Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just scheduled my personalized demonstrations on the Hyundai Equus.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-10, 06:34 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Aegee14
Since price is 20% less and your perception of the car's interior (which I'm assuming you haven't seen in person) is 20% less in quality as well compared to the GS, does that mean in your perception the GS "is not really a bargain" as well?
The GS is a little different, since competitors to the GS is 5-series, E-class, A6, XF.....etc. None of them have the reliability of a GS, so that alone makes the GS stands out.

I also think that none of the other competitors offer more then the GS offer, they are more expensive is mostly due to paying for the badge.

So to answer your question, is the GS a bargain? I would say no, it is not. The GS is a great car for the price, but it sure is not cheap. I look at them as equal, just comes in different flavors. Also really even today, the Lexus badge still have a lower image then all the Euro brands, for people who wants the badge, they have to pay more.
Old 11-15-10, 06:35 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way i was at the lexus dealer the other day and a very nicely equipped ls460l was 74k with an 8k dollar rebate.
Old 11-15-10, 06:37 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by D-Boi
how is someone going to pay 60 grand for this car, you know what you can get for that kind of money. this car is fake in an out, fake lexus benz and beemer in and out just look at it. People who have the means to buy a luxury car wont go for it theylle get laughed at.
With your analogy, a Lexus is really just a fake Benz, so why is millions of us driving it and think it is the greatest car ever made?
Old 11-15-10, 06:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

By the way i was at the lexus dealer the other day and a very nicely equipped ls460l was 74k with an 8k dollar rebate.
A 100% fully loaded LS460L with the executive class seating package is about $90k~$95k, it is very rarely seen, special order only $74k car is only nicely equipped, pretty far from fully loaded.

The $65k Equus have the same executive class seating package.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Hyundai fanboy defending the Equus here, I am still very much Lexus's biggest fan, and I don't foresee the Equus will be nicer then a LS460L, as the Genesis sedan is only 80% as nice as a GS.

I am just telling it like it is
Old 11-15-10, 06:52 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BNR34
With your analogy, a Lexus is really just a fake Benz, so why is millions of us driving it and think it is the greatest car ever made?
Lexus isn't a fake benz at all in my opinion. The ES, GS,IS,RX,GX,SC look nothing like any mercedes and they never did. The only car that looked somewhat like a mercedes was the first and second generations ls400's. The thing with Hyundai is that they started out as a garbage company with garbage cars. Just because they made some money and decided to throw together a big car with some leather seats and shiny wheels and plastic wood dash does not mean its a Lexus or a benz. Plus Lexus is Toyota its a very reputable company and has been for decades. I mean come on would anyone here really buy the Equus??? Id much rather buy a 2009 used S550 for 40k with under 25k miles. or a used LS460 or a used A8. Lexus never built garbage embarrassing cars, they came out hardcore, this is not the case with Huyindai.
Old 11-15-10, 07:28 PM
LexFather

Okay lets not get into another argument. I am sure some will be curious to hear BNR34's experiences here to see how it goes.

Thread needs a pic DUB Equus

Last edited by LexFather; 11-15-10 at 07:31 PM.

Old 11-15-10, 07:30 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

so someone tell me again why they did away with the GENESIS badge/name?

....I mean it would help a LITTLE

Old 11-15-10, 08:40 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

BNR34 got stones to stand up against all the opinions. We can all tell that you are really passionate about this car, man. I think in a downsize-happy economy, Equus will get more hard looks from the fence-riders. Mike, nice dub pix, exactly what this thread needed.
Old 11-15-10, 09:31 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Okay lets not get into another argument. I am sure some will be curious to hear BNR34's experiences here to see how it goes.

Thread needs a pic DUB Equus

I know, how come everything always turns into an argument? I never said the Equus is nicer then any Lexus did I?

I won't drive the Equus until mid December or so, at least a month from now.....

Thanks for the DUB pic
Old 11-15-10, 10:22 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus isn't a fake benz at all in my opinion. The ES, GS,IS,RX,GX,SC look nothing like any mercedes and they never did. The only car that looked somewhat like a mercedes was the first and second generations ls400's. The thing with Hyundai is that they started out as a garbage company with garbage cars. Just because they made some money and decided to throw together a big car with some leather seats and shiny wheels and plastic wood dash does not mean its a Lexus or a benz. Plus Lexus is Toyota its a very reputable company and has been for decades. I mean come on would anyone here really buy the Equus??? Id much rather buy a 2009 used S550 for 40k with under 25k miles. or a used LS460 or a used A8. Lexus never built garbage embarrassing cars, they came out hardcore, this is not the case with Huyindai.
Man you are a Hyundai hatAr aren't you? I don't blame you, I am a badge snob sometime too

You are right, just about all Lexus models came out in the last 10 years are original design, but that is because Lexus is established now and they got design experience now, so they no longer have to copy other people. But everyone starts out somewhere and everyone copy someone when they first started out. Toyota just started a very long time ago, but even when they started in the 60s or so I think (don't quote me on that, don't feel like looking it up), even Toyota's cars were crap when they were starting out. If anything, Hyundai is progressing A LOT faster then Toyota. It took Toyota what, 50~60 years to get to how good they are today? Hyundai started out only like 20 years ago with the crap Excel, and the Sonata is just as good as the Camry and Accord now, if not better. The Genesis sedan and Equus is their 1st attempt to break into the premium segment and they are almost as good as a Lexus today, that is amazing!

After all that being said though, if all goes well, my choice for my next car would be a 10 years old Bentley Arnage for $40k with 40k miles, nothing scream luxury like a Bentley or Rolls-Royce does See how much of a badge snob I am, I look down on all Benz/BMW/Audi badges, I only think the Bentley badge is baller. I drive Lexus today because I am not looking for image, I want a reliable hassle free car so I can save money for my future life and hopefully a Bentley.

The Equus is my back up in case I go flat broke some day, I'll buy a 30k miles Equus for $15k

Last edited by BNR34; 11-15-10 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-15-10, 10:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
so someone tell me again why they did away with the GENESIS badge/name?

....I mean it would help a LITTLE
It would help a lot! I am pretty sure the name "Genesis" was what Hyundai was thinking about going with for their premium brand name. But then they decided it is too expensive to do all that and scrapped the idea. I wish they have gone with it though, it would be so much cooler. At least you can always buy the badge and put it on yourself, all KDM yo!
Old 11-15-10, 10:42 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BNR34
Man you are a Hyundai hatAr aren't you? I don't blame you, I am a badge snob sometime too

You are right, just about all Lexus models came out in the last 10 years are original design, but that is because Lexus is established now and they got design experience now, so they no longer have to copy other people. But everyone starts out somewhere and everyone copy someone when they first started out. Toyota just started a very long time ago, but even when they started in the 60s or so I think (don't quote me on that, don't feel like looking it up), even Toyota's cars were crap when they were starting out. If anything, Hyundai is progressing A LOT faster then Toyota. It took Toyota what, 50~60 years to get to how good they are today? Hyundai started out only like 20 years ago with the crap Excel, and the Sonata is just as good as the Camry and Accord now, if not better. The Genesis sedan and Equus is their 1st attempt to break into the premium segment and they are almost as good as a Lexus today, that is amazing!

After all that being said though, if all goes well, my choice for my next car would be a 10 years old Bentley Arnage for $40k with 40k miles, nothing scream luxury like a Bentley or Rolls-Royce does See how much of a badge snob I am, I look down on all Benz/BMW/Audi badges, I only think the Bentley badge is baller. I drive Lexus today because I am not looking for image, I want a reliable hassle free car so I can save money for my future life and hopefully a Bentley.

The Equus is my back up in case I go flat broke some day, I'll buy a 30k miles Equus for $15k
loll........
Old 11-15-10, 10:49 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

D-Boi,

Don't forget the LS430 is a direct clone of the W140 S-class! That's why I love mine, looks of a big Benz with Japanese ergonomics, refinement and reliability, the best of all world

Old 11-15-10, 10:56 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

loll........
I try out both extreme bro, I test drive both Equus and Mulsanne to prepare for either I do good in life or end up in the dumpster

But however my life turns out, I'll be rolling in a full size luxury boat
Old 11-15-10, 11:06 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DphtJJxDnBQ

Quick Reply: Just scheduled my personalized demonstrations on the Hyundai Equus.