Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Scion tC....the end of "boring" small Toyotas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-10, 02:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2011 Scion tC....the end of "boring" small Toyotas?

A number of you, on CAR CHAT, have either grumbled or expressed dissatisfaction with the design of many current Toyota products, complaining that they weren't "sporty" enough, lacked "personality", were too "staid" or "boring" (Lexus IS-F and LF-A, of course, notwithstanding). I don't happen to share that view myself, about Toyotas necessarily being boring, but I but respect your opinions .

I was reading, in my monthly paper-copy of Road and Track, this write-up of the new 2011 Scion tC (like Car and Driver, they do First-Drive impressions, in addition to the regular comparisons and road tests). Sam Mitani, one of R&T's regular staff-members, seemed pretty impressd with the new Scion tC...quite a different vehicle from the 1Gen model. Scion, of course, has traditionally been the most youth-oriented of Toyota's three divisions, though the xB and xA sold surprisingly well to older folks who wanted a simple, reliabile, versatile car.

The new tC, of course, is not a torque-heavy, RWD road-stormer (it still retains a standard 4-cylinder and FWD), but, from Sam's write-up here, it certainly takes a different direction than its predecessor.

(For some reason, R&T didn't put the full paper-copy article on-line, but the condensed version shown here still gives a good overview)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/im.../2011-scion-tc

At first glance, the new tC looks meaner and more purpose-driven. The front is highlighted by canted rectangular headlights and a slim grille. The bulging rear fenders and thick C-pillars give the new tC an American muscle-car flavor, and when seen from the rear, its squarish taillight treatment smacks of a Ford Mustang. A wider stance, increased from 69.1. to 70.7 in., not only makes the car look sportier, it improves overall stability. The new car’s length and height remain unchanged at 174.0 and 55.7 in., respectively.

Under the hood resides a new 2.5-liter 2AR-FE inline-4 that produces 180 bhp at 6000 rpm and 173 lb.-ft. of torque at 4100, increases of 19 bhp and 11 lb.-ft. of torque from the current model. It features Toyota’s variable timing system (VVT-i), tumble control valves and a variable-induction intake manifold system, all of which help the engine achieve fuel economy of 23/31 mpg. This is nearly a 3 percent improvement over the current tC.

The engine comes mated to a couple of new gearboxes: a 6-speed manual and a 6-speed automatic. For our evaluation purposes, we chose the 6-speed manual, and took the car on the winding roads outside San Diego, California, to see if the new tC drove as sporty as it looked.

The new tC is a completely different animal than its predecessor. The chassis has been stiffened dramatically, as each bump in the road was communicated to the driver through the seats and steering wheel. And speaking of that wheel, it’s a new design with a super thick rim; in fact, a bit too thick for my tastes. Thick rim or not, the tC’s handling was sharp. Although it did feel front- heavy through tight corners, the car maintained good overall balance through the high-speed turns, while turn-in felt crisp. The suspension system—MacPherson struts up front and upper and lower A-arms at the rear, did a commendable job keeping the car stable, although a semi-choppy ride quality results from the stiff tuning. But this is a sports coupe, and a bit of ride harshness is just part of the deal.

The engine exhibited excellent low-range tractability, although I wish there was a bit more punch in the upper rev range. Still, it gets the job done, powering the car to 60 mph in 7.6 seconds, according to Toyota, while letting out a growl that I can’t recall hearing in a Toyota product since the Celica. The new 2011 tC will arrive at dealerships this fall with a base price of $18,275 for the manual and $19,275 for the automatic.

TOP COMPETITORS

Chevrolet Cobalt coupe

Ford Focus coupe

Honda Civic coupe

Kia Forte Koup

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-10 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-03-10, 04:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm not a fan of the TC or Scions in general, but I do think the TC represents a good value for those looking for a decently sporty coupe. Offering good fuel economy, respectable power and modern transmissions. Reliability doesn't hurt either. Thanks for posting Marshall!
Old 10-03-10, 05:39 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did anyone notice the 2011 tC at the Pursuit today? I saw it when I was leaving the lot. The back looks a bit odd to me
Old 10-03-10, 06:15 PM
AMAlex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it. Nice to know its a little sportier and looks much improved in the front. I'm sure the back could look a bit better, but I cant complain.
Old 10-03-10, 06:48 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

IMO the new model looks better.
Old 10-03-10, 07:04 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*yawn* .......
Old 10-03-10, 09:14 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

much improved from the previous generations. i agree with Hoovey2411- the scion does provide adequate power and decent gas economy. it's not as weak anymore. the aggressive styling looks nice, and that rear seating just looks larger, which is always nice for those sitting in the rear.
Old 10-03-10, 11:20 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

A darker color helps to offset that bizarre window kink. The rear end is also very plain.

Other than that, probably the least boring US car from Toyota right now.
Old 10-04-10, 12:39 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Did anyone notice the 2011 tC at the Pursuit today? I saw it when I was leaving the lot. The back looks a bit odd to me
That's because the back end IS odd. It looks just like a Saturn ION.
Old 10-04-10, 01:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd love to see the purported convertible version. That should "tidy up" the C-pillar design...
Old 10-04-10, 04:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The TC is much nicer and better equipped with standard features but it's still a car for the 16-25 yr old female,IMO.
Old 10-04-10, 05:54 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Toyota should stop selling Scions period. This was attempt to take customers from Honda. Just sell this crap under the Toyota name.
Old 10-04-10, 07:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A touch of "yawn" but I'm willing to guess it looks better in person. In this price range and class of car I expect it to do fairly well.
Old 10-04-10, 08:32 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
Toyota should stop selling Scions period. This was attempt to take customers from Honda. Just sell this crap under the Toyota name.
Scion has a totally different marketing and demographic than Toyota. Why dont we just sell Lexus under Toyota?
Old 10-04-10, 08:46 AM
LexFather

While the new gen seems more tough and butch looking compared to the last one (which still looks good IMO) I have 0 interest in buying or driving one.

I predicted Scion should not have been a separate brand and seeing as it debuted during Toyota's yearning to grow grow grow I wonder do they regret the move now. It sells slow and the money invested in having a separate brand could have been used to develop sportier Toyotas.

Quick Reply: 2011 Scion tC....the end of "boring" small Toyotas?