Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wheels Stolen Off Of Detroit Mayor's SUV

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 09:02 AM
LexFather

Post Wheels Stolen Off Of Detroit Mayor's SUV

Cooooooold Bloooooded!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/24839429/detail.html

SUV Was Parked In Private Lot On East Jefferson Avenue

POSTED: Wednesday, September 1, 2010
UPDATED: 11:52 am EDT September 2, 2010
EmailEmail

DETROIT -- Someone swiped the tires off one of Detroit Mayor Dave Bing's vehicles overnight Tuesday while it was parked outside a condo on the city's east side.

The GMC Yukon Denali was parked in a gated private lot at the Shoreline East Condominiums on East Jefferson Avenue.

The SUV was propped up on blocks until new tires were put on and a tow truck removed it Wednesday morning.

Watch: Tires Stolen Off SUV Used By Detroit Mayor Security

A representative for the mayor called the SUV Bing's secondary vehicle, and that it is assigned to a district police chief but is if needed it can be used by Bing and those associated with him.

Detroit police are investigating.

The manager of the condominiums declined to comment.

No other vehicles had their tires stolen.

Old 09-02-10, 09:41 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, thats what he gets for driving a bailout.
Old 09-02-10, 09:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Those big wheels are pretty pricey...
Old 09-02-10, 10:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No longer rolling on Dubs, or rolling at all.
Old 09-02-10, 11:13 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's Detroit.. what do you expect?
Old 09-02-10, 11:26 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"It's just another black eye for the city. We're a laughing stock," said political consultant Adolph Mongo. "If the mayor of Detroit can't be protected from theft, how can the average citizen be protected? That's a powerful and misguided message. It would be funny if it wasn't pathetic. This city is in trouble."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0yOijWGZc

I disagree with the political consultant ... I think it's funny and pathetic. I grew up in the Detroit suburbs, and while it's still not a hot vacation spot, it's leaps and bounds better than it was in the 70's, 80's and 90's.
Old 09-02-10, 11:32 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

I cant believe I got away with that :P haha some serious skill that these thieves have.
Old 09-02-10, 01:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
seriously. The place has gone to hell over the past 3 years ( not that it was some rose garden before). I have friend out there that I visit from time to time and when I drive through detroit it seems to be a real dump. ( not saying wheels dont get stolen all over the world)
Old 09-06-10, 09:35 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
Not much good.
Old 09-06-10, 10:24 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
seriously. The place has gone to hell over the past 3 years ( not that it was some rose garden before). I have friend out there that I visit from time to time and when I drive through detroit it seems to be a real dump. ( not saying wheels dont get stolen all over the world)
I disagree - partly. Having lived very close to there for a long time, it went to hell over the time that Coleman "scumbag" Young ran it because he was a crooked bastard who tried to intimidate everyone with his race and what he did during the 60's riots. Then you had Dennis Archer come in, start cleaning house and rebuilding the city in the early/mid 90's. He made some good moves, then moved forward in his career and I don't blame him. Dennis Archer is a good man who did a lot of good in a short time.

Unfortunately, the city then elected another crooked POS named Kwame Kilpatrick who proceeded to do whatever he pleased, including hiring over 100 members of his family into positions they were not qualified for in the least. No bid contracts, overrides of council votes, and sidesteps of law were the status quo, and he's now a prisoner awaiting more trials in federal courts.

The city council president, Ken Cockrel, took over and immediately started reviewing all of Kwame's dealings because it was widely known he was a crook. Dave Bing defeated Cockrel in a special election last year, and won the full election in November. Dave Bing is a good man, and I think he will be good for the city. He has made his own money the honest way, and is a successful business owner (much like Dennis Archer).

The problem Detroit faces right now, and in fact the entire state of Michigan, is that it is entirely too dependent on automobile manufacturing to create and maintain jobs and income. There are myriad suppliers who cannot compete, in their current forms and locations, with suppliers who have been built for lean and JIT manufacturing. This is their fault, but it's a hard change to make after doing it their way for so long. If the government truly wants to get jobs rolling in that state, they need to figure out a way to get those companies to change their practices, upgrade their systems, and get competitive for jobs that are more than just in Michigan. The only other obstacle at that point is shipping times since many of the automobile manufacturers refuse to build up there due to UAW restrictions. Time for the leadership of all of the parties to start thinking globally, IMO.

Big Mack
Old 09-06-10, 11:01 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Thoughtful comments by Big Mack.
Old 09-06-10, 11:41 AM
05EX
Pole Position

Default Something's MISSING In Detroit, Jesse Jackson's Caddy Gets Stripped

http://www.autospies.com/news/Someth...tripped-57373/

Love or hate Detroit
, you have to admit one thing.That city needs some help, real bad.

And, if you didn't hear about Detroit's own, Mayor Dave Bing, getting ripped off and having his car hijacked, there's another to add to the list. Jesse Jackson's Cadillac Escalade was stolen and stripped of its wheels.

But here's the kicker: there's even more to the story.

I highly suggest you read down below then click "Read Article" to hear about the details...

Add Jesse Jackson’s ride to prominent vehicles being stripped in Detroit.

Following the embarrassing news that Mayor Dave Bing’s GMC Yukon was hijacked by criminals this week, Detroit’s Channel 7 reports that the Reverend’s Caddy Escalade SUV was stolen and stripped of its wheels while he was in town last weekend with the UAW’s militant President Bob King leading the “Jobs, Justice, and Peace” march promoting government-funded green jobs.

Read that again: Jackson’s Caddy SUV was stripped while he was in town promoting green jobs...
Old 09-06-10, 12:12 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said, Big Mac.

The BBC produced a phenominal documentary on Detroit earlier this year. No political angle, no preconceived notions .... I very highly recommend it. A must see for anyone interested in the history of the U.S. automotive industry or wanted a clear view into what Detroit was, is, and is becoming.

Here's the link to part 1 of 8 10-minute segments on YouTube.

A Requiem for Detroit?
Old 09-07-10, 12:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

He paid probably 50K or more for a new Denali (assuming, of course, it wasn't provided by the city as a mayoral perk), and didn't get a simple set of lock-nuts for the wheels?
Old 09-07-10, 12:54 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whoever stole the wheels must have sold them and got a house in Detroit. Very sad seeing the degradation of the city. From some study done a few years back, one of the few cities (not sure if just U.S. or in world) where the average price of a car is more than the average price of a house.