Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: WHich one?
Last gen M5
52.24%
Last gen E55
10.45%
Last gen E63
22.39%
S6 (still current gen)
14.93%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Which used super sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 06:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
That'd be around the 165 mark if you drove the M5
i can tell you most people i know get around 200
Old 10-21-10, 06:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
wait, what? I thought you sold your GS
good call on keeping it
this will allow you to get a headache monster then
well, thanks for doing some of the footwork

the lists that phantom posted aren't that bad at all-considering it could be worse
we were THIS close.... but decided against it for some other reasons. now just hope we don't need to put the freaking stroller in the car too often for the first year until we get a suv...
Old 10-21-10, 07:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
None of the above.

My business partner had an E60, blue with cream interior, that was a total beast. That being said, I'd rather save the extra pennies for the new F10. If all the hype and speculation is true, it is going to be a segment game changer.
I just don't see it really being that much faster than the CTS-V and the price/gain ratio will be something else. Likely 100k easy for it. Also the Panamara Turbo really reset the bar for big sedan acceleration. I am sure the M5 will kick *** but this isn't 2000 anymore. The competition is pretty thick.

I wonder is a Porsche GTS or Turbo S is coming?

Old 10-21-10, 08:04 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
we were THIS close.... but decided against it for some other reasons. now just hope we don't need to put the freaking stroller in the car too often for the first year until we get a suv...
You should be OK unless your family is visiting
Old 10-21-10, 08:09 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I just don't see it really being that much faster than the CTS-V and the price/gain ratio will be something else. Likely 100k easy for it. Also the Panamara Turbo really reset the bar for big sedan acceleration. I am sure the M5 will kick *** but this isn't 2000 anymore. The competition is pretty thick.

The rumour on 6speed is that the GTS is coming.

I have complete respect for the V, I almost bought one, but the F10 M5 and Pan are on a different level as far as luxury combined with performance. This is almost a "bang for the buck" conversation....like say a Mustang 5.0 vs...

I really liked the V and would likely have chosen it over my F if they had been available at the same time, but even the E60 M5 carries more "class/prestige/luxury" than the V. The Pan is on a whole different level.

You saw how strongly I feel about the S class and I feel the Pan is even better inside, though I have yet to drive one.

I'm still 12-18 months out from an F replacement, but what has been decided is ED.

What hasn't been decided is F10 or Pan.

P.S. I'll update my pics on the Pan thread....again.
Old 10-21-10, 08:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pcoaew
Are you budgeting for major costs in maintainance and repair?
I think most know what they are getting into

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
The rumour on 6speed is that the GTS is coming.

I have complete respect for the V, I almost bought one, but the F10 M5 and Pan are on a different level as far as luxury combined with performance. This is almost a "bang for the buck" conversation....like say a Mustang 5.0 vs...

I really liked the V and would likely have chosen it over my F if they had been available at the same time, but even the E60 M5 carries more "class/prestige/luxury" than the V. The Pan is on a whole different level.

You saw how strongly I feel about the S class and I feel the Pan is even better inside, though I have yet to drive one.

I'm still 12-18 months out from an F replacement, but what has been decided is ED.

What hasn't been decided is F10 or Pan.

P.S. I'll update my pics on the Pan thread....again.
Great post dude. Oh snap GTS Pan...yes V-6 in Europe has a 6 speed but the V-6 hasn't gotten great reviews as power is ample but not close to overpowering for the price.

Old 10-21-10, 11:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

well i would say keep in mind acceleration is never strong point for the m5. on the track is where m cars smile and pull. cts-v is nice, but just like CDNROCKIES, it's cool but it's not a car i would consider for the class/prestige. price tag is one thing, no doubt about that, but do you really want me to bring out gtr and lfa again? i know, it's somewhat different, but that's about how i look at it

now the panamera is another story, that turbo is something else, and also quite a bit more expensive as well. but i am sure that car can fly through the track

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
You should be OK unless your family is visiting
lol, family arriving in 2 weeks
Old 10-22-10, 05:08 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been seriously considering between the M5 2006 (or newer), E55, or E63. I have shopped prices, looked at my current cash position, and I narrowed it down between the M5 or the E63. Both are somewhat comparable in price for the same age (2006 / 2007 vintage). I'm seeing prices around $45K or thereabouts. I don't know when I'll take the plunge exactly, but right now, those are my top two contenders. My next step is to get behind the wheel of each and find out which one I like better.

MPG is semi important to me, but frankly, I've never personally been stopped from driving with all the gas price surges. Even when it was close to $4 a gallon for *regular* - I still drove to work, visit friends, shopping, etc. So, I might have to fill up more often, but the cost of the fillups is not an issue for me.

Maintenance is something I worry about, so I'll have to start researching that in more detail for each car.

Turby
Old 10-22-10, 05:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

turby, if you are considering between 06 m5 and 07 e63 (e63 starts 07 i believe), i think their prices are about the same. 07 m5 will be a bit more. both are good cars. definitely drive both, they are very different. m5 doesn't sound as "nice" in general unless you rev it high, e63 sounds very deep and mean across the band. m5 is a lot more nimble and connected, the e63 is a bit more comfortable. quite different.

gas, honestly, if you get any cars in this segment, you should be prepared to pay.

i can give you some tips. in terms of maintaining the cars (both out of warranty or close to i suppose). they are relatively similar, but from what i read, e63 cost a bit more. if you get e63, try to find ones that have the chrysler golden or titanium warranty, they are not offered anymore and trust me you will be glad you have them.

overall i hear few more problems (electronic or so) on the e55/63 (combined, didn't look at individual) than the m5. but if you get m5, i would try to get extended warranty as well from good companies. i forgot the company name but you can research a bit
Old 10-23-10, 01:42 AM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a E60 M5 owner, bought 06 model since 2008. The only problem i had was SMG sensor went back, but it happened during the warranty period and of course the dealer replaced it for free. The engine and tranny are strong, suspension chasis are very solid as well. i would highly recommend the M5.
Old 10-23-10, 05:40 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said S6, because it is a great car and you don't see too many. Realistically, I would opt for the M5 in order to row my own.
Old 10-23-10, 05:57 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Right now?

CLS63
Old 10-23-10, 11:58 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle3481
I am a E60 M5 owner, bought 06 model since 2008. The only problem i had was SMG sensor went back, but it happened during the warranty period and of course the dealer replaced it for free. The engine and tranny are strong, suspension chasis are very solid as well. i would highly recommend the M5.
thanks for the feedback. sounds promising
Old 10-24-10, 10:29 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by J.P.
Right now?

CLS63
Was wondering why this wasn't a choice. I'd go with one of these beasts as well.
Old 10-24-10, 11:56 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely E60 M5. It just makes me drool.

Quick Reply: Which used super sedan?