Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Exotic cars and aftermarket rims?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-10, 12:11 AM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exotic cars and aftermarket rims?

Seems like every time I see an exotic or very high end car, I rarely see them have aftermarket rims. Maybe I missed something or haven't been looking enough, that or I pay attention to the car more than the rims. They don't go for the stagger or flush look either. Nor do they have conversion or body kits/lip kits. Can anyone explain this to me? I kind of have an idea as to why but wanted to know other people inputs.

Thanks

Last edited by soulsoarer; 10-25-10 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Exotic cars
Old 10-25-10, 12:19 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

just like the rest of the community, i love to see a nice supped up car. However, i think when your that wealthy to be able to afford "supercars" you would buy a car not only for its performance, but because it looks classy, and classy cars are completely stock cars that have been very very well taken care of (waxed once a month) IMO.
Old 10-25-10, 12:28 AM
LexFather

Cool

Originally Posted by soulsoarer
Seems like every time I see an exotic or very high end car, I rarely see them have aftermarket rims. Maybe I missed something or haven't been looking enough, that or I pay attention to the car more than the rims. They don't go for the stagger or flush look either. Nor do they have conversion or body kits/lip kits. Can anyone explain this to me? I kind of have an idea as to why but wanted to know other people inputs.

Thanks
To most exotic owners the car should be kept how it was from the factory. Most are purists to that extent where they don't feel an exotic needs any modifications. Ferrari owners in particular are real hesitant to modify their cars, many feel "that is how Enzo wants it" and there is no way to top what Ferrari has done to the car.

In recent years we have been blessed with MORE exotic cars and many many MORE wheel options for exotics. So for those that want to be different they now have a lot of choices compared to ten years ago when it was much much harder to add wheels to your exotic.

A lot of exotic car owners are also not car guys. They have the finances, passion or goal to own an exotic and really have no intention to touch it in any way.

That being said I've seen TONS of exotics with modifications and aftermarket wheels in particular with respect to your thread. I guess it can depend on where you are.

Old 10-25-10, 07:49 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsoarer
Can anyone explain this to me?
People who modify tend to have the desire to "stand out." They get the car they can afford and make it their own.

For a richer clientele, they don't need to modify an exotic to "stand out." When you roll in an Aston or Ferrari, you got the job done already.

Most people who modify exotics are either people who own businesses in the car modification world, or rich guys who hang out with rich guys that need to modify their cars to stand out even more. It purely aesthetic. Otherwise, a small percentage of aftermarket mods are actually meant to enhance performance capacity (like dropping weight or making a car more aerodynamic).
Old 10-25-10, 10:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point on ^^ on the trend in mods mainly geared towards aesthetics, not increasing performance. This trend has been taking place for years with both exotics and non-exotics. The performance capabilities of most desirable cars are so high, the need to increase performance is not needed.

IMO, I enjoy the trend in CA, some of these exotics are especially sweet with careful selection of wheels.

Last edited by IS-SV; 10-25-10 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-25-10, 11:27 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

exotics = older buyers
older buyers dont modify as much
Old 10-25-10, 11:34 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, no need to modify an exotic. They are already modified.

They come with wheels more expensive than just about anything you could buy aftermarket.

Also, one of the main reasons in buying aftermarkets, is to up-size. Exotics already have as big a wheel as they should have.
Old 10-25-10, 11:41 AM
svagusta
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, it is very hard to do better than factory Lamborghini or Ferrari wheels. Not that it can't be done but they always flow with the rest of the car and have very respectable fitment. Don't get me wrong, Gallardo rims leave a lot to be desired...

but I would find it very hard to say that they look out of place on that car.
And the same cannot be said for most aftermarket wheels.

With "cheaper" cars, there is a lot of room for improvement, but when companies bring in top designers and invest millions of dollars on analyzing every square inch of a $100k+ car, it's easier to screw it up than it is to improve it...just my opinion
Old 10-25-10, 11:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ppl modifying cars (make it civic of 599) always make up to small % of the whole crowd anyway
Old 10-25-10, 12:08 PM
daelo74
Driver

People that buy exotics and don't mod it somewhat are posers! they buy it to be garage queens and rarely drive it. True, people that mod it want attention, but they like to drive it and use it.
Old 10-25-10, 12:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by daelo74
People that buy exotics and don't mod it somewhat are posers! they buy it to be garage queens and rarely drive it. True, people that mod it want attention, but they like to drive it and use it.
huh?! can't agree with this at all. i know more than a few exotic owners, they have multiple exotics and they drive them all the time, even to work. but their exotics are always stock. they believe in the purity of original setup, which i respect, and they don't care as much about modified.

on the other hand, i also know people with modify their exotics and love to show but hardly drive, coz' they don't want any tiny scratches
Old 10-25-10, 12:42 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I actually think most aftermarket wheels look terrible on normal cars. I also think exotics look much better than normal cars. Hence even more than most aftermarket wheels look even more terrible on exotics.

Originally Posted by daelo74
FWIW, I have no intention of modding my LFA. In fact part of me dies every time I read about someone thinking about slapping FI on one.