Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mini-Review/Update: 2011 Audi Q5 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-10, 04:10 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Mike, always liked the Q5.

I have never done a full write-up on the Wolf, but I will mention the only 2 things I don't like: the rear seat belts sit way too deep when buckling in the kids... and... the 2.0T, which has constant turbo lag. Once up to speed, joy oh joy. But from a standstill, I am constantly spinning wheels unless I do roll-out when trying to quick launch. Other than that, EXCELLENT mileage and plenty of passing power.

At $41K, the Q5 might be the perfect "winter driver" here
Old 09-07-10, 11:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Nice Mike,
Thanks.

Always liked the Q5.
If anything, the latest 2.0T vesion is better than the 3.2 I reviewed last year.

I have never done a full write-up on the Wolf, but I will mention the only 2 things I don't like: the rear seat belts sit way too deep when buckling in the kids...
What do you mean by "too deep"? Too much slack for the kids, even when tightened up all the way?

and... the 2.0T, which has constant turbo lag. Once up to speed, joy oh joy. But from a standstill, I am constantly spinning wheels unless I do roll-out when trying to quick launch. Other than that, EXCELLENT mileage and plenty of passing power.
I've sampled a number of VW/Audi 2.0T products, and have not noticed much turbo lag in any of them. It's one reason why I think so highly of this engine. If you leave the traction control turned on (and it's working correctly), you should have only minimal wheelspin, if any.

At $41K, the Q5 might be the perfect "winter driver" here
Call me biased if you want (actually I'm trying to be objective), but, for the money, I still haven't found a better all-around winter daily-driver than the $25-35K Outback. It's just too bad that the latest-generation model has the steering/front-suspension issues.
Old 09-07-10, 12:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews: 2011 Ford Explorer, 2012 Ford Focus, 2011 Lexus IS350AWD.
I may (?) do others in the meantime, though.
Old 09-07-10, 01:05 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

What do you mean by "too deep"? Too much slack for the kids, even when tightened up all the way?

I've sampled a number of VW/Audi 2.0T products, and have not noticed much turbo lag in any of them. It's one reason why I think so highly of this engine. If you leave the traction control turned on (and it's working correctly), you should have only minimal wheelspin, if any.

The belt clips are too recessed into the seat cushions so the kids have a hard time clipping the belts in. As for the turbo lag, I leave trac control on, maybe need to have them look at it when I get my courtesy service.
Old 09-07-10, 07:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Next planned reviews: 2011 Ford Explorer, 2012 Ford Focus, 2011 Lexus IS350AWD.
I may (?) do others in the meantime, though.
Soooo excited . Keep'em coming buddy
Old 09-08-10, 09:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
The belt clips are too recessed into the seat cushions so the kids have a hard time clipping the belts in.
That's also a common problem with some adults, particularly overweight ones. Portly backsides sometimes cover up the clip-holders if they are recessed too much.
Old 09-08-10, 09:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Soooo excited . Keep'em coming buddy
Depends on vehicle availability, of course. I may or may not be able to do the Hyundai Equus, depending on how they do the planned program of not selling them out of conventional dealerships, and only delivering them to private homes by special-order. I'm not sure I can special-order a test-drive.

Fortunately, the "First-Drive" Hyundai Eqqus thread you posted was so good , I probably won't NEED to review it.