Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2011 Lexus IS350AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by metalgear
Great review!
Thanks.

Now I gotta test drive one .
If you are used to the IS250AWD's sluggishness, you will find the 350AWD a pleasant surprise. It's not quite as strong as the regular RWD 350, though, because of the added weight/drag of the AWD hardware, but it will get out of its own way.

I think you will also notice the nice interior....especially in the two-tones. They seem to have refined the inteior fit/finish a little in the last couple of years.
Old 10-06-10, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
in Jan 07 I bought an 06 IS350 with an MSRP of $44K for $38K, so they will discount them.
Whether they will discount the AWD 350 as easily as the RWD model remains to be seen. I did not make a serious offer on either of the two I looked at yesterday...that wasn't my purpose.
Old 10-06-10, 03:44 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Another great review, thank you! I have owned a 2006 IS250AWD and now a 2008 IS350 with sport pkg. I agree that the extra power with the 350 is hugely appreciated. I really like the sports suspension being firmer and I believe the 2008 got re-calibrated steering(with more weight & feel).

One thing I will struggle to decide on is what model to get next time around. Currently living in WI I needed Blizzaks for the winter months and use the summers the rest of the year. If I snag a 350AWD next time around, it probably comes with all seasons.....did you happen to notice? What do you all think? Cost wise, the AWD adds upfront costs, maybe better resale here, but the RWD model needs about $1200 in tires/wheels for winter......hmmm.
Old 10-06-10, 04:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Another great review, thank you!
Sure...anytime.

[/QUOTE] I have owned a 2006 IS250AWD and now a 2008 IS350 with sport pkg. I agree that the extra power with the 350 is hugely appreciated. I really like the sports suspension being firmer and I believe the 2008 got re-calibrated steering(with more weight & feel).[/QUOTE]

The steering is not quite BMW 3-series in tactile feel, but, as you note, I don't think you wll be disappointed. Don't expect the 350AWD model to have quite as crisp an initial steering response, though, as the RWD 350....to my senses, the AWD has slightly less initial response (in other words, understeer), because of the extra hardware ansd spinning driveshafts on the front wheels. But, once you do get into a corner, the extra AWD traction really helps you to hang onto it. I didn't do any sliding/drifting, of course, on dry pavement with a brand-new car, but, with AWD, it's usually harder to get the rear end to swing around with drop-throttle.

One thing I will struggle to decide on is what model to get next time around. Currently living in WI I needed Blizzaks for the winter months and use the summers the rest of the year. If I snag a 350AWD next time around, it probably comes with all seasons.....did you happen to notice? What do you all think? Cost wise, the AWD adds upfront costs, maybe better resale here, but the RWD model needs about $1200 in tires/wheels for winter......hmmm.
According to the literature, AWD models, both 250 and 350, get standard 225/45VR-17s (all-season) both front and rear. That is different from the RWD models, which get different tire-width all-seasons from front and rear (so you can't rotate the tires front-to-back). 40-series 18-inchers (summer-only) are an option, but, IMO, would ride too stiffly...and they would also be unsuitable for slippery roads.

If you really need to get through a Wisconsin winter, with deep snow, the low ground clearance (and low-profile tires) on all the IS models may not cut it.......you might (?) be better-off looking at an RX350.
Old 10-06-10, 04:23 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

mmarshall,
I agree, you would lose some of the "sporty" driving characteristics of the RWD model by going AWD. Thanks for the info on the tires. As for switching to a RX, not a chance I probably would have bought one over my 2010 4runner, but the cargo area is so small with its sharp roof line compared to my 4runner. I have a large dog and on occasion pack it to capacity with stuff for trips and etc. Plus, its nice having a fun little sedan to cruise around with versus 2 SUV's.......got to enjoy life a little!
Old 10-06-10, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigbwb
mmarshall,
I agree, you would lose some of the "sporty" driving characteristics of the RWD model by going AWD. Thanks for the info on the tires. As for switching to a RX, not a chance I probably would have bought one over my 2010 4runner, but the cargo area is so small with its sharp roof line compared to my 4runner. I have a large dog and on occasion pack it to capacity with stuff for trips and etc. Plus, its nice having a fun little sedan to cruise around with versus 2 SUV's.......got to enjoy life a little!
The RX suggestion, of course, was for only really deep snow (I myself, for the money, like the Subaru Outback). For minor storms and accumulations of just a few inches, the AWD 350 will probably do OK. The 45-series tires, though, even with all-seasons, will probably not (all else equal) have quite the wet/snow grip of taller-profiles. But tire engineers, in the last several years, have really made some advances in tire tread-compounds and technology which can produce tires that are good at several things at one....which was unheard of years ago.
Old 10-07-10, 08:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The GS350 and LS460 have had AWD options. The GS350 since 2006, and the LS460 since 2008.
The GS300, after its redesign for 2006, also had an AWD version before it converted to the GS350. I remember looking at one, test-driving it, and writing it up, though it was not the same comprehensive type of review I do now.

Unfortunately, the GS300's reliability, according to Consumer Reports, turned out below average.........a rarity for a Lexus product. That held over, to a leser extent, in the GS350.