Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Part of the Sultan of Brunei's car collection is for sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10, 02:32 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part of the Sultan of Brunei's car collection is for sale

The List

All cars are in New Zealand dollars. Plus its seems he's selling the cars at the price they were bought at.

I should show my parents the link lol Maybe when they are down in New Zealand they can go check the cars out.
Old 11-12-10, 03:20 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I just don't understand why someone would buy these cars straight from the manufacturer and then park them up in a garage and never drive them. It'd be like marrying a supermodel and then locking her in a glass case.
Old 11-12-10, 05:25 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A couple of those cars are over 35 years old; the Ferrari Daytona 365 GTB's, for example, having last been built in 1973. That's a LONG time in storage, and without maintenance, as some show in the photos, rubber components from tires, to seals, insulation, fuel and brake lines will have rotted away. Rust and corrosion take place in tiny places out of sight, and soon a valuable and historic car is junk.

But regular detailing aside, more serious damage can occur to more vital parts like cam and crank bearings that have likely flat-spotted after years of sitting idle. Most of these cars probably aren't driveable and will require hundreds of thousands of dollars to restore to running condition. There are no bargains here. These should be considered "barn finds", that despite their being unused, are worth considerably less than the asking price.

It points up the value of regular driving and maintenance of any mechanical device to its survival. Some years ago I worked with the Lone Star Flight Museum that maintains old WW2 warbirds in flying condition. At one time, our P-38 was grounded for several years because she was the only flying example of its kind, and was uninsurable. She literally became too valuable to fly.

Still, she was lovingly inspected and maintained, wheeled out to the flightline and those big Rolls-Merlin engines run up, flight controls and hydraulics exercised, and the aircraft was even put up on jacks so the gear could be cycled. All of this was necessary to keep fluids circulating, seals wet, and bearings indexed. Despite being grounded for several years, all of her maintenance certificates were current and was ready to fly on the day that two more P-38 sister ships took to the air, releasing her shackles and allowing her to fly once more.

Soon after, "Putt Putt Maru" was sold to a collector in Blythe, CA, and we sadly watched her depart after a high speed pass over the field, her Merlins in full song. She was back in the air - as she was meant to be. The fact that she was fully certificated, insured, and airworthy was tribute to the museum mechanics and many volunteers who put in the hours to maintain her flight status.

Had she just been locked away in a barn by a wealthy patron, she would have never flown again. I fear that many examples in the Sultan's collection will suffer the same fate - as immobile museum displays, unable to venture out onto the road ever again. That's just sad. Il Commendatore wouldn't have wanted it that way. He, of all people, understood that the proper display of a beautiful machine is not in a museum, but in its natural element, pistons surging, lifters clattering, and exhaust howling - as it revels in the task it was born to do.
Old 11-12-10, 07:05 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man 550k for a XJ220? That is around 400k! What a steal for one of the rarest 90s hyper cars outside of the McLaren F1

Also, I think he uses the 456 as a family car lol, its one of the three used cars in the lists (and parked in an actual garage), and its got 22k km on it

Last edited by mikez; 11-12-10 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-12-10, 08:13 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lil4X
.....It points up the value of regular driving and maintenance of any mechanical device to its survival. Some years ago I worked with the Lone Star Flight Museum that maintains old WW2 warbirds in flying condition. At one time, our P-38 was grounded for several years because she was the only flying example of its kind, and was uninsurable. She literally became too valuable to fly.

Still, she was lovingly inspected and maintained, wheeled out to the flightline and those big Rolls-Merlin engines run up, flight controls and hydraulics exercised, and the aircraft was even put up on jacks so the gear could be cycled. All of this was necessary to keep fluids circulating, seals wet, and bearings indexed. Despite being grounded for several years, all of her maintenance certificates were current and was ready to fly on the day that two more P-38 sister ships took to the air, releasing her shackles and allowing her to fly once more.

Soon after, "Putt Putt Maru" was sold to a collector in Blythe, CA, and we sadly watched her depart after a high speed pass over the field, her Merlins in full song. She was back in the air - as she was meant to be. The fact that she was fully certificated, insured, and airworthy was tribute to the museum mechanics and many volunteers who put in the hours to maintain her flight status.

Had she just been locked away in a barn by a wealthy patron, she would have never flown again. I fear that many examples in the Sultan's collection will suffer the same fate - as immobile museum displays, unable to venture out onto the road ever again. That's just sad. Il Commendatore wouldn't have wanted it that way. He, of all people, understood that the proper display of a beautiful machine is not in a museum, but in its natural element, pistons surging, lifters clattering, and exhaust howling - as it revels in the task it was born to do.
Nice story. I could almost hear her going by as I read it....

These cars up for sale, to me, (if indeed not maintained) represent what is wrong with certain sectors of any collectors market. Buy something, just to say you have it, then lock it away to never be seen again. I would hope the Sultan has a full time maintenance crew whose job was to keep everything in running order, and periodically fired up. But who knows...

This is why I always had a great respect for Leno, as a collector. Everything in his collection is run on a fairly regular basis, or in the process of being brought into drivable condition. Nothing sits to rot.

While museum pieces are nice to look at, it's not the same as letting them stretch their legs once in a while.
Old 11-12-10, 09:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The Sultan had better be careful.....he can't sell off too many and let second-place Jay Leno overtake him as the world's largest private-car collection.
Old 11-12-10, 10:16 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
A couple of those cars are over 35 years old; the Ferrari Daytona 365 GTB's, for example, having last been built in 1973. That's a LONG time in storage, and without maintenance, as some show in the photos, rubber components from tires, to seals, insulation, fuel and brake lines will have rotted away. Rust and corrosion take place in tiny places out of sight, and soon a valuable and historic car is junk.

interesting.

made me think of how much work Jay Leno must do on his cars just to keep his in shape.

these guys have too much money even to wipe their butts with.
Old 11-12-10, 04:50 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

The F355 Challenger with original delivery mileage only? That means they have never driven it at all after buying it? All these years? So they treated these super cars like diecast car models? Only for look. lol. But is it a good thing or bad thing for a machine not being used at all for so long.
Old 11-12-10, 08:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
made me think of how much work Jay Leno must do on his cars just to keep his in shape.

With the TONIGHT show that he has to do every weeknight, and his other daily appointments, Leno doesn't have much time to take care of his collection. He undoubtedly pays a special crew big bucks to do that for him.
Old 11-12-10, 10:24 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you look at Jay's website, http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/ you will soon see that he employs a fair-sized staff who maintain the cars, rebuild new acquisitions, and work on a number of projects around the garage. With all this, Jay is an amazingly knowledgeable expert on old cars and their maintenance - and he spends practically all of his off hours turning wrenches himself.

Not only does he work on them, he drives most of them regularly.
Old 11-13-10, 01:28 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The Sultan used to emply a full team of factory trained mechanics and the whole collection (5000+ I believe) was logged on computer to make sure servicing and maintenance was up to date. It was a great job to get - high salary, no taxes and staying in the palace. However, I understand that it was the Sultan's brother, Prince Jefri who was the true enthusiast but he was using government money to fund his lifestyle. The Sultan found out and after Prince Jefri escaped the country he sent the mechanics away and locked up the huge garages containing much of the collection, so while some of the collection will require some restoration, they are by no means at the level of a barn find and all that entails.
Old 11-13-10, 08:12 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This guy had 5000 plus cars?? How does someone afford all these cars sulltan or not, its not ilke its the british empire its brunei i cant even figure out if its a city, state, country, or neighborhood.

Wow lol
http://marquetteturner.com/the-sulta...7000-vehicles/

http://allride.skynetblogs.be/archiv...ve-empire.html

Last edited by D-Boi; 11-13-10 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-13-10, 09:28 AM
CallmeDoc
Driver

Wow.....Brand new F40 with delivery miles! That seems like a bargain at $1M NZ. It's sure to appreciate if kept in condition. However, I would drive the hell out of the F40!
Old 11-14-10, 01:59 AM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Wow the Nazca!! I remember driving it on the old need for speed hot pursuit playstation video game. Really that car should of been the new BMW M1. Also I spot some special one off Ferrari's.
Old 11-14-10, 02:49 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy crap.... this guy has unlimited money

Quick Reply: Part of the Sultan of Brunei's car collection is for sale