Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM mid sized sedans to only be offered with 4 cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 12:32 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
In your earlier post you made it sound like you believed EPA highway ratings were done at 80 mph steady. I was clarifying that they're not even though I realize it was an aside to your primary point.

The graphic you quoted above is their 'high speed' test which they added for 2008 and use to combine with the highway test I posted. So in all 20+ minutes of testing they might touch 80 for under 10 seconds or so and spend an odd amount of time at a complete stop.

IMO the EPA test should resemble the sort of highway driving done on a road trip. Instead, it's more like highway driving done in moderately congested urban rush hour traffic.
But my point is that the EPA factors in speeds, temperatures, and so on to encompass a wider breadth than the graphic that you posted.

But yes, I agree with your suggestion, a road trip style test would be the most helpful.

Originally Posted by Och
Yes, I'd rather have say a 2.5L V6 vs a 2.5L I4.

I think the IS250 vs Acura TSX make a very good case. Both are similar sized sedans, with similar power, similar displacement, and similar MPG, yet only one of them feels like a cheap 4 banger
I've never driven a TSX, but I would never buy an IS for the 2.5L V6. What a piece of junk. 0-60 in forever and thing struggles to hit 90 MPH.
Old 09-01-10, 12:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLegacy99

I've never driven a TSX, but I would never buy an IS for the 2.5L V6. What a piece of junk. 0-60 in forever and thing struggles to hit 90 MPH.
Speaking of taking forever and struggling, try a Subie 2.5 SOHC making 170 in those heavier sedans/wagons. The 2.5L V6 is a significantly quicker in the IS250.
Old 09-01-10, 01:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've never driven a TSX,
I did, and I was grossly disappointed.

but I would never buy an IS for the 2.5L V6. What a piece of junk. 0-60 in forever and thing struggles to hit 90 MPH.
Well your posts seem to be very efficiency minded, so it surprised me that you're concerned with 0-60 times

And if you're going to drive at 90mph often, what you want is a big V8 with tons of low end torque. It will be far more economical at that speed vs a smallish engine that needs to rev hard and struggle to maintain such speed.
Old 09-01-10, 01:16 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Well your posts seem to be very efficiency minded, so it surprised me that you're concerned with 0-60 times
You're right, I am very efficiency minded, but that doesn't mean that you can't have fun. The A4 is one of my favorite cars on the road today. You can have AWD, a 6MT and 30 Hwy miles to the gallon. I think that the TSFI S4 (which I have not driven) is far better than its predecessor. It's quicker and gained 8 miles to the gallon. Power and efficiency can go hand in hand via proper application.
Old 09-01-10, 01:17 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Speaking of taking forever and struggling, try a Subie 2.5 SOHC making 170 in those heavier sedans/wagons. The 2.5L V6 is a significantly quicker in the IS250.
Ok? And the Shuttle Endeavor is much faster than the Saturn V.

The comparison you made makes absolutely no sense.
Old 09-01-10, 01:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

You're right, I am very efficiency minded, but that doesn't mean that you can't have fun. The A4 is one of my favorite cars on the road today. You can have AWD, a 6MT and 30 Hwy miles to the gallon. I think that the TSFI S4 (which I have not driven) is far better than its predecessor. It's quicker and gained 8 miles to the gallon. Power and efficiency can go hand in hand via proper application.
Any modern V8 sedan easily gets you 30mpg or more on the highway.

Under hard acceleration most engines will probably return similar efficiency as well. Lets say you're at WOT 0-60 in a V8 that does it in 4 seconds at used 10mpg vs a 4cyl that does it in 8 seconds and used 20mpg, by the time you reach 60, you both used the same amount of fuel.

The only time in real world when a small engine saves you fuel is in stop and go city driving.
Old 09-01-10, 01:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I've rented numerous Subaru's, all four cylinders, and they seem to cope just fine? No different than your typical CamCordTima.
Old 09-01-10, 01:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I've rented numerous Subaru's, all four cylinders, and they seem to cope just fine? No different than your typical CamCordTima.
Coping is fine, if you don't mind the droning. Agreed, the CamCordTima are no ***** of fire.

The Legacy/Outback 2.5L SOHC 170hp engine is much slower than the IS250 in reality and not nearly as refined from the standpoint of the engine (which is V6 car you mentioned above).

Last edited by IS-SV; 09-01-10 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-01-10, 01:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Coping is fine, if you don't mind the droning. Agreed, the CamCordTima are no ***** of fire.

The Legacy/Outback 2.5L SOHC 170hp engine is much slower than the IS250 in reality and not nearly as refined from the standpoint of the engine (which is V6 car you mentioned above).
I agree with that, and neither is any other 4 cylinder. Thats why I previously mentioned IS250 and TSX, which are direct competitors, with most characteristics on paper fairly even. But in reality, the IS250 is far more pleasurable to drive just because of the engine alone.
Old 09-01-10, 02:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I agree with that, and neither is any other 4 cylinder. Thats why I previously mentioned IS250 and TSX, which are direct competitors, with most characteristics on paper fairly even. But in reality, the IS250 is far more pleasurable to drive just because of the engine alone.
Good example, the EPA gas mileage is nearly identical (with the TSX only rated for 1mpg better on the highway, for reasons none of us will know for sure).
Old 09-01-10, 02:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

I think the IS250 vs Acura TSX make a very good case. Both are similar sized sedans, with similar power, similar displacement, and similar MPG, yet only one of them feels like a cheap 4 banger
having driven both, while the IS is 'fun', i prefer the TSX because it's WAY more USEFUL. trunk is much bigger and rear seat folds down AND it has much more rear seat room. on the highway it's smooth and quiet although has more road noise than the lexus. and even the base model has voice recognition that works very well.
Old 09-01-10, 03:42 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

You are comparing a family sedan/wagon to a smaller, luxury sedan with a direct injected engine. THIS COMPARISON MAKES ABSOLUTELY ZERO SENSE. I get it. You are offended that I don't care for the IS. But since you insist, let's make it a little more relavent to the conversation. Afterall, we are talking about turbos here.

The 2.5L H4 2010 Legacy GT does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds and the quarter mile in 14.3 seconds. Compare that to the 2.5 V6 2010 Lexus IS HIT 60 MPH in 7.4 seconds and did the quarter mile in 15.5 seconds. This is one turbo vehicle that the IS can't touch. Now in reality, the IS 350 AWD is on par with the Legacy GT, not the IS 250. But as we have no data I can't speak to that other than yet to be DIed 2.5L in the Legacy GT is good for 18/25 according to our friends at the EPA, whereas the DIed RWD IS 350 is only good for 18/25 itself, thus I am not expecting the AWD variant if the 350 to be any more efficient, but rather less so.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/up...-2.5gt-limited

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...e-sport-sedans
Old 09-01-10, 03:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

You are comparing a family sedan/wagon to a smaller, luxury sedan with a direct injected engine. THIS COMPARISON MAKES ABSOLUTELY ZERO SENSE. I get it. You are offended that I don't care for the IS. But since you insist, let's make it a little more relavent to the conversation. Afterall, we are talking about turbos here.
You were the one that first brought up the slowish IS250 2.5L, not me. So I just brought up the slowish normally aspirated example of a 2.5L 4 banger. I was discussing engines (4 vs 6 of same displacement, normally aspirated)

Who knows, who cares. Nobody is offended. No need to be relavent to suit you.

Note: Topic is GM mid-sized sedans to be offered only with 4 cylinder engines.
And my response to OP's topic, needs to be very good 4 cylinder engines.
Old 09-01-10, 04:02 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

The 4 cylinder TSX is quicker then the IS250 and it has a decent rear seat. I test drove a TSX also and the engine was smooth with good power and did not feel like a cheap 4 banger. Honda is one of the few manufactures that makes a really good 4 cylinder and gets 200hp or more on several models without FI.

Did you try the manual TSX, it is a really satisfying sporty car to drive although the steering is not as communicative as the previous model.

Before it gets too far off topic I think we all agree GM really needs to step it up in the 4 cylinder department if they are going to only offer 4 cylinders for small to mid sized sedans in the near future. The turbo engine in the Solstice/Sky put out good power but it was also pretty rough, noisy, and had reliability issues.
Old 09-01-10, 04:05 PM
LexFather

Everyone relax. Slegacy You are comparing a turbo to a N/A car.

What OCh and IS-SV are saying is simple. They and myself prefer the quietness and smoothness of the 2.5 V-6 in the IS 250 to the 2.4 I-4 in the TSX which is buzzier and needs to rev to make power. Neither is a fast car and that is not their objective. Oddly the IS with the same cylinders and I believe near equal weight has pretty much the same MPG as the TSX I-4.

Not here to argue which car is better than the other, I much prefer the RWD IS for multiple reasons but the TSX is a solid car as well.

Originally Posted by UDel
The 4 cylinder TSX is quicker then the IS250 and it has a decent rear seat. I test drove a TSX also and the engine was smooth with good power and did not feel like a cheap 4 banger. Honda is one of the few manufactures that makes a really good 4 cylinder and gets 200hp or more on several models without FI.

Did you try the manual TSX, it is a really satisfying sporty car to drive although the steering is not as communicative as the previous model.

Before it gets too far off topic I think we all agree GM really needs to step it up in the 4 cylinder department if they are going to only offer 4 cylinders for small to mid sized sedans in the near future. The turbo engine in the Solstice/Sky put out good power but it was also pretty rough, noisy, and had reliability issues.

We are not comparing the IS to the TSX.
We are talking about a V-6 and an I-4 with near power and MPG and why some prefer the V-6 to the I-4 and vice versa. This thread is about engines.

If anyone wants to compare car vs car please start another thread.

Quick Reply: GM mid sized sedans to only be offered with 4 cylinders