Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think?
I like the old look with "Lexus"
39.81%
I like the new lookn without the "Lexus"
34.95%
Don't care
11.65%
I need more time to think it over.
6.80%
I would prefer to see more badges and emblems
0%
Debadged ftw
6.80%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus taking the badges off 2011 models? What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 11:39 AM
LexFather

Default Lexus taking the badges off 2011 models? What do you think?

KillerGS4 started a thread informing us that some Lexus models no longer have the badge "Lexus" on the car. Just the "L" emblem and model name.

Seems it is the IS, GS, GX, LX per CL member caha14.

Here are new pics.

VS the old method

I prefer the new look, cleaner to me and everyone knows its a Lexus. BMW and Benz also do this, badges only and model number. There is no "Mercedes Benz" script for instance.

Contrarily many lesser known brands spell our their names in huge script so people will know what it is. Like I N F I N I T I. The last Acura Tl had "Acura" on the front bumper.

What do you think?

Old 09-01-10, 11:44 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the new look and think it's a wise decision. This day in age, people look at the badge before/more than anything else, and after 20 years I think people know that the circle L means Lexus.

I already removed "LEXUS" off my own car, so yeah...good idea, IMO.
Old 09-01-10, 11:46 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Did I miss the other thread? Was it in CarChat?

Anyways, I agree that its redundant information. No other prestigious luxury brand does it. However, it does add a balance to the trunk lid, lettering on each side. I can go for either.

lol why was the Rx, HS and LS the only ones left out?
Old 09-01-10, 11:50 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't care. I do care about dealerships that put their logo on my car - it looks like crap. I just paid a crapload of money for my car, and the last thing I want on it is your stupid dealership badge on my car. You want to advertise? Run a commercial, rent a billboard; just don't put it on my car!!

I haven't, and will not, buy from a dealership that does such a thing.
Old 09-01-10, 11:51 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The L and Lexus were overkill in the rear.

I think it's appropriate, and it saves a few bucks. Easier to clean too...
Old 09-01-10, 11:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

North America only ?
I think they still need the Lexus name spelled out on their cars in Europe, as they still need a lot more recognition there, and if they still care for that market LOL ...
I think it's cost saving too
Old 09-01-10, 11:54 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

New look ftw
Old 09-01-10, 11:56 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
However, it does add a balance to the trunk lid, lettering on each side.
I am fond of that balance, so I don't like the new look. Maybe it's just because I'm used to the old look, though.
Old 09-01-10, 11:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
I don't care. I do care about dealerships that put their logo on my car - it looks like crap. I just paid a crapload of money for my car, and the last thing I want on it is your stupid dealership badge on my car. You want to advertise? Run a commercial, rent a billboard; just don't put it on my car!!

I haven't, and will not, buy from a dealership that does such a thing.
None of the Lexus dealers here dare to put their logo on the cars they sold AFAIK ......
Old 09-01-10, 11:59 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I havent seen any Lexus dealership badges, but BMW insists on their albeit discrete sticker thing.

indeed the lexus badge has already been removed from the 2011 GS pictures

and if there was a model that didnt need it, it would be the RX...

side note, 2011 IS, GX and LX models are out on the website

Last edited by RXSF; 09-01-10 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-01-10, 12:05 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it just me or has the Lexus "L" logo gotten considerably larger over the years? I look at those pictures and it almost looks too big.

As for removing "Lexus". I do think it looks a little off balance now since the name isn't there to balance out the model. But I also think having both the logo and name is a little redundant. Anybody that cares about cars at all knows the Lexus logo. And if they don't, then they don't care anyway.
Old 09-01-10, 12:07 PM
LexFather

Agreed that I don't think they need it the brand is recognizable. Andrew Lexus actually is a very recognized brand in Europe and one of the most valuable and know brands worldwide. The problem is people in Europe still don't buy a Lexus.

Could it also be cost cutting? It could be. Probably saved a few million with less emblems. Though I know in the case of the GS, the trunk had holes in it for the badges so they had to retool the cast for the trunk.

Originally Posted by Threxx
Is it just me or has the Lexus "L" logo gotten considerably larger over the years? I look at those pictures and it almost looks too big.

As for removing "Lexus". I do think it looks a little off balance now since the name isn't there to balance out the model. But I also think having both the logo and name is a little redundant. Anybody that cares about cars at all knows the Lexus logo. And if they don't, then they don't care anyway.
Oh it has. At a meet we parked a 1/2/3 GS together and the emblem seemed 3 times as big along with the grill. Everyone is doing that trend though, even non luxury brands.

Old 09-01-10, 12:07 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
None of the Lexus dealers here dare to put their logo on the cars they sold AFAIK ......
Oh they do all over the place here. One of the largest Lexus dealers in Texas does (Sewell Lexus). Not to mention it is an actual badge, not just a sticker.
Old 09-01-10, 12:08 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh wow, I'm surprised to see this. Given that those are photochops, it's a bit unreal seeming.

From the design standpoint, this was hinted at since the GS/IS/ES debuts, where for the first time, the Circle-L was alone at the top of the trunk area, just like MB, BMW, etc. From the marketing view, the recent campaign has focused on the badge alone.

However the balance is missed. Maybe some owners will decide to add the Lexus badge back themselves. OTOH it does establish parity with the other Tier-1 brands.

That being said, the Lexus nameplate has a cool font, designed to work together and alone. I'm going to miss it.
Old 09-01-10, 12:24 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

personally, I think the only badge that needs to be there is the L emblem... does anyone really care what model number the car / truck is?

I took the SC400 off of my car completely - sure, some might think its a 300, some might not know at all, I don't care, honestly, I just like the way it looks - much cleaner...

Quick Reply: Lexus taking the badges off 2011 models? What do you think?