Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you prefer the 2011 Dodge Durango or the 2011 Ford Explorer?
2011 Dodge Durango
15.15%
2011 Ford Explorer
54.55%
2011 GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse (for the heck of it!!!)
0%
Undecided
0%
None
30.30%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: 2011 Ford Explorer vs. 2011 Dodge Durango - What's your pick?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 06:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Poll: 2011 Ford Explorer vs. 2011 Dodge Durango - What's your pick?

Mods please feel free to move/merge this thread if need be. Wanted to include a poll, so couldn't post in current threads

Poll: 2011 Ford Explorer vs. 2011 Dodge Durango - What's your pick?

The SUV is dead. Long live the SUV!

The 2011 Dodge Durango and Ford Explorer are big departures from the models that they replace. Aside from the usual styling and refinement differences, the biggest changes for these vehicle are that they both ditch the traditional body-on-frame sport-utility vehicle DNA in favor of unibody constructions. By our definition, these once-SUVs are now CUVs, though their respective parent companies continue to brand them as being traditional sport-utes through and through.

Both the Durango and Explorer offer available seating for seven and all-wheel drive, but that's where the similarities start to taper off. Each vehicle offers a choice of two different powertrains, but while Dodge has opted to go a more traditional route with by fielding the Durango with both 3.6-liter V6 and 5.7-liter V8 engines, Ford has gone in the opposite direction by equipping the Explorer with a 2.0-liter EcoBoost inline-four and a 3.5-liter V6. There are pros and cons for each – the Explorer may prove to be more fuel-efficient, but the Durango ought to tow more.

Each of these new crossovers tries to stay true to the traditional SUV mindset, just in different directions. Ford's Terrain Management system will surely come in handy for people who need more off-road prowess, though the end result remains that the Explorer is arguably more of a tall wagon than an honest SUV. The Durango keeps things a bit more and has a strong, presence that we suspect will still be well-received by people who prefer honest-to-goodness sport-utility vehicles.

We could debate the pros and cons of each vehicle all day, and indeed, we're still waiting for the Full Monty-worth of details and specifications, but we still want to know: What do you think? If you had to choose either the Explorer or Durango, which would get your pick?

Old 09-02-10, 06:22 PM
Hoovey689

My choice? This is a no-brainer for me. Ford Explorer hands down. Always had a long tradition of owning Ford's in my family. I'm not really worried about the lack of power either as the article mentions. Reason for this, I'm almost certain the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost will eventually find it's way into the Explorer's engine bay as it is offered in the Ford Flex and the two share underpinnings. If and when it does, I have an 03' XLT that will give up it's place in the garage for one of these badboys hah!!!
Old 09-02-10, 08:12 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currently have an Explorer in the family and after 4 transmissions, stuck accelerator pedals, endless squeaks and squeals, and a number of shakes and rattles, we will NEVER own another, so I guess the Durango wins by default.

EDIT: I voted None
Old 09-02-10, 08:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Currently have an Explorer in the family and after 4 transmissions, stuck accelerator pedals, endless squeaks and squeals, and a number of shakes and rattles, we will NEVER own another, so I guess the Durango wins by default.

EDIT: I voted None
Trust me, old Durango is no better.

This new Durango and the new Explorer however have little to do with the old models.
Old 09-02-10, 08:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Here are a couple of interior shots to help you decide:

Explorer..........

And Durango.................(this is actually a spy-shot)

I don't think any of us, though, can make a practical decision between the two until both models are released, in showrooms, and available for review/test-drive.
Old 09-02-10, 10:16 PM
Hoovey689

Marshall this pic (below) is of a 06-10 explorer interior, unless you were trying to show the difference in generations

Old 09-02-10, 10:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

It's just a poll (on preferences) to be taken in Sept 2010, before the actual release of the 2 new SUV's, not a a practical/buying decision, no kidding, lol.

I vote for the Explorer.
Old 09-03-10, 12:47 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

I love the technology and engines in the Explorer but I'm sorry but the Durango just looks a lot more bad ***
Old 09-03-10, 03:09 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None, I like the Cherokee.
Old 09-03-10, 04:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No contest.
Explorer.
Old 09-03-10, 05:46 AM
gsmithkaty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I love the technology and engines in the Explorer but I'm sorry but the Durango just looks a lot more bad ***
SRT8 coming?
Old 09-03-10, 05:49 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Trust me, old Durango is no better.

This new Durango and the new Explorer however have little to do with the old models.
I know that all of Ford's new stuff is vastly improved, but our experience has been so poor that I don't think we will ever go back to Ford for anything.

The transmission has given out in traffic, once on a family trip, the accelerator pedal stuck in a half-decelerated position in rush hour traffic so we had to veer off the road at 45mph....on and on. We just don't trust the company after what we have been though, and probably never will.
Old 09-03-10, 06:00 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a repost:

No contest. Explorer.
Old 09-03-10, 07:19 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

While Ford has the better reputation, I really like the look of the Durango. Ford's "Super Chief" concept has turned from looking powerful into looking like the business end of an electric razor. After years of producing monumentally ugly SUV's, Mopar may have turned the corner. While the Aspen was a FAR better looking Durango, it wasn't much of a seller - especially at the price point. This one may have legs.
Old 09-03-10, 09:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

what year is this explorer of yours?

my '06 had one early tranny glitch that was taken care or right away. apart from that - nothing.

once on a family trip, the accelerator pedal stuck in a half-decelerated position in rush hour traffic so we had to veer off the road at 45mph....
[credulity alert] um, the brakes can ALWAYS overcome the accelerator, or just drop into neutral?

Quick Reply: Poll: 2011 Ford Explorer vs. 2011 Dodge Durango - What's your pick?