Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saw a 2011 VW Phaeton convoy on the road today...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 09:14 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saw a 2011 VW Phaeton convoy on the road today...

As some of you Tampa folks might now, there is a VW-Audi Group testing facility around Tampa which gives us the opportunity to see the new models every so often. In my 23 years here, I have encountered numerous pre-release models including the Lamborghini Gallardo, Murcielago, the VW Touareg V10 TDI that never came to the US, more than a handful of Audi's, including camoed A3's and an A5 test mule for updated electronics. As of right now, I'm living down the street from a test driver for VAG which is where I see most of the pre-relase models. I've talked the guy a few times and he's rather nice and is always willing to talk about what's different about the cars he drives.

Today, on my way home, I saw the undeniable identifier of the LED DRL's coming at me in the opposite direction. Sure enough, the first car was a white 2011 Phaeton. Followed by another. And another. And another. As if that wasn't enough, the convoy was bookended by a shiny Bentley Mulsane which was followed by an A8. They were following each other pretty close and were moving at a considerable speed. The road that I drive home on is pretty straight and rather secluded, and I've been told that it's a hot bed for testing by VAG. I wish I would have had time to take out a camera and snap pics of this convoy, but since we were heading in the opposite direction, the opportunity was non-existant. I don't know if my neighbor was involved in any of this, but the next time I see him I'll ask him.

Old 10-28-10, 03:40 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's pretty neat! Although I wonder if the Phaeton will be any more successful the second time around, it's still pretty interesting.
Old 10-28-10, 04:19 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

With all the non-luxury car brands(Hyundai, Volkswagen) that jumped into the luxury car game, it wont be long before we see Kia's version of the Genisis and Equus, a ultra-Avalon from Toyota, and maybe even a Mazda super 929-type of vehicle. On another note, isn't the A8 enough of a vehicle to ride that platform alone or somewhat with the Bentley? Why go down market or side-ways with the Pheaton? Although its a capable car, i think its kinda redundant to have both cars that are arguably the same share space in the same market from two companies that share ownership(Buick Lucerne and Caddilac DTS comes to mind).