Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top Gear (US version): New History channel show premeires 11/21/10

Old 09-07-11, 07:20 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 91dx
You're kidding right? The car show is horrible. Adam Corolla is not funny and why is the black guy there? I gave it a few chances and it has always dissapointed.

TGUS isn't bad. It's better than nothing when TGUK is on break. It'll take a little more time to build up some chemistry between the hosts.
Adam Carolla may not be funny to you but many find him funny. Did you ever watch "The Man Show"? That show is classic, don't know any guys that did not find it or the hosts funny. Adam can't try to be too funny on "The Car Show" because it is not really a comedy show but he still has some good lines.

I find the chemistry between the hosts on "The Car Show" much better then Top Gear USA. The hosts on TG USA just don't work and everything seems forced, the blatant fake enthusiasm and busting on each other is really irritating. Corolla was supposed to be a host of Top Gear USA but could not get out of a pilot he was shooting.
Old 09-07-11, 07:41 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Top Gear is getting better. I'm glad they brought a version of the show here. I get a little tired of watching shows about cars I can't buy!!!! Anyway, I'm giving the US version the benefit of the doubt. When the original came out in UK, it was also very dry. The chemistry they have has been formed over many seasons. I hope History doesn't do anything stupid and start changing the hosts. The three of them have gotten much better this second season and I've enjoyed it much more. I really do think it will get better. They need to rip on Tanner more! And Ferrara has to be allowed to be funnier. His standup can be hilarious but also a bit edgy.

I've caught a couple of episodes of The Car Show... no sell.
Old 09-24-11, 06:16 PM
91dx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I really enjoy The Car Show. And Corolla is hilarious.

What's wrong with John Sally? He's a co-host just like the others? The way you said it doesn't sound too good, just a heads up.
looks like you might be the only one who enjoyed the original hour long format
http://jalopnik.com/5843562/the-car-...ley-30-minutes

There's been a massive shake-up at SPEED TV's automotive variety program The Car Show with former NBA great and current TV not-so-great John Salley axed from the show, along with 30 minutes of the formerly hour-long program, as Jalopnik exclusively learned. Details below.

This sudden move shouldn't come as a surprise to viewers of the new program as Salley, despite his experience hosting a similar show in the past, didn't fit in with the other hosts. In fact, Salley was usually the butt of a joke, playing the role of the uninformed foil to the other three. Also, everyone knows car shows are supposed to have three hosts.

"I'm a little sad because I really like John; he's one of the coolest people I know," remaining member of the new triumvirate Matt Farah told Jalopnik. "But the network felt it was time for a change and that they really wanted the hosts to all be "experts," which everyone knows John is not."

Salley has been described as being alright with the whole thing. We don't blame him. He was ill-served by The Car Show.

The other major shift is what's being described as a "format change," with the remaining episodes being dropped to 30 minutes instead of the current hours. This will "trim the fat and the fluff" and shift the focus fully to cars and also extend the season to 15 episodes in order to occupy the same time.

This could be a reflection of the show's not particularly amazing ratings or just an honest realization that, as it currently stand, the show feels much longer than it should although we can't think of a many 30-minute variety shows that have been successful.

Unfortunately, in removing both Salley and half of each episode, The Car Show's producers have still failed to address the underlying problem as sources tell us they're still keeping the goddamn desk.
Old 08-16-12, 01:41 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

I know its not everyones favorite, but decent enough show with cars to watch while U.K is out.

Anybody watch the season premiere yesterday?
Pretty decent overall. Brought a smile to watch those patrol cars get smashed.
Old 08-16-12, 02:14 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I saw it, Tanner drove insane in that Z06 !