Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just scheduled my personalized demonstrations on the Hyundai Equus.

Old 11-16-10, 02:25 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that Mulsanne vs Equus comparison video was really corny. What was Motortrend thinking?

Originally Posted by BNR34
A 100% fully loaded LS460L with the executive class seating package is about $90k~$95k, it is very rarely seen, special order only $74k car is only nicely equipped, pretty far from fully loaded.

The $65k Equus have the same executive class seating package.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Hyundai fanboy defending the Equus here, I am still very much Lexus's biggest fan, and I don't foresee the Equus will be nicer then a LS460L, as the Genesis sedan is only 80% as nice as a GS.

I am just telling it like it is
You do get what you pay for though, just saying. Personally if I was in the market for a full-size luxury sedan, I wouldn't want dealer reps coming to my house. I personally find that as being too much of "door to door salesman" approach. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Luxury is mainly about the details, the experience, the refinement of things. Luxury is about excess. It's not just about having a feature checklist for a product and as a company making sure your product meets all those features on the checklist. That's essentially what Hyundai did with the Equus.

Speaking of little things, all LS models have 16-way driver and 12-way front passenger power seats. The Equus, including the Ultimate has only 12-way driver and 10-way front passenger power seats. Equus Ultimate also doesn't have 4 zone auto climate control, which is offered on the LS. As far as I know, Equus has no rear seat controls for the front passenger seat. Say if nobody is sitting in the front passenger seat, and you in the rear right seat want more legroom for yourself, you can do that in the LS.

A fully loaded LS460L with Executive Package offers a lot more than an Equus Ultimate. Even a decently loaded LS460L offers quite a few things that the Equus Ultimate does not have, such as the features I listed above.

Lexus has proven itself over the past 20 years. Hyundai has yet to prove itself. The Genesis only debuted not too long ago and the Equus is a new product. Lets see how these products hold up 5-10 years down the line.

Also direct from the Lexus website itself, an LS460L with the Executive Package has an MSRP of roughly 85K.
Old 11-16-10, 06:13 AM
LexFather

Guys the Equus seems to be a pretty impressive first effort from Hyundai, there is no need to beat the car up. Hyundai at least has the ***** to bring it here and create a car greater than any Acura, Saab, Infiniti, Volvo, etc.

We should welcome another D class flagship much like we ask the exotic realm to respect and welcome the LFA.

Old 11-16-10, 06:19 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Guys the Equus seems to be a pretty impressive first effort from Hyundai, there is no need to beat the car up. Hyundai at least has the ***** to bring it here and create a car greater than any Acura, Saab, Infiniti, Volvo, etc.

We should welcome another D class flagship much like we ask the exotic realm to respect and welcome the LFA.
I give Hyundai credit for even attempting to bring a car like this to the market.

I was simply pointing out comparisons to the LS in price or features are hard to do .
Old 11-16-10, 07:07 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay lets not get into another argument. I am sure some will be curious to hear BNR34's experiences here to see how it goes.
Part of the reasons for the argument is the need to reply every single negative comment about Hyundai as if it's unrealistic. Hyundai FULLY earned their negative connotations in the marketplace and it's perfectly reasonable for people to not like the company or brand.

This thread is about a SCHEDULED TEST DRIVE.... OP didn't post any previous experience with Hyundai so where or why is there a need for a rebuttal on a car or company that you have no experience with?

I would imagine
And OP, this is nothing personal towards you at all. But you're posting up a test drive thread a full month in advance. Congrats again. But obviously you've never been in the car so this thread is just more bait for everyone to feed off of.

As MMarshall stated, we'd (I'd) like to hear an actual impartial review from someone on the car. Not someone justifying a purchase a discount luxury start up vehicle just because.
Old 11-16-10, 09:08 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Wow, that Mulsanne vs Equus comparison video was really corny. What was Motortrend thinking?
It was meant to be funny.

You do get what you pay for though, just saying. Personally if I was in the market for a full-size luxury sedan, I wouldn't want dealer reps coming to my house. I personally find that as being too much of "door to door salesman" approach. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
For me, I don't want some minimum wage person driving my car back and forth, abusing it. Just like valet parking, but much greater distance and speed, oh yeah I am sure those guys would abuse the car to hell.

Luxury is mainly about the details, the experience, the refinement of things. Luxury is about excess. It's not just about having a feature checklist for a product and as a company making sure your product meets all those features on the checklist. That's essentially what Hyundai did with the Equus.
It is Hyundai's 1st attempt, so checklist first, refinement is probably next.

Speaking of little things, all LS models have 16-way driver and 12-way front passenger power seats. The Equus, including the Ultimate has only 12-way driver and 10-way front passenger power seats. Equus Ultimate also doesn't have 4 zone auto climate control, which is offered on the LS.
Umm, maybe the Equus don't have the bottom cushion extender on the driver seat, which is my favorite feature on my LS430.

As far as I know, Equus has no rear seat controls for the front passenger seat. Say if nobody is sitting in the front passenger seat, and you in the rear right seat want more legroom for yourself, you can do that in the LS.
The Equus has it.

A fully loaded LS460L with Executive Package offers a lot more than an Equus Ultimate. Even a decently loaded LS460L offers quite a few things that the Equus Ultimate does not have, such as the features I listed above.
That's not what I saw, maybe it is missing some very minor things like the 12 ways seat you mention, but overall, it got every single features offer by all the nicest luxury car on the market.

Lexus has proven itself over the past 20 years. Hyundai has yet to prove itself. The Genesis only debuted not too long ago and the Equus is a new product. Lets see how these products hold up 5-10 years down the line.
That's exactly what I am doing, I want to try it when it 1st come out, then see how they progress and improve.

Also direct from the Lexus website itself, an LS460L with the Executive Package has an MSRP of roughly 85K.
$85K does not include the Executive Package with the leg rest and ottoman, the Executive Package is special order only, it is not listed on the build page. Look thru the list carefully The last time I check, the Executive Package goes for a little over $10k.
Old 11-16-10, 09:59 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

That's what I am doing here.
Old 11-16-10, 10:02 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
As MMarshall stated, we'd (I'd) like to hear an actual impartial review from someone on the car. Not someone justifying a purchase a discount luxury start up vehicle just because.
That's what I am gonna do. I have no intention of buying the car, well unless I go broke in the future like I said.

I want a Bentley next, I am ready for some long overdue image
Old 11-18-10, 08:01 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

I love how everyone is comparing apples to oranges here. two round fruit that you eat that are 100% different from each other... just like the hayndai to lexus (or others) which are two cars that are luxury and totally different. mind you BOTH manufacturers are in the top 5 largest automakers in the world right now, hyandai built their own first car in 1975, lexus (toyota) is been around from 1934! WTF is wrong with you people ??
Old 11-18-10, 08:16 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

BNR34. There's no need to justify or defend your interest in this car. Looking forward to your first hand observations and experience with the car and the dealer treatment.
Old 11-18-10, 08:58 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
BNR34. There's no need to justify or defend your interest in this car. Looking forward to your first hand observations and experience with the car and the dealer treatment.
Thank you
Old 11-18-10, 09:04 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RomanTPA
I love how everyone is comparing apples to oranges here. two round fruit that you eat that are 100% different from each other... just like the hayndai to lexus (or others) which are two cars that are luxury and totally different. mind you BOTH manufacturers are in the top 5 largest automakers in the world right now, hyandai built their own first car in 1975, lexus (toyota) is been around from 1934! WTF is wrong with you people ??
Apple to orange? We are comparing Fuji apple to regular apple here.

The Equus Ultimate is a 100% direct clone of a LS460L Executive, Hyundai directly copied it. That's why I am so interested in it, because I am a big fan of the Lexus LS and I like to know my alternative.

My prediction is the Equus would have slightly lower material quality, build quality and refinement. Other then that, they are identical straight down to their tire size 245/45/19 (well the front anyway, rear of the Equus is staggered), 4.6L, HP rating, curb weight.......etc etc. Look at their spec sheet, every # is identical.

Their only huge difference between them is the MSRP.

If anything, the Equus is a lot more similar to the LS460 then the LS460 is similar to the S-class/7-series/A8/XJ....etc.

Last edited by BNR34; 11-18-10 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-18-10, 09:09 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Apple to orange? We are comparing Fuji apple to regular apple here.

The Equus Ultimate is a 100% direct clone of a LS460L Executive, Hyundai directly copied it.

My prediction is the Equus would have slightly lower material quality, lower build quality and lower refinement. Other then that, they are identical straight down to their tire size 245/45/19 (well the front anyway, rear of the Equus is staggered).

Their only huge difference is the MSRP.
apples and oranges are the similar down to their size/shape, but they do feel/look slightly defferent

Last edited by RomanTPA; 11-18-10 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-18-10, 09:22 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RomanTPA
apples and oranges are the similar down to their size/shape, but they do feel/look slightly defferent

I am guessing when you buy your fruits, you never intent to eat them?
Old 11-18-10, 10:11 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Keep us posted.

Somehow, I like the equus (not going to go into what other vehicles/design cues that it's borrowing).

I got to sit in one for the first time at the auto show and it's pretty nice.

One thing I noticed was the leather(?)-it felt very thin and was a little stretchy shiny, not sure how durable it's going to be.
Old 12-21-10, 03:51 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
One thing I noticed was the leather(?)-it felt very thin and was a little stretchy shiny, not sure how durable it's going to be.
That is my prediction. It will looks and feels ok, but the material and refinement won't be on par with the Lexus LS and MB S-class.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just scheduled my personalized demonstrations on the Hyundai Equus.