbilly, or redneck to a degree. Not in a bad way necessarily, but more as someone the NASCAR/musclecar crowd can relate to. I get the impression he's gonna be our version of "Captain Slow" eventually.

But if these three can loosen up a bit, and build some chemistry, it might work. I saw a little bit of a spark in the Lambo segment. Like Rutledge ribbing Tanner a little about not being the fastest. Or Adam's "Shift, F***! Shift, F***!" as he's making his run. Bring some of that feel into the studio, or the voice-overs, and it'll feel more natural. The hosts make or break a show like this.

The biggest thing the show needs though? A bit more 'Americanization'. British jokes work fine with British hosts, but not when they're forced onto American comedians. Let in American writers who know (or should) what works with US audiences. Or better yet, let Ferrara and Wood have a good bit of input on the script (a quick Google search shows Ferrara as an actor/stand-up comic, and Wood as a humorous Speed channel personality).

It has the potential of being a good, funny, and entertaining car show. Especially since everything else is either totally bland (Motorweek, My Classic Car, Gearz, etc.) or pseudo-reality based (American Chopper, Street Customs). Hopefully it's given time to get past it's growing pains, and the producers give the hosts some freedom to make it work.
Old 11-23-10, 11:21 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked the first episode. I had some slow and uncomfortable moments (interview with Buzz) but not bad for a first episode. I will keep watching.
Old 11-23-10, 11:33 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didnt even watch it wont give them my ratings. TGUK FTW !

Quick Reply: Top Gear (US version): New History channel show premeires 11/21/10