Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2011 Mercedes GLK

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-10, 06:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2011 Mercedes GLK

A Review of the 2011 Mercedes GLK.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-GLK

In a Nutshell: Better than what I expected....pleasant to drive, versatile, rock-solid construction, and (so far) reliable.

I had not planned on reviewing a new GLK today, but, as I passed by a local Mercedes shop, I noticed a row of them sitting out front. I remembered seeing a couple of them at the 2009 D.C. Auto Show, and being somewhat but not terribly impressed with the ones on display there. At the time, there were a number of derogatory comments from CL members about the GLK and its interior (I myself didn't think the dash was that bad at all, but the vinyl MB-Tex material on the seats was rather cheap). I don't remember getting any review requests at the time for a GLK. If I did, I don't have a record of them....so, if someone WAS waiting for a review, I apologize for the delay. Anyhow, for that, and for other reasons (I have looked at and driven many of the other Mercedes/Audi/BMW SUVs, but never got around to the GLK), I decided to rectify that today. So, I stopped by and checked one out. I also had some curiosity myself, since there were a few features I (already) liked on it more than some other German SUVs. And, of course, I'm still waiting for the CL-requested Lexus IS350AWD and Hyundai Equus to be released in the American market.....they have not shown up yet, so I wasn't taking time away from other reviews.

The GLK, in the American market, is considered the entry-level Mercedes SUV........the GL, ML, and military-derived G-Wagon (Gelandewanen). Some consider the R-Class to be an SUV.....I consider it more of a 2+2+2 wagon (like the discontinued Chrysler Pacifica) than a true SUV. It was introduced in 2009 as a competitor to the BMW X3 and the (then-also-new) Audi Q5. It also, of course, competes against similiar-sized/priced SUVs from Japan, America, and Korea. There is basically only one model line of the GLK, with no upper-level trim lines, although there are optional trim/equipment/appearance packages as opions. There is a choice of RWD or 4-Matic AWD (in most areas, I can't imagine buying an SUV without AWD (even if it doesn't snow, AWD helps out in rain, sand, mud, etc....). One engine is offered...a nicely-done (and rather potent) 3.5L V6, and one transmission...the ubiquitous (and well-known) Mercedes 7-speed automatic with manual Sport-shift. One thing that irks me is that the Bluetec diesel version available in Europe (and on larger Mercedes SUVs here) is not available on American market GLK's......IMO, a senseless and unneeded marketing restriction, especially since the Bluetec already meets EPA standards in the larger GL and ML.

Anyhow, I approached this review not only with an open mind (as I always try to do), but, of course, remembering the complaints I heard about this vehicle in the past. I wanted to see if those complaints (IMO) were justified, or if Mercedes had addressed some of them. Though I did find some negative features, overall (as I do with any vehicle), I came away quite impressed...more so than I expected. Mercedes products, of course, have had a number of years with well-below-average reliability (partially a result of the stern cost-cutting measures taken back in the 90's), but, according to Consumer Reports, in the last couple of years, that seems to be improving, too. The first-year CR reliability for the 2009 GLK was much-better-than-average....which we have not seen in a Mercedes product in quite some time. And, though I'll get into the details later, the 2011 CLK showed excellent quality and solid construction inside and out.

Base RWD models start out a little over 35K, but can run to 45K with AWD and options. Both RWD and AWD models seem to be readily in stock here in the D.C. area. For the review, I chose a black 4-Matic model with black MB-Tex/Burl-Walnut wood interior (though black is not a color I'd want). Though I would personally prefer a lighter color and the two-tone interior, I felt this specific vehicle (not necessarily color), with the equipment/options it had, was probably representative of what a majority of likely GLK buyers would choose, so I picked it. Details coming up.

Model Reviewed: 2011 Mercedes-Benz GLK 4Matic.

Base Price: $37,500

Options:

Heated Seats: $750

NAV/4UMI Package: $1290

Premium Package: $3200

Destination/Freight: $875

List Price as reviewed: $43,615

Drivetrain: Mercedes 4-Matic AWD, longitudionally-mounted 3.5L V6, 268 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque 258 ft-lbs. @ 2400-5000 RPM,
7-speed automatic transmission with manual Sport-shift.

Towing Capacity: 3500 lbs.

EPA Mileage Rating: 16 City, 23 Highway

Exterior Color: Black

Interior: Black M-B Tex with Burl-Walnut trim.

PLUSSES:

Promising reliablity (so far).

Standard Lifetime Roadside-Assistance program.

Numerous Mercedes-Benz safety features.

In generally good supply at dealerships.

European-delivery available, with a Euro-vacation.

Handsome (IMO) and versatile, conservative body style.

Smooth, torquey V6.

Smooth yet crisp 7-speed automatic transmission (but 7 gears may be overkill).

Fore/aft transmission shifter (except for side-stick) with no annoying zig-zags.

Fairly good ride comfort.

Flat cornering by SUV standards.

Good wind-noise control.

Fairly good road-noise control.

Fairly good ground clearance and approach/departure angles.

Strong body sheet metal.

Good rear visibility.

Generally dull but classy paint colors.

Superb interior/exterior herdware.

Nice dash/door-panel trim.

Good front/rear headroom.

Clear primary gauges (except for floating speedometer needle).

Nicely-padded dash surfaces.

Bargain-priced NAV package.

Premium-Package includes power-operated rear hatch lid, Sirius radio, and many other features.

Superbly-trimmed, roomy, versatile cargo area.

Standard First-Aid kit.

Traditionally snooty dealerships are now rapidly improving customer-relations.

MINUSES:

4/50 Bumper-to-Bumper/Powertrain warranty, by Premium-car standards, OK but could be improved.

Hefty price for a small SUV (but comparable to some competitors).

Bluetec Diesel version not available in America.

OK underhood layout but could be better.

Fairly slow steering response.

El Cheapo sun-visor material worse than in many ecomomy cars.

Uncomfortably sharp steering-wheel leather stitching.

NAV screen smaller than usual.

No oil dipstick under the hood (I don't trust oil-sensors).

Tight rear legroom.

Confusing turn-signal/cruise-control stalks.
(This is not the first time I've complained about that in Mercedes vehicles)

Outside mirrors OK but a little small.

Orange-peel paint job in some colors.

Metallic colors extra-cost, in the European tradition.

Deflated Temporary-spare tire and Fix-a-Flat bottle.

(Apparantly) no flip-open compartment on center console.

MB-Tex vinyl upholstery nicer than before, but leather (or cloth) should be standard.

Stereo controls more complex than necessary.

Stereo-sound OK but not killer-grade.

Very expensive parts/service/repairs, when not free or warranty.

EXTERIOR:

I'm a big fan of how Mercedes did the exterior. It has (IMO) a handsome, sensible, versatile, conservative design, without swept-back aero headlights/fenders, humpback-shaped roofs, up-swept beltlines, and peephole-rear windows. The square, efficient design also helps with cargo area and rear-vision.....more on that later. The grille and quad-headlights are especially handsome, with two chrome bars and the big Mercedes Tri-Star. A smaller Mercedes logo lies flat on the front edge of the hood. I would have preferred the traditional Mercedes stand-up hood ornament, but (perhaps?) Mercedes was catering to European pedestrian-impact standards, which can make hood ornaments difficult or expensive to do safely. The sheet metal quality was quite impressive, with the hood, doors, fenders, roof, and rear-hatch-lid all feeling super-strong. The doors, hood, and hatch-lid all closed with a strong, precise "thunk". The paint job, while OK, was clearly not up to the level of the sheet metal underneath it...or to Lexus/Audi standards. The white and lighter colors were done pretty well, but the Mars red and darker colors showed noticeable orange-peel. The colors themselves, though mostly dull (Mars Red was an exception, and fairly bright), were classy and dignified-looking. Unfortunately, in the European tradition, the metallic colors all cost extra.....Mercedes and some other automakers have persisted with this policy, even with customer complaints. The ground clearance looked good enough for some fairly deep snow/sand. The GLS is a car-based SUV and generally not designed for Mountain-Goat off-roading like a Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover, or Nissan XTerra, but, nevertheless, the approach/departure angles looked pretty good....the central break-over angle somewhat less so. The lower-body-sides both have chrome strips, but these appear to be done more for show than for real door-ding protection in parking lots....they are mounted too low and don't stick out any further than the fender-fairings above them (which WILL get dinged). 19", 10-spoke wlloy wheels and 225/50-19 tires are standard, with 20" wheels an option. The mirror-housings have strong, solid plastic, but don't swivel/lock as smoothly, slickly, or precisely as those from many Japanese-designed SUVs, particularly Honda/Acura. In the Mercedes tradition, they have integrated turn-signals (Mercedes, of course, having invented that feature). All of the exterior hardware felt solid, well-done, and securely-attached.

UNDERHOOD:

Open up the very strong, solid hood, and two strong hinges/spring-coils (instead of gas-struts or prop-rod) hold it up....that was common decades ago in the 60s and 70s, but is rarely seen any more on modern cars. Under the hood, of course, is a nice thick insulation pad. The basic underhood layout is OK, but could be improved. The longitudinally-mounted 3.5L Mercedes V6 fits in rather snugly, but with at least some room in front to reach components. Unfortunately, a big plastic engine cover blocks access to almost everything on top...those big covers seem to be a fixture with upmarket vehicles. Also unfortunate (IMO), like with other Mercedes products, is a lack of an oil dipstick....I simply don't trust electronic oil-sensors/monitors. The battery is in back, under the cargo-area floor. Reserviors and filler-caps can be reached OK. The whole underhood compartment, of course, is designed to crumple/fold back in a frontal-impact so as not to transmit the impact-force into the passenger compartment.....many vehicles nowadays have that feature, but Mercedes and Volvo, in their safety-oriented tradition, invented and perfected it.

INTERIOR:

The interior, IMO, was as well-done as the exterior......I don't agree with many of the negative comments I heard about it, at least the negative comments on the early-model GLKs. That's not to say that there weren't any faults, but I did not find much to complain about inside. My worst gripe, far and away, was with the way that Mercedes puts the turn-signal and cruise-control stalks on the left-side of the steering column. It is very easy to mix them up......every time I've test-drove a recent Mercedes product, I inevitably flip the cruise-stalk when I try and signal a turn or lane change (you'd think I would be used to it by now). But Mercedes is the only automaker I've seen who does this, so, in general, I'm NOT used to it. I also didn't care for the rather sharp and uncomfortable stitching/lacing used for the leather on the steering-wheel rim, but the leather on the rim itself was butter-smooth and comfortable. I'm nota fan of how Mercedes does the "floating-needle" in the speedometer (the center is used for other functions)...nothing necessarily wrong with it, but I find the effect a little awkward. The hard, El-Cheapo (and I DO mean CHEAP) sun-visor coverings would be embarassed by that in some economy cars. And a couple of very minor things.....the NAV system, at only $1290, is a relative bargain, but the screen in my test-car was rather small. There doesn't seem to be any pull-open, storage compartment on the center console like on most vehicles (there are cupholders, though).

But that's about it for the complaints. Almost everything else inside, IMO, is very well-done. I personally feel that a vehicle in this price range should have standard leather seats/upholstery, or at least nice cloth (even today's econoboxes have standard cloth), but Mercedes has done a nice job of making the standard vinyl MB-Tex look and feel like real leather (real leather, of course, is an option). I've complained in the past about MB-Tex interiors, but this one seems a noticeable improvement. the seats are not sports-car supportive, but reasonably comfortable..and their hardware supports are rock-solid. All functions, of course, are power-operated.....I think Mercedes has the best, most-intuitive power-seat controls in the industry, so much so that some other automakers have copied them. The stereo-sound is not Lexus-quality, but good enough, IMO, to avoid any complaints. But the adjustment-functions are a little more complex than necessary. The steering-column has both power tilt/telescope functions...not every vehicle in this class does. The headliner is a nice-feeling material (far better than on the adjacent sun-visors). The primary gauges, except for the floating-needle spedometer, are clear, simple, and well-done. All of the interior hardware (even the confusing column-stalks) are solid-feeling...this in contrast to (some) rather flimsy-feeling stalks in other German-designed vehicles. The chrome, brushed-metal, and wood-tone trim are all nicely-done and well-fitted....certainly, IMO, not deserving of some of the past complaints about it. The door panels have some hard-plastic panels, but also some very nice wood-tone and silver trim....and nice silver horizontal pull-bars (I prefer the vertical ones, but the horizontal ones work OK). Headroom is fine in both front and rear seats, but legroom is a little tight in back for tall persons.

So, all in all.....though there are a few faults in it, I don't think the CLK interior deserves the strong negative comments that some CL members gave it. I actually like the interior more than in some larger, more expensive Mercedes SUVs.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The cargo area is quite impressive in several ways. The cargo area is not long in length, but the tall, conservative roofline adds to cargo space and makes for a roomy area (one reason I like that kind of roofline). the deck-lid, with the Premium Package, is power-operated. The cargo area itself is superbly-trimmed, with nice, plush, soft-feeling carpeting on both the floor and walls. The rear seats, of course, fold flat for added space. A standard First-Aid kit (like with Lexus and BMW) is provided in a hole on the left-side-wall. A standard, detachable cargo-pull-shade to provide security is included......some automakers, because of cost-cutting, are eliminating this feature or making it an accessory. But there IS some cost-cutting under the trunk floor, where you find a plastic cargo-tray, and, below that, a deflated temorary-tire and a bottle of Fix-a-Flat compressed air....Mercedes doesn't fill the tire up at the factory.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the ubiquitous 3.5L Mercedes V6 with a dash-mounted, rectangular-shaped ignition hole and a matching fob/ignition module....twisting it like you would a regular key (I don't know why Mercedes didn't use an engine START/STOP button, as is now the norm in this vehicle class). The V6 comes to life smoothly and fairly quietly, with a low but audible exhaust-tone. Despite the engine's official 258 ft-lb. torque rating, which is not out of the ordinary for this class, it is no slouch. Give it some gas, and, despite the vehicle's weight and drag of the AWD system, it gives you a noticeable shove in the back. Mercedes quotes a 6.5-second 0-60 time, which is not bad for an non-turbo SUV of this class. Mercedes, at least in the American market, hasn't gotten around to doing an AMG version of the GLK, but the bread-and-butter model is off to a good start.

The 7-speed automatic, like in other Mercedes products, is smooth and quiet, yet crisp. It uses the same Side-Stick auto-shifter motion for manual-shifting that Chrysler products use, but, in the GLK, the shifter-action is much smoother and more precise-feeling (it has also been improved in the new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee). But the basic shifter motion is fore-and-aft, free from those annoying zig-zags (I wish DOT would outlaw those zig-zag shifters). I personally feel that anything more than 6 gears or so, like the 7 and 8-speed automatics used in some Lexus and Mercedes models (and the new 9-speed automtic Mercedes has proposed) is just overkill and unneeded, but I respect other opinions on that (and I know some CL members disagree).

The chassis/steering is quite well-done...Mercedes, lately, has been chasing BMW in that department. Steering response, with the standard 19" tires, is a little on the slow side (you won't be able to toss this vehicle through closely-set pylons with just a flick of your wrist), but handling is crisp and secure. with quite flat cornering by SUV standards. Steering feel is very smooth, weighted nicely, and almost reaches BMW-levels of communication between the front tires and your fingers. Wind-noise control is well-done. A small, but noticeable, amount of road noise is there, particularly on rough or porous roads. Brakes, in the German tradition, are smooth, fairly firm, and have only a slight amount of sponginess. The pedal is generally well-located, with only a small tendency for my big size-15 clown-shoes to catch the bottom of the brake pedal going from gas to brake.

THE VERDICT:

If I was to buy or lease any American-market Mercedes-Benz product as a daily driver, this is what I would (probably) choose. It combines the renowned Mercedes-Benz safety features with an (apparant) new-found overall quality not seen in Mercedes products for some years. Long-term reliability is still unknown, but the first year or two have been very promising, according to Consumer Reports. It's bolted together (at least when brand-new) like the Rock of Gibraltar from the factory, with an interior that doesn't have to apologize to any other vehicles in its class. It is generally pleasant to drive, with good road manners and civility. The 4Matic AWD, of course, gives it all-weather-capability. It is not cheap, but not outrageously expensive, especially by Mercedes standards. Depreciation is likely to be low, and trade-in or resale value good. It is roomy and space-efficient everywhere except back-seat legroom...and I don't usually carry anyone in back. Its gas mileage is not particularly good, but that, of course, is the result of weight, a V6, and AWD.

But there are definitely some things that the factory....and the marketers......have to deal with. First, get the Bluetec diesel version over here.....there is no practical reason why we can't get in in the U.S. Second, put the turn-signal and cruise-control stalks where drivers won't be constantly mixing them up. Third, toss those electronic sensors and put a real oil-dipstick back under the hood. Fourth, make the sun-visor material out of something that doesn't look or feel like dried stucco.......even the Kia Rio is laughing at it. Fifth, even though the MB-tex seat material is nicer than before, put real leather back in the seats (like much of the competition does) without making it an option.

But, all in all.....a good effort on Mercedes' part. I give this vehicle a solid recommendation.

And, as always, of course............Happy Car Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-31-10 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 07:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My findings about the GLK are very similar, as I have driven it extensively. I like the vehicle too, (realizing that many CL poster do not).

I think the discussion about steering feel is so subjective when compared to equivalent BMW SUVs, therefore meaningless. For those claim that they really want more steering feel and claim they would actually appreciate the difference, just get the optional 20's which I have driven and actually prefer. This is a premium AWD SUV (not the steering of a 911 or even the less responsive from a steering standpoint 335).

I don't place a superficial limit on number of forward gears either, that adds little value. 6/7/8 state of the art and reliable trannys are fine with me (and the Mercedes and Lexus 6/7/8 speed trannys are reliable, fuel-efficient, smooth, fast).

Reliability has been tracking well, like the current C-class it's derived from, a huge improvement over Benz's a few years back.

Last edited by IS-SV; 08-31-10 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
My findings about the GLK are very similar, as I have driven it extensively. I like the vehicle too, (realizing that many CL poster do not).
Did you rent one? How did you drive it "extensively"?

I think the discussion about steering feel is so subjective when compared to equivalent BMW SUVs, therefore meaningless. For those claim that they really want more steering feel and claim they would actually appreciate the difference, just get the optional 20's which I have driven and actually prefer. This is a premium SUV (not the steering of a 911 or even the less responsive from a steering standpoint 335).
Except for the somewhat slow initial response with some understeer, and the somewhat uncomfortable leather-stitching on the wheel-rim, I really wasn't complaining much about the steering system at all. It is nicely-weighted, has a just-enough-firm feeling and, though a slight-bit slow, the GLK is not meant to be a sports car. Though I didn't try them (I don't remember seeing any with that option) 20" wheels would (probably) up the steering response a little at (probably) a loss of ride comfort.

Reliability has been tracking well, like the current C-class it's derived from, a huge improvement over Benz's a few years back.
When I opened up my Consumer Reports' Auto Buying-Issue copy and checked the latest-reliability chart for the GLK (I always do that when writing a review), I almost fell out of my chair when I saw all those red circles, top-to-bottom. I haven't seen anything like that, from a M-B product, for years.
Old 08-31-10, 07:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^, My friend had a loaner all day, he threw me the keys while he was at work.

Agreed, steering is nice and competitive in this particular SUV class (where slow initial response and understeer is normal and expected). The 20's are a very popular option and are well-engineered into this specific vehicle. Obviously most people select them for the looks. The tires (like the Venza with 20's) aren't especially low profile by todays standards.

Yes, don't get too excited over the red circles with such limited sampling, in reality the reliability is no match for the typical Lexus (excluding recalls which are handled with great care by Lexus btw). But these newly engineered C-class and GLK products are way ahead of MB's in the early 2000's.
Old 08-31-10, 09:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next (planned) review, depending on availability......Hyundai Equus, Lexus IS350AWD, 2011 Ford Explorer, 2012 Ford Focus. I may (?) do some others in the meantime, as none of these have (yet) been released in the American market.
Old 09-01-10, 04:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Once again,great review,Mike.
I really like the exterior styling of the GLK.The interior,not so much.
Cost isn't bad.
Old 09-01-10, 06:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Once again,great review, Mike.
Thanks.

I really like the exterior styling of the GLK.
Agreed. I get tired of the same old, cookie-cutter aero-jelly-bean look, with swept-back everything. And square, conservative designs are (usually) more space-efficient inside.

The interior, not so much.
What do you dislike about it? Aside from poorly-located/confusing stalks and the disgustingly cheap sun-visor material, I found little to really complain abut inside. Yes, at 40K, it should have standard leather, but Mercedes (this time) has done a nice job making the MB-Tex imitate leather.

Cost isn't bad.
There is no such thing, in the American market, as a cheap Mercedes...discounting, of course, the Mercedes-designed Smart Car selling in the teens, and the now-discontinued C230 Kompressor coupe which sold in the 20s. The GLK isn't cheap (35-45K), but is chump change compared to some M-B products, which can run to almost 200K for top-level AMGs, and even 500K for the Mercedes McClaren.
Old 09-01-10, 08:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

What do you dislike about it? Aside from poorly-located/confusing stalks and the disgustingly cheap sun-visor material, I found little to really complain abut inside. Yes, at 40K, it should have standard leather, but Mercedes (this time) has done a nice job making the MB-Tex imitate leather.

There is no such thing, in the American market, as a cheap Mercedes...discounting, of course, the Mercedes-designed Smart Car selling in the teens, and the now-discontinued C230 Kompressor coupe which sold in the 20s. The GLK isn't cheap (35-45K), but is chump change compared to some M-B products, which can run to almost 200K for top-level AMGs, and even 500K for the Mercedes McClaren.

Steering wheel,RAV4/Camry type large dials at the console along with center a/c vents,too much wood,too many small buttons,vertical door switches....
Your test vehicle at $43K isn't bad but the list for me with my option choices would be just under $50K.
Old 09-01-10, 09:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Steering wheel,RAV4/Camry type large dials at the console along with center a/c vents,too much wood,too many small buttons,vertical door switches....
I guess we will just disagree on the wood.....I like a lot of it myself. It gives the interior a warm and distinguished look.

The big dials on the GLK, though, are slick-operating, good-quality, and securely-attached. The manual-A/C ***** in the present-generation Camry, sorry to say, look and feel like junk.....they actually wobble when you turn them.

Your test vehicle at $43K isn't bad but the list for me with my option choices would be just under $50K.
You've got to load up a GLK good to get it to that price.
Old 09-01-10, 09:16 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Now we have **** analysis of a Camry too.

Regardless, I'm waiting to see if the new X3 provides significant competition for the GLK and Q5, because the current version does not.
Old 09-01-10, 09:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I guess we will just disagree on the wood.....I like a lot of it myself. It gives the interior a warm and distinguished look.

The big dials on the GLK, though, are slick-operating, good-quality, and securely-attached. The manual-A/C ***** in the present-generation Camry, sorry to say, look and feel like junk.....they actually wobble when you turn them.

You've got to load up a GLK good to get it to that price.
I agree on the Camry/RAV4 dials.Just don't like the look of those dials in the GLK along with those tiny buttons.
I'd want these options...

320 Multimedia Package $3,350
P01 Premium 1 Package $3,150
318 Full Leather Seating Package $1,750
413 Panorama Sunroof $1,450
889 Keyless Go $1130
322 Appearance Package $970

List $49,725 Invoice $46,306
536 Sirius Satellite Radio $450
Old 09-01-10, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Now we have **** analysis of a Camry too.
Only in comparison to the much nicer ones in the GLK....and in the context that Joeb and I were discussing it. One of the areas Toyota has cost-cut in recent years is in the quality of some (not all) of their interior hardware/trim. The GLK, in contrast, seems to have done a good job.

Regardless, I'm waiting to see if the new X3 provides significant competition for the GLK and Q5, because the current version does not.
Why don't you think the current X3 is adequate competition? Because of the stiff ride and lower-than-average reliability record? Except for the somewhat stiffish ride (which has been softened up a little in the last couple of years) , I find it, like most BMWs, pleasant to drive.
Old 09-01-10, 09:51 AM
LexFather

Nice review Mike. As I've posted I find it to be an average at best vehicle riding it's badge merits to sell. I was very unimpressed. People seem to like it though as it sells best in class with the Q5 cute ute.

Old 09-01-10, 09:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Why don't you think the current X3 is adequate competition? Because of the stiff ride and lower-than-average reliability record? Except for the somewhat stiffish ride (which has been softened up a little in the last couple of years) , I find it, like most BMWs, pleasant to drive.
Ugly, poor ride, poor reliability, too small, outdated, cold interior, etc. But those are all subjective opinions of mine (and others at CL). Buyers have found other SUVs that are better and still pleasant to drive or in some cases more pleasant to drive.

The solid proof is the dismal sales of the current X3. It's really that simple.

Last edited by IS-SV; 09-01-10 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-01-10, 10:00 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had one as a loaner. I disliked it as the Merc NVH / road isolation wasnt there (compared to the sedans) but my wife loved it.

From a style viewpoint, the wheels are too large for the car. It looks like a puppy with oversized paws

Quick Reply: Review: 2011 Mercedes GLK