Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Infiniti G25X AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-10, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The major automotive magazines will give a lot of coverage to the new Explorer. I'm anxious to read what they have to say. My guess (just a guess) is that Ford will do it right. They have that iconic name going for them.
With the major design switch on the new Explorer from truck body-on-frame to a car-based unibody, it will be interesting to see what the new payload and tow ratings will be. I'm also expecting a somewhat better ride/handling/steering combination than on the former models.

I agree that it is a somewhat iconic nameplate, but this is not the 1990's any longer, where the Explorer and Grand Cherokee basically owned the American SUV market. Literally dozens of SUVs, of all sizes, have come (and gone) since then, and both the Explorer and Grand Cherokee both have real competition now. Chrysler, of course, now takes this seriously.....as we saw with several notable improvements on the new 2011 Grand Cherokee, particularly on the drivetrain and interior.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-30-10 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-30-10, 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
thanks for the excellent review
Sure...anytime. Glad you enjoyed it More coming...when the vehicles are available.

I had the chance to drive a 2010 G37 sedan loaner for 2 days when my FX was in for maintenance. It was non-sports and I felt the suspension was still rather stiff. I wonder if the G25's non-sport is as stiff. If that's the case then it might be alittle harsh for the general public.
Stiff, of course, is an objective term. What a guy used to sports or racing cars (or even a Mitsubishi Evo or Lexus IS-F sedan) considers stiff will probably be quite different from a 65-70 year old guy in his Cadillac DTS or Buick Lucerne. However, by the standards of most of the cars I've driven and/or reviewed, the G25's standard, non-sport suspension can be considered stiff, with firm (and audible) jolts from the tires and suspension over bumps. As I mentioned in the review, this is especially strange with the relatively compliant 55-series tires, so it is apparantly in the suspension itself, not the tires. I can only imagine what the Sport version is like...I didn't try one.
Old 10-30-10, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
That's like saying the 3 Series is a little harsh for the general public. And well, clearly it's not because sales numbers don't lie.

The 3-series, except for the notably-stiff M3, has what, IMO, are some of the best suspension-engineering and ride/handling combinations on the market. Even the somewhat performance-oriented 335i with the Sport Package and ultra-low-profile 35-series tires was amazingly civil (for a Sport-Package) over bumps and rough patches, yet still retaining the sharp handling, steering response, and telepathic-feel that Bimmers are known for. It is not surprising that BMW 3 and 5-series often have won comparison tests in car-enthusiast magazines.

Too bad, though, that the company, IMO, can't get the electronics, fuel-pumps, paint jobs, stereo controls, I-Drive, or the electro-shifters right.
Old 10-30-10, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
>>and a new 7-speed Sport-Shift automatic with rev-matching for smoother manual downshifts.<<

So u have to slap the stick?
Yes, on the non-sport models, you have to use the lever for auto-manual shifts. There are no paddle-shifters, unless you get the AWD Sport package. Fortunately, the lever, IMO, is slick and well-designed, with a nice fore/aft P-R-N-D sequence instead of those annoying zig-zags. You bring it all the way back (as with most vehicles), then slide it to the left into the +/- manual-gate and bump it up or down. Most autoshifters, of course, are like that, except in Mazda and BMWs (where the -/+ is backwards) and in the Chrysler (and older Mercedes) autosticks, where, for manual-shifts, you flick the lever side-to-side instead of fore-aft.
Old 10-30-10, 06:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Saw two of these today....I wonder how well they are selling in other areas.
Were they AWD models? (if so, they will have an X by the G25 or G37 badge). I notice that you, like Mike (1SICKLEX) are in Atlanta, where the climate is relatively mild, so I don't expect the G25X to do as well there as in places farther north.
Old 10-30-10, 07:34 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both were regular "25" RWD models, but I was surprised to see two of them so soon. I am excited to take a look at the Oct sales numbers to see if this car made any ripples.
Old 10-31-10, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Both were regular "25" RWD models, but I was surprised to see two of them so soon. I am excited to take a look at the Oct sales numbers to see if this car made any ripples.

Yes, if you get a hold of any of the numbers, go ahead and post them for us.
Old 10-31-10, 09:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2.5 versions potentially could cause significant sales increases, much more so than the addition of any AWD version. It's obvious that IS250, 328's and C300s greatly outsell the bigger engined and more expensive versions (IS350, 335, C350) by a ratio of 4 to 1 plus.

Agreed, it will be interesting to see the October Infiniti Gxx sales as reported monthly in Car Chat (since the different engines/models will not be identified) to see if they increased in total over last month and versus October of last year.
Old 11-01-10, 09:10 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with you, though, that the G25X's sales are not as likely to be as high as the IS250AWD's, for two reasons. First, it is not as solidly established in the marketplace like the IS. Second, its almost sports-car-stiff ride, even with the standard non-sport suspension, is likely to turn some potential non-sport-oriented buyers away.
don't G's already outsell IS? i know i see a lot more G37's than IS combined here in nyc metro
if anything, an extra engine choice and even lower price point and will only increase that margin.
Old 11-01-10, 09:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
That's like saying the 3 Series is a little harsh for the general public. And well, clearly it's not because sales numbers don't lie.
Not really, GlobeCLK has a point. GM and Ford sell harsh riding Camaro/Mustang's at 6-10k a month. Some people can overlook the harsher ride and less refinement for a lower price/payment. Sales figures don't tell the entire story.

Originally Posted by shyguy16
don't G's already outsell IS? i know i see a lot more G37's than IS combined here in nyc metro
if anything, an extra engine choice and even lower price point and will only increase that margin.
Depends on the year vs year figures. The G37 is their volume car, the ES is Lexus volume car. You can't get the incentives or lease rates Infiniti offers with the IS.

I don't expect a huge sales surge. What I see if Infiniti cannibalizing their own sales as people go for an even cheaper G25 over the 37 since most could care less about HP.

The G37 was a great value car. The G25 oddly seems less of the value here. I think most here would just pay the extra $20 a month and get the G37.

Old 11-09-10, 08:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shyguy16
I was refering specifically to the G25X AWD and IS250 AWD. In my area, the IS250 AWD is very popular, seemingly outselling the RWD model.
Old 11-10-10, 07:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Nationally thru October sales of all versions of the IS = 27,790 and sales of the G37 Sedan = 33,201 (plus 13,831 coupes) There are no doubt some regional differences but sales are close overall.
Old 11-10-10, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not really, GlobeCLK has a point. GM and Ford sell harsh riding Camaro/Mustang's at 6-10k a month. Some people can overlook the harsher ride and less refinement for a lower price/payment. Sales figures don't tell the entire story.
With ponycars, a lower price, of course, doesn't hurt, but most ponycar-buyers seem more addicted to the styling than to the refinement level. The (stock) ponycar rides are not necessarily harsh.......neither the Camaro SS or Mustang GT that I recently reviewed rode as harsh, IMO, as even the non-Sport-package Infiniti G25X.

The G37 was a great value car. The G25 oddly seems less of the value here. I think most here would just pay the extra $20 a month and get the G37.
My guess is that unless they really want to save money, G AWD buyers would spring for the G37X......its extra HP/torque, with the AWD hardware, will come in handy. The G25X, though not a complete slug, was not impressive in the acceleration department......as is also the case with the competing IS250AWD.