Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler Workers Drinking and Getting High at Lunch

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-10, 08:13 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Chrysler Workers Drinking and Getting High at Lunch

This type of story about domestic autoworkers, assumed to be UAW, makes it hard for the Big 3 to overcome the perception of poor quality vehicles.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ed_20100923_dk
Old 09-23-10, 08:38 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A few rotten apples spoil the whole bunch.
Old 09-23-10, 08:49 AM
LexFather

Not sure what is so surprising here. Maybe to those sheltered from society?

Old 09-23-10, 08:49 AM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eh, 1. its fox, it might as well be on a tabloid. Those didn't even look like a group of dude s that worked at the same company, all in street cloths. 2. American cars have fallen behind the quality curve for so many other reasons anyhow.
Old 09-23-10, 08:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I wish the US automakers would die off, just to see those union animals starve.
Old 09-23-10, 09:29 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JakeBreyck
Eh, 1. its fox, it might as well be on a tabloid. Those didn't even look like a group of dude s that worked at the same company, all in street cloths. 2. American cars have fallen behind the quality curve for so many other reasons anyhow.
Right, since every other station “is the truth”. And it’s a local station, as an fyi

What do you mean worked at the same company? Half my family worked in the big 3, many of them go to work in “street cloths”

As far as quality, have you checked ratings recently or you looking at something from 1985?
Old 09-23-10, 09:39 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not sure what is so surprising here. Maybe to those sheltered from society?
Agreed. And look, even white collar business men/women drink at lunch sometimes at " lunch meetings." This is not something that is brand new and only associated with UAW blue collar workers in Detroit. Open your eyes folks...
Old 09-23-10, 10:03 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrMut
Agreed. And look, even white collar business men/women drink at lunch sometimes at " lunch meetings." This is not something that is brand new and only associated with UAW blue collar workers in Detroit. Open your eyes folks...
Cannot even count how many times I sat down with execs and we had a scotch \ beer at lunch...........
Old 09-23-10, 10:05 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Growing up in Detroit, I remember a favorite high school teacher telling my class about how employees of the Big 3 would go out into the parking lots at lunch to drink and get high. He also talked about how many Japanese auto workers would play volleyball and exercise at lunch. This was in the early 1980's. I can see things haven't changed much.
Old 09-23-10, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

One thing, though, that is overlooked by the article is that much of what is on today's new vehicles is assembled, fitted, or painted by robots. In fact, that's one reason (among several) why so workers in the auto industry have been laid off....UAW or otherwise. Robots don't care who's drinking on their lunch hour or who's not....though, of course, you want the people who are programming and overseeing the robots to be sober.
Old 09-23-10, 10:12 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Minus Ford, I agree... does the UAW now have mandatory drug screening.... if you pass, you fail? Wait, is that contradictory? Wait, who bailed out GM.... and the unions????
Chrysler Workers Drinking and Getting High at Lunch-barry.jpg
Old 09-23-10, 10:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Why? At a time when many American-designed/produced vehicles, after decades, are FINALLY beginning to become competitive with the best from other countries? I agree.........get rid of alcoholics/substance-abusers on the assembly lines if they don't (or won't) rehab, BUT....... let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater. Many UAW members, after the pay/benefit/job-security cuts of the past few years, are also becoming more productive....perhaps too much so, as they have to earn a living/retirement for themselves and their families just like anybody else.
Old 09-23-10, 10:42 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeBreyck
What does that even mean with the whole fox and tabloid comment? Do you think everything was just staged and made up because you have something against fox? It was a local station anyways. Do you think CBS, NBC, MSNBC, Time, CNN, etc don't have their extreme biases and agendas? The one anchor admitted being a union member for a long time and he was outraged so I don't think this was just made up story to suit an agenda.

I have worked at a GM plant and in most cases you can wear your street clothes at worked. I also knew there were several guys/gals who would drink and smoke up during their lunch break but then again every job I have had whether blue or white collar had people who drank and did drugs before work, during work, during lunch breaks. Drinking is often done very openly at meetings/lunch in many white collar jobs.

This looks terrible for Chrysler especially after getting bailed out by the government but the reality is drinking/doing drugs on the job is not limited to just union members, autoworkers, or blue collar jobs. If people don't think the same thing happens with white collar/technical workers, police officers, military, engineers, teachers, security guards, judges, etc they are incredibly naive.

Even with some autoworkers drinking/smoking up on their lunch breaks that has very little to do with the Big 3s past/present problems with design, reliability, durability, competitiveness, and quality with their vehicles.
Old 09-23-10, 10:49 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UDel
Even with some autoworkers drinking/smoking up on their lunch breaks that has very little to do with the Big 3s past/present problems with design, reliability, durability, competitiveness, and quality with their vehicles.
... but I can no longer put Ford in this equation... they are doing phenomenal and continue to improve
Old 09-23-10, 11:24 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
lol... 10char

Quick Reply: Chrysler Workers Drinking and Getting High at Lunch