Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

For Under $25,000.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 06:53 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^You think this is worth it:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

I just worry that the mileage on used cars could have been rolled back. Cause by looking at the CarFax, its a bit fishy that there are no records within the 65k+ miles the person had the car.
Old 11-07-10, 12:11 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
My LS400 is a V8. With a full tank, with normal driving, i get between 280-320 miles, with conservative driving i get around 320-340 miles. My bmw with conservative driving was would give me over 400 miles easily, most i got was 444 miles. But then again, I mostly drive in the freeway, and use cruise control as often as possible.

Does cruise control even improve your mpg? I have this mind set that it does, and it has worked for me, just want to see if you guys agree or not.
Most studies have shown cruise control will improve your gas mileage. It has for me. Using cruise control on the highway will make you drive a little different and you won't be breaking and accelerating as much as you would when not using it meaning your mileage will improve. Keep your tires a little overinflated, have the car properly tuned and oil/filter change up to date, clean throttle body/MAF, take any extra weight out, turn AC off when not needed to keep your mileage as high as possible.
Old 11-07-10, 12:36 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just worry that the mileage on used cars could have been rolled back. Cause by looking at the CarFax, its a bit fishy that there are no records within the 65k+ miles the person had the car.

carfax is a scam.

sometimes there really is no info on a car because nothing has happened to it during its lifetime.

on the other hand, sometimes there is no info because no one reports to carfax, even if there has been an accident.
police and body shops have no incentive to report to carfax.

carfax or not, get a regular mechanic to inspect the engine, and body shop mechanic to inspect the frame.

Last edited by dunnojack; 11-07-10 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-07-10, 02:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Most studies have shown cruise control will improve your gas mileage. It has for me. Using cruise control on the highway will make you drive a little different and you won't be breaking and accelerating as much as you would when not using it meaning your mileage will improve.
Depends on the driving/road conditions. On level or near-level roads, yes, cruise-control will (or can) help MPG by maintaining a more-or-less constant throttle-pressure. But, in more hilly terrain, it tends to vary the throttle pressure up and down more to maintain constant speed on hills (you can actually watch the fuel-flow/MPG rate, by the second, in some trip-computers)....and that can cost some MPG. The best way to get good MPG in hilly areas with shallow grades, is to turn off the cruise-control and just ease off on the gas a little going up the hill, not trying to keep a constant speed....and then let the car use less gas going downhill the other side, where gravity will help. In steep-grade hilly areas, of course, you're going to use a lot of gas (or electrical-reserve, in hybrids) going uphill, no matter what you do.....that's just physics.

Cruise-control should not be used on slippery road surfaces, and, unless you have the special type of cruise-control that maintains vehicle-following distances, in congested-traffic areas.

Keep your tires a little overinflated, have the car properly tuned and oil/filter change up to date, clean throttle body/MAF, take any extra weight out, turn AC off when not needed to keep your mileage as high as possible.
I agree with most of this. But, although overinflated tires can sharpen up dry-pavement handling and add a few MPG by lowering the tire's rolling-resistance, they also stiffen up the ride, increase the tendency of the car's structure to have squeaks/rattles, and, by eliminating the outer-tire contact-patch on the road, worsen wet-pavement handling and make hydroplaning on wet surfaces more likely. Auto-designers set recommended tire-PSI's for a reason.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-07-10 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-07-10, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

So, I know I shouldn't be looking around the car market, because I don't plan to buy a new for another year or so, but I can't help but look.

I plan to buy something nice for under $25,000. As you can tell by the sig, I've driven an IS before, and even though its real nice, its pretty small for someone of my stature (5'11, 220lbs, wide frame).

I love Luxury, and I love a car with plenty of space in it. I see a lot of 07-08 Infiniti G35's, a couple of 06 GS300s, and 2 07 Lexus GS350's.

I want a car to push 300hp at least (or at least something close to it, but would greatly prefer for it to be over 300hp). I don't like German (Had a bmw, it was nice, but it fell apart), and I'd prefer something that is Luxury and anything but German or American.

So far I just found these few models, but wonder what you guys would prefer? I'm driving an LS400 now, and I would love to get another LS, but I think I'd prefer getting something with a different body.

SUVs will be cool too, i guess, but prefer sedans.

Any suggestions?
Unless I'm missing something here (and, yes, I sometimes do), your criteria here seems to be a little confusing. You say you plan to buy new, but then mention an under-25K range. That, of course, obviously rules out new cars like the GS, G35, IS, etc... that you mention....they tend to start in the low-mid-30's, or more. Or are you referring to a used vehicle in that class? They, of course, are available for 25K or below.

You also mention 300 HP. I don't know of many new cars in the 25K range that come with 300 HP, but the 300-HP V6 Mustangs and Camaros might be worth a look.

Also, remember that, for most day-to-day driving, torque is a far more important figure than HP. Torque determines the general pulling-power of the engine, and how fast you can accelerate. HP comes more into play overcoming air-resistance at high speeds....and generally determines the vehicle's top-speed, which is useful only on very limited-roads like Germany's Autobahns.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-07-10 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-07-10, 08:11 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

^Not trying to sound like a douche here, but obviously mmarshall, a new car for me would be anything other than the car i'm driving now, regardless if its new or used. And I thought the under $25k, me wanting a GS would have been an indication of me wanting a used lexus.

Apologies if I confused you man.

Also, I want luxurious. Most likely only Lexus or Infiniti (Japanese Luxury is great). I want the year to be 2006 or above, and the mileage low, the hp at 300 or above, and a price below $25k.

But, I might consider buying an actual BRAND NEW CAR from a Lexus Dealership, instead of getting a USED car.
Old 11-07-10, 09:19 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

get the one you can afford. buying used you have to factor in price of maintenance. you may need a major service, or brakes, timing belt right off the bat. don't forget tires.

be wise in your decision. you don't want another car to be taken away.
Old 11-07-10, 09:23 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

^I know, if I get a brand new car, I plan to finance it for 5 years. That way the payments will be low, and the car is mine.
Old 11-07-10, 09:25 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you can find a 2003-2004 Infiniti M45 (they are rare), they have 340 HP V-8's in them. I bet they can be had for as low as 8-10k. I own one and its been great car for me personally. Love the torque, and its real sleeper. Styling is hit or miss, I personally love it, but I can see how some people may hate the looks.
Old 11-07-10, 09:36 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

I'm one of the some that doesn't like the looks, sorry :/