Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Lexus IS F (Revised)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-10, 09:47 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some neat changes.............however:
-tail lights still not LED
-mirrors remained unchanged

Those two still come from the very first 2nd gen IS.

Otherwise, those are some neat changes........
Old 09-04-10, 09:50 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

nice, I like

the upgraded wheels is a little too flowery.
Old 09-04-10, 09:50 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those new wheels look very complex!
Old 09-04-10, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Looks like they've gone to the Porsche-tradition of putting a big tach in the center of the gauge cluster and a smaller speedo on the side. This speedo, though, IMO, is a little too small....and that's an important gauge, especially with the IS-F's power, if you want to keep from getting a speeding ticket.

The old model, with its rock-hard chassis (particularly the rear-suspension) was like a bucking-bronco over bumps and heaves....more or less like a somewhat quieter-running Mitsubishi Evo. We'll see if the new suspension is any more civilized.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-04-10 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-04-10, 10:52 AM
LexFather

Ive never had an issue with the IS F ride

Old 09-04-10, 11:13 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Curious to see the test results of the revisions to the suspension.
Old 09-04-10, 09:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Looks like they've gone to the Porsche-tradition of putting a big tach in the center of the gauge cluster and a smaller speedo on the side. This speedo, though, IMO, is a little too small....and that's an important gauge, especially with the IS-F's power, if you want to keep from getting a speeding ticket.

Speed readings are largely done via the adequatly-sized digital display, it works great in Porsches, the analog dial is for decoration mainly. Therefore the analog speedo is not the important gauge, the digital speedo display is.
Old 09-04-10, 09:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Ive never had an issue with the IS F ride
Agreed, considering the level of performance, none of the cars in this league ride like a LS.
Old 09-05-10, 07:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed, considering the level of performance, none of the cars in this league ride like a LS.
I found the ride too harsh.
People may have complained causing Lexus to soften the ride a bit for '11.
Old 09-05-10, 10:17 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I found the ride too harsh.
People may have complained causing Lexus to soften the ride a bit for '11.
I didn't but I realize many did. And I agree with the decision of Lexus to soften the ride, because now they can have a comfort edge over the competition.
Old 09-05-10, 10:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't but I realize many did. And I agree with the decision of Lexus to soften the ride, because now they can have a comfort edge over the competition.
Great move by Lexus/Toyota.
Old 09-05-10, 01:04 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Great move by Lexus/Toyota.
BIG
Old 09-05-10, 01:16 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

with the softening of the suspension, I dont think they will get a comfort edge. Almost every review Ive read says that the ISF has a harsher ride than the C63 and the M3. With this change, its likely that it is now at the same level as the other two, probably wont have an edge

Last edited by RXSF; 09-05-10 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-05-10, 01:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Speed readings are largely done via the adequatly-sized digital display, it works great in Porsches, the analog dial is for decoration mainly. Therefore the analog speedo is not the important gauge, the digital speedo display is.
Opinions differ on that (of course, I respect yours). Apparantly, a number of Porsche owners (and commentators)sem to agree that the digital center-display inside the large tach does work. But, on the other hand, I don't think that Porsche, even given with the high prices of their vehicles, would spend time and money, at the factory, doing both a digital and an analog speedo display in the same vehicle (which just adds to production costs), if there wasn't a high demand for the analog stuff, too. I've never been a Porsche owner, but, in most cars, I tend to prefer the analog stuff myself. Same when I was a pilot.......I found that, scanning the cockpit under instrument-conditions (and turbulence), analog sweep-needles were easier to keep track of than a bunch of video-screens or flashing digital number all over the place (in an airplane, unlike a car, you MUST learn to multi-task, often several things at once......it is simply part of flying).

(the Nissan 370Z, if you are not already aware of it, also uses both analog/digital speedos, but does it the opposite of Porsche......they put the bigger analog gauge in the middle; the smaller add-on digital one off to the left).
Old 09-05-10, 01:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
with the softening of the suspension, I dont think they will get a comfort edge. Almost every review Ive read says that the ISF has a harsher ride than the C63 and the M3. With this change, its likely that it is not at the same level as the other two, probably wont have an edge
Exactly. Though opinons differ on this, the IS-F's suspension has a LONG way to soften before it gets into what I would call the comfort zone. It is, arguably, the stiffest-riding 4-door sedan I have ever encountered, with the possible exeption of the Mitsubishi Evo. The M3's stiffness comes close, but only half a cigar. The M3's handling, though, like the Evo's, is superb....it would be a blast on a track or road-course.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-05-10 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Lexus IS F (Revised)