Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fedex truck damaged my bumper

Old 11-02-10, 02:47 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fedex truck damaged my bumper

Got back from work this morning and instead of leaving my car in the driveway i parked it on the street. While unlocking the doors to my house i see a fedex truck parking behind my car. I get inside the house and go on with my day. A little over an hour i come out to this

Any advise on what can i do?
Old 11-02-10, 02:49 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

what part in NY u live at? unless if u have some proof that it happen then ur out of luck. paint is white, sure but the fedex trucks have black bumpers.
Old 11-02-10, 02:50 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

that sucks.. calling your insurance is the first thing that comes to mind
Old 11-02-10, 02:57 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmm that looks like white / blueish paint right there
Old 11-02-10, 02:59 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
what part in NY u live at? unless if u have some proof that it happen then ur out of luck. paint is white, sure but the fedex trucks have black bumpers.
Im in Brooklyn and im pretty sure the truck i saw had a white bumper but i guess that's irrelevant now.
Old 11-02-10, 02:59 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

File a hit and run claim or live with the damage are pretty much your options. It could have been anyone who was on that street that did that. My experience with FedEx and UPS drivers is that they know what they're doing and I don't think it's too likely many of them would risk losing their jobs over a hit and run.
Old 11-02-10, 03:01 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you asked for help. This happed to someone's car here at work, someone I worked very closely with and became very close friends with. This happened maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

His car was parked outside our office building, and the FedEx guy backed up and scraped the side rear quarter panel of his car. There was white paint transfer onto his car and red paint transfer onto the FedEx truck. My friend was definitely unhappy.

Here's what we did.

First, we took pictures and documented all of the damage, along with where the car was positioned.

Second, we filed a claim with FedEx. There is some paperwork you'll need to fill out, along with your photos you'll want to include. Provide an approximate time, and see if you can identify who the driver was. Did the guy deliver to your house? Or a neighbor? Try to figure out what the tracking # was for the package, you can track down who the driver was based on that.

Third, chase FedEx and get them to respond to your claim. They will send investigators out, who will measure the height of the paint transfer, and the relative position of the car vs the truck. They will also likely look for paint transfer (black in your case) on the FedEx truck. Because it is paint, it won't wash off during their normal nightly truck washing process (good for you).

Fourth, wait for the investigators to conclude their research. FedEx carries insurance for this type of thing. Assuming all lines up, it is very likely they will find in your favor and cut you a check.

Good luck - keep good documentation and don't give up. If what you said is really what happened, you deserve fair compensation for the damage done.

Turby
Old 11-02-10, 03:02 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by link13
File a hit and run claim or live with the damage are pretty much your options. It could have been anyone who was on that street that did that. My experience with FedEx and UPS drivers is that they know what they're doing and I don't think it's too likely many of them would risk losing their jobs over a hit and run.
Pardon me, but... wrong. See my story above. This exact thing happened to my buddy at work.

He got paid out.

Turby
Old 11-02-10, 03:04 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

i work at fedex in long island so unless ur brooklyn hub has diff trucks then its most likely black.
Old 11-02-10, 03:08 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Thank you very much Turby. Thats exactly what im gonna do. They did deliver some packages to my neighbors so now i just have to convince them to give me the tracking number.

Last edited by xuserx04; 11-02-10 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-02-10, 03:17 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
i work at fedex in long island so unless ur brooklyn hub has diff trucks then its most likely black.
Good maybe you can help me track down the a-hole who was driving that truck if i get the tracking number?

The truck looked just like this one http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ck-Chicago.jpg
Old 11-02-10, 03:21 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

if it was the hub in long island then i could help you. but not in brooklyn.
Old 11-02-10, 03:26 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbinator
Pardon me, but... wrong. See my story above. This exact thing happened to my buddy at work.

He got paid out.

Turby
I hope that works for the OP too. I am pretty used to companies saying "eff you, we didn't do it." Maybe FedEx is better than that.
Old 11-02-10, 03:37 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xuserx04
Thank you very much Turby. Thats exactly what im gonna do. They did deliver some packages to my neighbors so now i just have to convince them to give me the tracking number.
You're welcome - I wish you luck - don't give up. The driver may (or will) deny he did it. No problem, because you have CSI type evidence right there that something happened. I'm sure if someone went and analyzed the paint, they'll find it's the same chemical composition as the paint on FedEx trucks (again, assuming that the truck really did hit you, which I certainly wouldn't doubt given my bud's experience).

All you have to do is be persistent, file your claim, and don't let up. Again, they have insurance to cover this kind of stuff - and with millions of packages processed each year, I am sure this type of stuff happens (unfortunately) all the time.

Originally Posted by link13
I hope that works for the OP too. I am pretty used to companies saying "eff you, we didn't do it." Maybe FedEx is better than that.
Yeah. FedEx was ok once we got the claims guys out to investigate. We stuck to the facts and just presented our case. I spoke to them as well, given that my friend was a little bit agitated at the whole thing (who wouldn't be?). I helped him with the pics, and creating the strategy for our legit claim filing. It worked out in the end but did take a few months to settle it.

Turby
Old 11-03-10, 06:16 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

yep fedex trucks have black front bumpers, and a black step mesh bumper in the back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fedex truck damaged my bumper