Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What would you consider a 'Luxury Styled' car?

Old 10-28-10, 10:52 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What would you consider a 'Luxury Styled' car?

I've been wondering this.. We got DUB styled, VIP, VIP Inspired, Sport, etc..

So what would make a car 'Luxury Styled'? Would it just be a stock GS (Example)? If someone were going to just go for a luxury style, what would they have to change/do to their car to reach that title? Or would this fall into the VIP/VIP Inspired category?

Anyone got any input on something like this?

Never seen it before, so kind of wondering.
Old 10-28-10, 11:00 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Sounds like a term somebody made up to me... You either have a Luxury car or you don't. Some vehicles are called "near luxury" when they have some of the amenities you expect from a luxury car.

Moving this to car chat since it has nothing to do with the 2GS specifically.
Old 10-28-10, 11:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

yeah, i think it's just random term people came up... you either have a luxury car or you don't. unless you get a camry xle and then put on some touches and say you have a luxury styled car?
Old 10-28-10, 11:10 AM
LexFather

I would say luxury "styled" are non luxury, mainstream cars that copy luxury looks and some features but are not luxury. For example;
Altima/last gen Maxima were Lexus GS luxury styled
VW CC and Hyunda Sonata are Benz CLS luxury styled
Accord has some BMW luxury style wiht the c-pillar and crease int he side
First gen Altima looked like an Infiniti J30
Some old Toyota Camry's were two-tone like the LExus ES

etc etc

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Just this morning I saw a black last gen Altima with yellow fogs and I had to do a double take as I thought it was a GS with it's yellow fogs for a sec. That is "luxury styled" in that case.

Fake wood aka woodgrain in on luxury cars is another "luxury style" feature.

Old 10-28-10, 11:11 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Interesting. if by luxury styled you mean wanting to turn a stock ride into a luxury/VIP sort of ride, i've seen plenty of 1GS and 2GS as well as a few infiniti m45's and even a few chrysler 300c. but ive never heard it called "luxury styled".
Old 10-28-10, 11:14 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Luxury styled?

Please read my signature quote.

Most mods on the road are too vulgar to be luxurious...
Old 10-28-10, 11:17 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Interesting. if by luxury styled you mean wanting to turn a stock ride into a luxury/VIP sort of ride, i've seen plenty of 1GS and 2GS as well as a few infiniti m45's and even a few chrysler 300c. but ive never heard it called "luxury styled".
300C is luxury styled, to look like a Bentley.

Old 10-28-10, 11:24 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two cars, to me, have always exuded complete class and represented the epitome of luxury in any generation: The LS and S Class. I'd also rank the XJ up there but don't really care for the new generation and find it rather gimmicky looking.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 10-28-10 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-28-10, 11:27 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Well it popped up with one of my friends.. We were talking about cars and he knows I own a 2GS and I was telling him that I love it mainly because it's a luxury car. It's just beautiful plain and simple and he states that he'd love to try and make his car (Altima) look as luxurious as possible.. Just nicer than what it is stock I guess and he was asking me what I thought would help it up into the category of being 'Luxurious' and I was kind of just like..

Didn't really know how to answer to that, so was j/w if anyone else had any info on trying to reach this 'style' I guess you can say..

And seems like 1SICKLEX summed it up for me
Old 10-28-10, 11:29 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Two cars, to me, have always exuded complete class and represented the epitome of luxury in any generation: The LS and S Class. I'd also rank the XJ up there but don't really care for the new generation and find it rather gimmicky looking.

I love the LS. I said that once my 2GS is dead and gone and ran to the ground i'd get a LS.. That is the ONLY Lexus that I really like in the 3Gen out of all of them..
Old 10-28-10, 12:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I would say luxury "styled" are non luxury, mainstream cars that copy luxury looks and some features but are not luxury. For example;
Altima/last gen Maxima were Lexus GS luxury styled

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Just this morning I saw a black last gen Altima with yellow fogs and I had to do a double take as I thought it was a GS with it's yellow fogs for a sec. That is "luxury styled" in that case.
How can the Altima(3rd Gen) and last(6th gen) Maxima be Lexus GS styled when the 3rd Gen Lexus GS that looks so similar came AFTER those cars came out? There is no way Nissan could have copied the GS when the 3rd Generation Lexus GS was not even out when those cars came out, if anything Lexus took ques from the Altima/Maxima in the GS styling because those cars came out well before the 3rd Gen GS.

-The last or 6th generation Maxima is a 2004-2008 model.
-The 3rd Gen Altima is a 2002-2006 model
-The 3rd Gen GS is a 2006-present model

The Altima was out around 4 years before the GS, the Maxima was out 2 years before the current GS.
Old 10-28-10, 12:11 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
How can the Altima(3rd Gen) and last(6th gen) Maxima be Lexus GS styled when the 3rd Gen Lexus GS that looks so similar came AFTER those cars came out? There is no way Nissan could have copied the GS when the 3rd Generation Lexus GS was not even out when those cars came out, if anything Lexus took ques from the Altima/Maxima in the GS styling because those cars came out well before the 3rd Gen GS.

-The last or 6th generation Maxima is a 2004-2008 model.
-The 3rd Gen Altima is a 2002-2006 model
-The 3rd Gen GS is a 2006-present model

The Altima was out around 4 years before the GS, the Maxima was out 2 years before the current GS.
I believe he was refering to the 2nd gen(98-05) GS series. If your squared off all the curves on that GS, WAH LA!! you would have the Altima and Maxima.
Old 10-28-10, 12:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Never heard the term "luxury styled", but I see what's meant by it. Agreed, LS and S-class are excellent examples of top tier lux cars exhibiting "luxury style".

The leading luxury cars to share many styling traits or styling cliches including logos, upright trademark grills, liberal use of bright trim/chrome in certain areas, rich finishes, etc. Many more affordable cars copy some of these styling cliches.
Old 10-28-10, 12:43 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The KIA XG300 and current Hyundai Sonata are more excellent examples of "luxury styled" cars. They both exude al the things IS-SV just pointed out except for maybe the rich finish but are considered family cars.
Old 10-28-10, 12:51 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Mazda 6 is luxury styled IMO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would you consider a 'Luxury Styled' car?