Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda CEO: smart premium for Acura, not the upper-segment like Lexus & Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-10, 07:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No one can go back and re-write history (though some try to), so we will never know if Lexus and Infiniti would ever have existed in America in the forms they do now, had Acura not paved the way, in 1986, for a premium/upmarket Japanese nameplate. Even after Lexus and Infiniti introduced their divisions into the American market in 1990, they continued, for some time, to sell more-or-less the same vehicles, under bread-and-butter Toyota/Nissan nameplates, in other countries.....and the home Japanese market. The big Infiniti Q45, for example, was sold abroad as the Nissan Cima, and the Lexus GS as the Toyota Aristo. Acura, of course, also did, to an extent....they even rebadged the Civic in some markets, which, for a premium-nameplate brand, ws ridiculous.
Lexus and Infiniti were planned in the early 1980s....when Acura debuted with their Honda plus Legend/Integra Toyota and Infiniti were hard at work with the LS and Q45 which debuted in 1989.

No matter if Acura was around or not, Infiniti or Lexus were coming.

Acura was first, no doubt.. We can't say they paved the way since Lexus and Infiniti didn't really follow them at all and I for one am GLAD Lexus didn't. Otherwise things here would suck

Old 11-09-10, 07:42 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Honda CEO: smart premium for Acura, not the upper-segment like Lexus & Mercedes-beating_a_dead_horse.jpg  
Old 11-09-10, 08:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep even the CEO of Acura likes to beat the dead horse.
Old 11-09-10, 09:45 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The current Honda high ranked executives like to talk more than take action.
Old 11-09-10, 09:49 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus and Infiniti were planned in the early 1980s....when Acura debuted with their Honda plus Legend/Integra Toyota and Infiniti were hard at work with the LS and Q45 which debuted in 1989.

No matter if Acura was around or not, Infiniti or Lexus were coming.

Acura was first, no doubt.. We can't say they paved the way since Lexus and Infiniti didn't really follow them at all and I for one am GLAD Lexus didn't. Otherwise things here would suck

Lexus = successful
Infiniti = giving effort to succeed
Acura = totally giving up and looking for all kinds of ridiculous excuses
Old 11-10-10, 07:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

any marketing droid that uses the self-praising word 'smart' in their marketing positioning, is stupid.
Old 11-10-10, 07:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Lexus = successful
Infiniti = giving effort to succeed
Acura = totally giving up and looking for all kinds of ridiculous excuses
that's a ridiculous summary... acura is definitely not giving up and infiniti can only dream to have acura's sales levels.

acura's going through a funky design phase and needs some new drive trains, but they're going to do fine.
Old 11-10-10, 11:12 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's a ridiculous summary... acura is definitely not giving up and infiniti can only dream to have acura's sales levels.

acura's going through a funky design phase and needs some new drive trains, but they're going to do fine.
They are obviously giving up to become a tier one luxury car maker, otherwise there wouldn't be a term "smart luxury". Also, sales don't tell everything. Acura has no rear drive platform, has no V8 engine, has no coupe, has no convertible, has no hybrid, has no clear advantage in any of its engines' output, has no dramatic advantage in fuel economy. What does Acura have anyway? As you said, a few funky looking vehicles with some over-complicated dashboard that looks and feels high tech. So they are pretty much rebadged Hondas charging luxury money. TSX is an exception though.
Old 11-10-10, 11:35 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

That's a bit inaccurate as Infiniti has outsold Acura on a couple of occasions. You also have to remember that most of Acura's sales are on the bottom end of the spectrum.

They are pretty much the Japanese Buick at this point, which is fine. But I think what TwiBlue35 was suggesting was that at least Infiniti is aspiring to have a full Tier 1 product line that directly competes against BMW, MB, etc, whereas Acura is not. They have "given up" their Tier 1 dreams apparently. Infiniti has all the goods to compete against the big boys, they just need a few more products in their lineup. Technologically, however, they are right there. Acura, is not. Not even close.
Old 11-10-10, 11:50 AM
LexFather

Infiniti has outsold Acura on a yearly basis? I would be surprised. It takes more than goods and product and aspirations to be Tier 1. I agree they are much better than Acura but they have a lot of work to do to even remotely be considered in that realm. Audi is now outselling Infiniti which was unheard of years ago and Audi has a true Tier 1 lineup.

That said I can appreciate Nissan giving it a much better try then what Honda has done here.

Last edited by LexFather; 11-10-10 at 11:59 AM.

Old 11-10-10, 12:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

FWIW, on numbers alone, the Acura Division is outselling the Infiniti Division YTD by about 30%. Acura 107,399/Infiniti 82,727. About the same spread for the month of October.
Old 11-10-10, 12:29 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's a real shame that a company that brought us such amazing cars like the NSX, S2000, Prelude, Legend, Integra, virtually collapsed back into a Motorcycle and Lawnmower company. I mean, these cars were at the top of the heap in the 80's/90s and now gone forever.
Old 11-10-10, 03:11 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Infiniti has outsold Acura on a yearly basis? I would be surprised.
Not on a yearly basis, but a few months here and there, they have. I just wouldn't exactly say that Infiniti "dreams" of Acura's sales numbers, when they have outsold them a few months here and there. It's not as if Acura routinely outsells Infiniti by twice the amount of sales or anything. Infiniti's products are all in the middle of the luxury market. They need more low-end and more high-end product to increase sales in my opinion. Perhaps the addition of the G25 will help. We'll see.

It takes more than goods and product and aspirations to be Tier 1. I agree they are much better than Acura but they have a lot of work to do to even remotely be considered in that realm. Audi is now outselling Infiniti which was unheard of years ago and Audi has a true Tier 1 lineup.
Well, in all honesty, they really should be outselling Infiniti given their diverse lineup of vehicles. But regardless, the sales numbers between both brands are about equal. I wouldn't say either brand is outselling the other right now.
Old 11-10-10, 04:14 PM
LexFather

The Leaf based EV, possible sub EX car (I think they trademarked CX) and the sub G25/37 coming should help but not sure when they debut. Acura though is bringing a sub TSX model (basically the RSX is back lol) and we know the CT comes out next year as a low volume model

Last edited by LexFather; 11-10-10 at 04:48 PM.

Old 11-10-10, 05:37 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Acura has the best resale value of the Japanese luxo brands

I want to the company to survive if for nothing other than a new NSX

Quick Reply: Honda CEO: smart premium for Acura, not the upper-segment like Lexus & Mercedes