Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW to cover maintenance costs for sludge-damaged engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-10, 07:35 AM
LexFather

Post VW to cover maintenance costs for sludge-damaged engines

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...NEWS/100929873

Volkswagen AG has agreed to pay maintenance costs under a proposed settlement in a class-action lawsuit over sludge-damaged engines in 479,768 VW and Audi models.

Judge Joseph Tauro of the U.S. District Court in Boston gave conditional approval of the settlement last week. A hearing to approve the final settlement is scheduled for March 11, 2011.

According to court documents, the settlement affects 1997-2004 Audi A4 models and 1998-2004 VW Passat models with 1.8-liter turbocharged engines.

The engines were prone to oil sludge from coking deposits even when maintained according to the automaker's recommended maintenance intervals and oil-quality specifications, court documents show.

“Each plaintiff claims that his or her vehicle was damaged or will suffer future damages as a result of the alleged sludge and coking problems,” court records show.

The multi-state suit was consolidated in Massachusetts in 2006 according to lawyers representing car owners. The suit also claims VW and Audi failed to honor an 8-year unlimited warranty extension issued in 2004 by denying claims brought by vehicle owners with sludge-related engine failures.

VW and Audi have agreed to “cover 100 percent of the maintenance costs for owners/lessees with proper documentation of required oil changes, and 50 percent for those without proper documentation,” plaintiff lawyers said in a statement today.

The settlement also provides owners and lessees eligibility for a 10-year/120,000-mile enhanced oil sludge warranty, according to a statement issued from lawyers Peter McNulty, Kirk Tresemer, and Russell Henkin, who represent the vehicle owners.

All class members who currently own or lease the covered vehicles will also receive revised oil-maintenance recommendations.

A Volkswagen AG spokeswoman said the two sides are still finalizing the settlement.

“The terms haven't been worked out--the exact compensation or remediation is not yet finalized,” the spokeswoman said.

VW said letters will be sent out to owners around Dec. 20, and the final amount of the settlement will be determined by the number and size of claims paid.

VW began notifying owners of the problem in August 2004 after receiving consumer complaints. The automaker's remedies ranged from extending warranties to covering repair costs, including complete engine replacement.

Sludge buildup can cause engine performance to deteriorate, and in extreme cases, engines to lock up.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...#ixzz117N5vWhx

Old 10-01-10, 08:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

what was the oil change interval in these cars, being that they are turbocharged.
Old 10-01-10, 08:47 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This type of issue is one of the reasons I did not opt for a 2010 Lincoln MKS with the twin turbo ecoboost in it's first year of sale.
Old 10-01-10, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
what was the oil change interval in these cars, being that they are turbocharged.
The article doesn't say, but a good idea for turbos is not to go over 3000 miles, regardless of driving conditions. That is also the case, of course, for N/A engines in "severe" driving conditions...which covers a lot of the type of driving we do today.
Old 10-01-10, 09:54 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My knowledge of turbo technology is a long way from up to date - I thought that post-oiling, and/or water cooling the turbo bearings was going to be the way out of the oil coking problem. Did the industry give up on putting a turbo in every garage, or did they dedicate the turbo to enthusiast-owners who would not object to frequent oil changes?
Old 10-01-10, 11:08 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddied girlfriend has an A4 with the 1.8 Turbo motor, 5k intervals, every time she brings it in for an oil change it's low on oil
Old 10-01-10, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
My knowledge of turbo technology is a long way from up to date - I thought that post-oiling, and/or water cooling the turbo bearings was going to be the way out of the oil coking problem.
Intercoolers, water-cooled turbo-housings, idle-downs after a hard run, and pre-oiling, of course, have all helped the oil-coking problem (plus well-designed wastegates that don't allow excess boost/heat to build up), but the main factor has probably been the increasing popularity of synthetic oil. Even if the other factors let you down, and the turbo temperatures DO build up in spite of them, synthetic oil can stay in a liquid, lubricating state, without losing its viscosity, at a far higher temperatures than even the best of Turbo-Approved petroleum/dino oils, which would bake and turn to carbon. That's why synthetic is now widely recommended (or required) by most automakers today for turbo vehicles.
Old 10-01-10, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
My buddied girlfriend has an A4 with the 1.8 Turbo motor, 5k intervals, every time she brings it in for an oil change it's low on oil
5K may be stretching it, especially if she regularly winds the turbo up. Does she use synthetic oil?.....my guess is yes if the oil changes are done at an Audi shop, although VW shops probably use the same oil and factory-filters as Audi shops do.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-01-10 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-01-10, 04:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that engine Direct Injected, just curious?

btw, I do know somebody that had the head gasket fail at 65K miles.

Last edited by IS-SV; 10-01-10 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-01-10, 05:01 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On my hood it says recommended oil change interval is every 12k. I use to do it every 3k then bumped it to 4k. Every time it passes the 4k mark, there is a light that comes on in my tach that according to the manual means "low oil/add oil", not the red one that is near the battery. This consistently happens. I always fill with synthetic using 6 qts.
Old 10-01-10, 05:16 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

imagine the BMW turboed engines running 15k miles intervals, I wouldnt be surprised if they have a sludge problem later
Old 10-02-10, 12:15 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
5K may be stretching it, especially if she regularly winds the turbo up. Does she use synthetic oil?.....my guess is yes if the oil changes are done at an Audi shop, although VW shops probably use the same oil and factory-filters as Audi shops do.
it's a lease, the car is only an image booster for her, goes to the audi shop for service, she drives like a typical girl, so it has seen cold mornings and hard acceleration cause she is running late

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Is that engine Direct Injected, just curious?

btw, I do know somebody that had the head gasket fail at 65K miles.
she will only have it until the lease expires

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
On my hood it says recommended oil change interval is every 12k. I use to do it every 3k then bumped it to 4k. Every time it passes the 4k mark, there is a light that comes on in my tach that according to the manual means "low oil/add oil", not the red one that is near the battery. This consistently happens. I always fill with synthetic using 6 qts.
dealer uses synthetic, I think they use the German Castrol, as for oil changes the dealer told her every 5 and that burning oil is common, the car burns oil but it does not get topped off until it goes to the dealer, engine sounds off a little, might be the lack of oil to lube it
Old 10-02-10, 02:55 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I had a 1999 VW 1.8T and a 2003 Audi 1.8T. Both engines required oil changes at 5k miles and both were done under free maintenance at the dealer. Never had any problems but I also drove easy. I did however get a letter in the mail after I sold my A4 that there was some class action lawsuit for leaky sunroofs- which I did have. But the dealer fixed it under warranty at the time. Interestingly, during the lengthly time I spent in the Audi A4 forums, no one complained of sludge problems. I don't think it was that widespread.
German cars- drive and handle great, but not built as reliable as our Lexi.
Old 10-02-10, 04:25 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
My knowledge of turbo technology is a long way from up to date - I thought that post-oiling, and/or water cooling the turbo bearings was going to be the way out of the oil coking problem. Did the industry give up on putting a turbo in every garage, or did they dedicate the turbo to enthusiast-owners who would not object to frequent oil changes?
Ford is betting heavy on turbos with their Ecoboost line of 4 and 6 cylinder gas engines that will be used across their line.