Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wife gets a ticket in a crosswalk trap

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 11:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Wife gets a ticket in a crosswalk trap

The "Flash Headlights as Warning of Speed Trap" reminded me of my wife getting a ticket 9/04 for Driver to stop for pedestrian violation.
I was dropping off my RX for a clear bra install and the wife is following me.
I'm following about 4 cars on a town local street and the wife is behind me about 10 cars back.For some reason she always does that when following me.This time it hurt.
There was a crosswalk trap where a plain dressed cop just steps into the road on the opposite side of the street and if you don't stop,you get a ticket when you continue around the bend of this street.
The cars were lined up on the side of the road.When I passed,I thought it was a radar trap which is there at times.Not this time.As I went by I looked in my rear view mirror and hoped my wife didn't get nabbed.I then saw a cop point to her to pull over.
Again,I thought she was nabbed for speeding in this 25MPH zone.Later when she told me it was a pedestrian crossing ticket I was amazed.
She went to court and the room was filled with angry ticket holders.
2 points and a $230 fine.2-3 pt moving violations fines usually cost $85-$125.This one $230.Her first ticket in 36 years of driving.
We learned as of April 1 2010,a driver has to stop rather than slow down for a pedestrian.I understand it's important to do so but the opposite side of the street and one foot into the street is a bit ridiculous.
The only reason why I didn't get nabbed is because I was with a group of vehicles and maybe the cops figured if they cop steps into the street and someone stop,a chain reaction rear hits would follow.
I believe we're going to see more of these speed traps and tickets giving out in NJ because of municipalities needing the revenue.My state has the highest average basic patrolman's salary $89630 last year.
Adds to my high NJ real estate tax which is also the highest average in the nation.
That was an expensive Ventureshield bra I had installed.

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-29-10 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-29-10, 11:22 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ouch, sorry to hear. What about if the street has an island or a concrete area for pedestrians to stay on if they're too slow to make it to the other side? I know in Cali as long as they aren't on your side of the street, you can still go with no problem.

Its good practice to always stop behind the crosswalk at a red light when making a right turn, never know who is going to cross.
Old 09-29-10, 11:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
Ouch, sorry to hear. What about if the street has an island or a concrete area for pedestrians to stay on if they're too slow to make it to the other side? I know in Cali as long as they aren't on your side of the street, you can still go with no problem.

Its good practice to always stop behind the crosswalk at a red light when making a right turn, never know who is going to cross.
The town was Bloomfield,NJ.No islands.
Other areas of the town have cones with sign in the middle of the street at the crosswalks.This one didn't.No excuse but a undercover cop with one foot on the street on the opposite side of this much wider than average street was ridiculous.
No doubt done for revenue cash.
They had at least 10 vehicles pulled over and my wife told me she had to pull up four times to let other vehicles park.She received her ticket in less than 3 minutes.No doubt these tickets were filled out in advance only adding driver and vehicle info.
Old 09-29-10, 11:33 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, the circumstances are ridiculous, one leg on the street 30 feet away shouldnt justify a ticket. They had the same type of trap near my high school, they had about 10 cars parked on the side. Most were students :\
Old 09-29-10, 11:37 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup, they do the same exact sting here in Dutchess County, NY
plain clothes cops walking into the crosswalk... car doesn't stop... bam! ticket!

it's one thing if the pedestrian is clearly in the crosswalk(and the car doesn't stop)
but, one foot off the curb.... c'mon. so weak
Sometimes cops just don't know when to "play fair"
Old 09-29-10, 11:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Going to court is a joke.If you want to talk to the judge and lose,another few hundred is added for court costs.What a racket.
Your word against a cops rarely works.One foot on the street is enough anyway.Now the wife didn't go to court for that,she went to see if she could pay the fine and eliminate the points.
I told her to try and negotiate with the prosecutor and get rid of the the points.The guy wouldn't budge.She did get rid of the points...at a cost of another $208.More NJ revenue.
She should have just kept the points.2 pts doesn't have any effect on the insurance(3 or 4pts does) and the points erase after one year if no other tickets are given.She just paid the extra money.That's my wife!

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-29-10 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-29-10, 12:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The "Flash Headlights as Warning of Speed Trap" reminded me of my wife getting a ticket 9/04 for Driver to stop for pedestrian violation.
I was dropping off my RX for a clear bra install and the wife is following me.
I'm following about 4 cars on a town local street and the wife is behind me about 10 cars back.For some reason she always does that when following me.This time it hurt.
There was a crosswalk trap where a plain dressed cop just steps into the road on the opposite side of the street and if you don't stop,you get a ticket when you continue around the bend of this street.
The cars were lined up on the side of the road.When I passed,I thought it was a radar trap which is there at times.Not this time.As I went by I looked in my rear view mirror and hoped my wife didn't get nabbed.I then saw a cop point to her to pull over.
Again,I thought she was nabbed for speeding in this 25MPH zone.Later when she told me it was a pedestrian crossing ticket I was amazed.
She went to court and the room was filled with angry ticket holders.
2 points and a $230 fine.2-3 pt moving violations fines usually cost $85-$125.This one $230.Her first ticket in 36 years of driving.
We learned as of April 1 2010,a driver has to stop rather than slow down for a pedestrian.I understand it's important to do so but the opposite side of the street and one foot into the street is a bit ridiculous.
The only reason why I didn't get nabbed is because I was with a group of vehicles and maybe the cops figured if they cop steps into the street and someone stop,a chain reaction rear hits would follow.
I believe we're going to see more of these speed traps and tickets giving out in NJ because of municipalities needing the revenue.My state has the highest average basic patrolman's salary $89630 last year.
Adds to my high NJ real estate tax which is also the highest average in the nation.
That was an expensive Ventureshield bra I had installed.
Wow first ticket in 36 years! Amazing Sorry to hear about the ticket. Surprised it wasn't thrown out considering her stellar record.

Damn governments are basically dry trying to rape drivers. If we all walked and dropped the cars then what.

I got a WARNING recently for this, in front the state capital no less I wasn't speeding I was driving the 35 MPH limit. Well there are tons of govt vehicles parked to the left so its hard to see the crosswalk from the beginning. I am driving and this lady DARTS OUT walking. I see her and SLAM on my brakes to stop as she is in the crosswalk. I brake in time to not go over the line. The lady WAVES to me and I wave back.

I hit the gas and next thing I know a black Barney Fife pulls me over. I pull over next to the capital so he isn't in traffic instead of pulling over to the right where he would be in traffic. He scolds me for that. He then says I was flying and almost hit the lady. Initially I was argumentative but black Barney Fife didn't seem to like it so I just shut up and said "sorry". I guess that pleased him as I got a warning.

SMH

Old 09-29-10, 12:14 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow first ticket in 36 years! Amazing:thumb up::thumb up: Sorry to hear about the ticket. Surprised it wasn't thrown out considering her stellar record.

Damn governments are basically dry trying to rape drivers. If we all walked and dropped the cars then what.

I got a WARNING recently for this, in front the state capital no less I wasn't speeding I was driving the 35 MPH limit. Well there are tons of govt vehicles parked to the left so its hard to see the crosswalk from the beginning. I am driving and this lady DARTS OUT walking. I see her and SLAM on my brakes to stop as she is in the crosswalk. I brake in time to not go over the line. The lady WAVES to me and I wave back.

I hit the gas and next thing I know a black Barney Fife pulls me over. I pull over next to the capital so he isn't in traffic instead of pulling over to the right where he would be in traffic. He scolds me for that. He then says I was flying and almost hit the lady. Initially I was argumentative but black Barney Fife didn't seem to like it so I just shut up and said "sorry". I guess that pleased him as I got a warning.

SMH
Being a pretty female over the years has it's advantages over us guys.
She has been pulled over only 3 times in those 36 years,though.
You were lucky to get that break.
The prosecutor didn't care about her spotless record.It's about the money now.
With all the cuts being done by our Gov Christie(who is doing the right thing),cities will be getting revenue from other sources and traffic fines will be one.
Old 09-29-10, 01:21 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That is so ridiculous. I don't get the obsession with pedestrians having the right of way. We're the ones in the 4,000lb mass of moving steel.
Old 09-29-10, 01:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sadly a story of misguided enforcement without good intentions.
Old 09-29-10, 01:38 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I bet their excuse is that if someone starts to actually walk across will people stop their cars or continue. Though that mentality has merit, the fact that's not the real reason for their actions deserves to have those tickets thrown out of court.
Old 09-29-10, 01:43 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No surprises here. Atlanta cops are getting downright dirty in their ploy for $$. Law enforcement is now more of a business than a service.
Old 09-29-10, 01:57 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Joeb, they do the same thing in Montclair so stay clear of there too. It's bad enough that town doesn't know what a snowplow is despite their astronomically high taxes and mansions. I see the cops pulling people over every few weeks during stings. To add insult to injury, no crosswalk is required, just a corner with people waiting to cross. I make sure I stop all the time. You never know if the person is undercover. I'd like them to start ticketing the stupid jaywalkers, especially ones with small children. Now that would make them more money.
Old 09-29-10, 02:08 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitlz
Joeb, they do the same thing in Montclair so stay clear of there too. It's bad enough that town doesn't know what a snowplow is despite their astronomically high taxes and mansions. I see the cops pulling people over every few weeks during stings. To add insult to injury, no crosswalk is required, just a corner with people waiting to cross. I make sure I stop all the time. You never know if the person is undercover. I'd like them to start ticketing the stupid jaywalkers, especially ones with small children. Now that would make them more money.
Things are only going to get worse for that revenue in NJ,Anita.
The trouble with stopping for people having one foot in the street is getting the vehicle behind you kissing your rear.
First time I've ever seen a crosswalk trap>Speaking of Montclair,my home is near Montclair State University.
Old 09-29-10, 02:08 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have those same type of pedestrian laws. Its pretty standard now days. The law I really wish they would crack down on is cars blocking the intersection. How stupid do you have to be to get caught in the middle of the intersection when the light turns red. Do people really not have the ability to see a head and judge the available space? I also wish they crack down on cars crossing Solid Lines. Those two things really **** me off.

Quick Reply: Wife gets a ticket in a crosswalk trap