Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Second Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-10, 01:49 PM
LexFather

Wow, never even thought of the MS6. Very good point. I've seen that car run in the high 13s at the drag strip!!

Is it weight hurting the Sonata? Seems the Kia Optima with the same engine is also not very quick considering "class leading hp".

Old 10-16-10, 02:01 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, never even thought of the MS6. Very good point. I've seen that car run in the high 13s at the drag strip!!

Is it weight hurting the Sonata? Seems the Kia Optima with the same engine is also not very quick considering "class leading hp".
C&D managed 14 seconds flat in the 1/4 mile with the MS6, so high 13s are definitely possible.

It's not the weight because both the MS6 and Camry V6 weigh more. It's poor powerbands for the engine. More hype than substance really with this engine. Inflated HP and torque numbers, but performance does not match the engine specs. I wouldn't be surprised if the car fails to achieve EPA economy numbers as well. We've already seen reports the regular Sonata rarely achieves the EPA numbers in real-world driving.
Old 10-16-10, 02:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A nice addition as a version of this product/model, it can only add incremental sales to this already strong-selling car. Like most 4 cylinder engines, I agree the powerband is not as broad and even as the better sixes, which impacts both driveability and acceleration in normal driving.
Old 10-17-10, 12:13 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Original design? The lines are straight out of the blueprints of the mercedes CLS 4 door coupe
Old 10-18-10, 08:00 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

For me personally:
YF Sonata (esp. Turbo version)>>> over any Camry (except the TRD Aurion)

My term for it: It's a "korean" mazda 6

I wouldn't get a Camry (esp. our Asian Camry) because I'm not an old person :P. Something more sporty (like a Mazda 6 or YF Sonata would be better for me IMHO)

Old 10-18-10, 08:15 AM
LexFather

0-60 in under 6 seconds and some nice mods doesn't seem old to me I can see what you are saying though, the Camry does have an image of an "old persons car" but Hyundai still has image problems as well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...some-pics.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ed-wheels.html

Old 10-19-10, 08:15 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

@1SICK
I see your point. For me, it doesn't matter much about performance or who's faster or better in this segment (as long as 0-100 km/h is under ten seconds).

Though personally for me, I only concern myself with stock look and feel. As much I appreciate mods and aftermarket (and I have no problem if others are fond of this type of accessories and activity), well it's just not my cup of tea I guess (to do it to my own car)

So yeah, I only concern myself with stock look.

I guess what I'm saying is: Camry is a good car (at the very least). At bare minimum, it can bring to you to point A and B in comfort and it is a strong seller (even here in the Philippines cornering more than 40% in this vehicle segment locally). As such, I've no problems riding in one.

However, with regards to owning or buying a Camry, I'll never do that I'm afraid.........at least not until I'm over 40 years old or into retirement. I say that because it doesn't suit my age and my current lifestyle relative to what the car looks and is about............especially with the one we have right here

So yeah for me, when I would want to buy a car in this segment (and one that I would actually own), it would have to be something that is sporty and more performance-oriented (in terms of design at least).

So yeah: It's either Mazda 6 or Hyundai Sonata YF (for me)

Two cents
Old 10-19-10, 08:22 AM
LexFather

^^^ I certainly respect it and understand where you are coming from.

Old 10-19-10, 08:29 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

^
So true. I had two camrys before and they were the most boring cars I've had. Of course they were indestructible.

Usually people don't buy camrys to fix them up. Car buyers in this segment want a good daily driving car and sonata is a good car for this purpose. I bet most shoppers won't care too much about 0-60 times. What really matters is that it uses regular gas, has high output engine, spaciou, comfortable, good warranty and list goes on...
Now imagine putting in about $2000 in upgrades, it'll easily do 300+ whp.
Motortrend got faster 0-60 at 6.5sec btw. Not bad really.

Last edited by KA8; 10-19-10 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-19-10, 09:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
^
So true. I had two camrys before and they were the most boring cars I've had.
I guess you never drove a Mercury Grand Marquis, then.

Compared to the typical Grand Marquis, a Camry (particularly the Camry SE) feels like a sports-sedan.
Old 10-19-10, 09:56 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I guess you never drove a Mercury Grand Marquis, then.

Compared to the typical Grand Marquis, a Camry (particularly the Camry SE) feels like a sports-sedan.
I get bored just looking at it lol. Actually newer camrys were not bad at all especially the SE models. Co-worker's buick was no fun either, makes me feel I overdosed on nyquil when I'm in it.
Old 10-24-10, 09:34 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Original design? The lines are straight out of the blueprints of the mercedes CLS 4 door coupe
No, that would be the VW CC (aka "carbon copy").

The Sonata's greenhouse/C-pillar is more like that of the Audi A6, Jaguar XJ and even the Chevy Cruze.