Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

(Finally) Review: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 10:24 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you talking about the Mustang or Camaro here? I know you once considered a deal on a Shelby Mustang that apparantly didn't go through.
I can see your confusion I was talking how the Mustang still brings it for me, the Camaro... no

And yes, the Shelby is in the "mix" (couldn't find a Kona Blue with all the specs I wanted so looks like 2011 allotment for that or perhaps a Super Snake) but I'm giving a look at some pre-owned "exotics" to save some serious $$$
Old 09-29-10, 11:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I can see your confusion I was talking how the Mustang still brings it for me, the Camaro... no

And yes, the Shelby is in the "mix" (couldn't find a Kona Blue with all the specs I wanted so looks like 2011 allotment for that or perhaps a Super Snake) but I'm giving a look at some pre-owned "exotics" to save some serious $$$
Mustangs, particularly V8 models, should also be (somewhat) easier to find. I don't see the same shortage of Mustang GTs (or even some Shelbys) at Ford dealerships that I've seen with the Camaro SS. I suspect the upcoming Z28 Camaro will also be difficult to get.
Old 09-29-10, 12:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews: (now that I FINALLY got the SS off my docket)...............2011 Hyundai Equus, 2011 Ford Explorer, 2012 Ford Focus. These haven't been released in America yet, so I don't know when I will be able to do them. And I've also decided what I'm going to do for the Annual December Holiday review this year.....I don't think you guys will be disappointed this time, like you were last year with the BMW 550 GT.
Old 09-29-10, 01:20 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Next planned reviews: (now that I FINALLY got the SS off my docket)...............2011 Hyundai Equus, 2011 Ford Explorer, 2012 Ford Focus. These haven't been released in America yet, so I don't know when I will be able to do them. And I've also decided what I'm going to do for the Annual December Holiday review this year.....I don't think you guys will be disappointed this time, like you were last year with the BMW 550 GT.
Aston Martin Vantage V12 Carbon Edition?????????????
Old 09-29-10, 01:57 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking forward to that one,Mike.
Old 09-29-10, 03:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No, but you're not as far off as you might think.
Old 09-29-10, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Looking forward to that one,Mike.
Yes, though the Explorer is no longer a huge mega-sales star like it was in the 1990's (mainly due to a lot more competition now), it is still a popular and significant vehicle in the mid-sized SUV field.
Old 09-29-10, 03:36 PM
LexFather

Wow, great review MIke, fun car. I love how it looks and the performance. Interior as you stated needs work.

Then 37k for a bailed out with taxpayer money car. No thanks. It should be free to Americans. lol at the Hulk Hogan reference

Its funny that most coupes no matter how big or small have useless back seats.

Old 09-29-10, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, great review Mike, fun car.
Thanks.

I love how it looks and the performance. Interior as you stated needs work.
Just imagine what the upcoming Z28 will do. According to Road and Track magazine, It will (supposedly) use the same 6.2L and 556 HP rating that the current CTS-V does. But that's still off for 2012...and it is not 100% certain. Its target, of course, is the Shelby Mustang.

Then 37K for a bailed out with taxpayer money car. No thanks. It should be free to Americans. lol at the Hulk Hogan reference
You could use the taxpayer-reference for any GM vehicle, of course...not just this one. And V6 Camaros start at just 22-23K....much less than a loaded SS (and that's assuming, of course, that dealer-greed doesn't mark up the SS models even more........last spring, they were up to 50K at some places.

The Hulk Hogan comparison, of course, is not literal, but American muscle/pony-cars have never been known for light, snick-snick clutches and shift linkage. I still remember the heavy clutches and the Iron-Man T-Handle Hurst four-speeds on the ones I grew up with 40 years ago. Today's, by contrast are not quite that heavy, but you still know you aren't in a feather-easy-to-shift car like a Honda Civic. Still, in the SS, I never missed a shift in the entire test-drive....the linkage is somewhat heavy, but precise.

Its funny that most coupes no matter how big or small have useless back seats.
Technically, the back seats on a number of coupes are just there to keep insurance premiums down. Insurance companies, in general, for whatever reasons, don't seem to like 2-seaters. They also don't like high-powered Mustangs and Camaros, even with the back seat. And some of that may be justified, when you look at the accident rate of those two cars, especially with young drivers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-29-10 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-29-10, 06:11 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 158 Posts

Excellent review as always, Mike. Being a tall guy (6'5") who likes a well put-together interior, I'm crossing the Camaro off my list, but it's nice to get the all-around picture.

You mentioned twice that the engine is Transverse-mounted. Is that really true? It boggles my mind that they'd put the motor in sideways in a front-engine, RWD-only car.
Old 09-29-10, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Excellent review as always, Mike.
Thanks.

Being a tall guy (6' 5") who likes a well put-together interior, I'm crossing the Camaro off my list, but it's nice to get the all-around picture.
Probably a wise move. If you're 6' 5" (you must be a basketball player) and you get in a sunroof-equipped Camaro, you'll be lying halfway on your back, like F-16 jocks doing high-G manuvers. That back-leaning-position also makes the belt/harness assembly much less effective in a crash than in a normal, upright seated position...you tend to submarine under it, rather than in to it.

The interior, BTW, is actually fairly-well asembled from a workmanship point of view. I didn't hear any rattles or squeaks, even over bumps. It's just the cheapish trim materials used that could use some improvement.

You mentioned twice that the engine is Transverse-mounted. Is that really true? It boggles my mind that they'd put the motor in sideways in a front-engine, RWD-only car.
Again, Thanks. If I did, sorry....that's a typo. Good catch. I obviously meant longitudinal. I'll go back and correct it. I put a lot of time and care into reviews and write-ups, but sometimes those typos get through.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-29-10 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-30-10, 11:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The first public 2011 Camaro convertible (the second production model off the line) has just been delivered......auctioned-off at $205,000. I started a new thread on that.
Old 09-30-10, 02:12 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

No, but you're not as far off as you might think.
Audi R8 V10 Spyder?????????
Old 09-30-10, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Audi R8 V10 Spyder?????????
No. And it won't cost quite as much as an Aston, but you won't be disappointed. Just stay tuned till early December.

Remember....I did an Audi S5 Holiday Review for you a couple of years ago, just at your request.

In the meantime, I've got a few CL requests for the upcoming 2011 Ford Explorer, Lexus IS350AWD, and Hyundai Equus (I'm not sure how Hyundai is going to handle Equus sales, and/or if casual pre-test drives will be allowed), and I also plan to do the new 2012 Ford Focus after it is released in January. I'm also (tempted) to do another new Chevy Malibu and/or the Lincoln MKZ hybrid or AWD in the meantime...they are both NICE cars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-30-10 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-30-10, 03:36 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

No. And it won't cost quite as much as an Aston, but you won't be disappointed. Just stay tuned till early December.

Remember....I did an Audi S5 Holiday Review for you a couple of years ago, just at your request. ....
Yep (and BIG thx again!!! ), which assisted on my futile attempt to order one back then.

Last guess... Lotus Evora S

Quick Reply: (Finally) Review: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS