Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM mid sized sedans to only be offered with 4 cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-10, 06:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
A non sport oriented car the size of the Malibu or Regal packing 220hp and a healthy 258tq is plenty... especially if it comes at the benefit of better fuel economy.

I mean seriously... if the above cars can do 0-60 in, let's say, 6.8 seconds... does it really need to be any quicker?
I'd take a slower modern V6 over a faster turbo four in a hearbeat.
Old 08-31-10, 06:46 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In owning a turbo 335i and turbo Audi A4 I'm a big believer in turbos delivering the equivalent power of 2 more cylinders without the fuel economy penalty.

My A4 especially got great fuel economy.
Old 08-31-10, 06:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

In owning a turbo 335i and turbo Audi A4 I'm a big believer in turbos delivering the equivalent power of 2 more cylinders without the fuel economy penalty.

My A4 especially got great fuel economy.
My wife barely gets 12.7 - 12.9mpg in the 335.
Old 08-31-10, 07:57 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Like Mike said, these are just ratings. Real world driving is a whole other story.
Well the EPA sets a standard of testing and with highway testing at 80 MPH I would say that it pretty strict. Thus the standard says that the turbo 4 is significantly more efficient than the V6s that I listed. Find someone to test these vehicles in an objective manner, another way and I would be glad to see the results. Until then this is the only standard and that is what I will go by.
Old 08-31-10, 08:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Well the EPA sets a standard of testing and with highway testing at 80 MPH I would say that it pretty strict. Thus the standard says that the turbo 4 is significantly more efficient than the V6s that I listed. Find someone to test these vehicles in an objective manner, another way and I would be glad to see the results. Until then this is the only standard and that is what I will go by.
Well, its just that - a standard, but from my experience it doesn't have much relevance to real life driving. Of course with a turbo four you can feather the throttle and never hit the boost, but then might as well get NA four. If you're going to drive aggressively, you will get better economy in NA V6.
Old 08-31-10, 08:25 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
If you're going to drive aggressively, you will get better economy in NA V6.
I don't agree.
Old 08-31-10, 09:38 PM
LexFather

I thought of this thread. I just averaged 30.2 MPG going 55-65 on the highway and mostly 45 city. 70/30 Highway City. With 340hp, with luxury and heavy to boot. This was around a 60 mile trip.

Unless these 4 cylinders are getting over 40MPG I just don't get it.

Old 08-31-10, 10:18 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They need to be really good 4 bangers if no 6's are to be offered.
Old 09-01-10, 05:42 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

The government puppet masters might not be the driving force behind this decision. GM has been saying for several years that their goal is to drop their OHC V8 development from their higher end cars and replace them with turbo 6 engines. This might be a carry over from that philosophy.

Here's another kind of off the wall consideration. Maybe GM sees the near future of all cars as electric vehicles powered by gasoline generators... much like the Volt. In that case they see 4 cylinder engines as the future, since there's no need for a V6 in a car with the Volt's powertrain design. I know that's unlikely, but just a thought.

Originally Posted by Och
Something is extremely wrong with your 335i or else your wife likes to cruise around all day in 2nd gear with the parking brake applied.

I had some tanks w/ my 335i where I drove extremely aggressively. I mean like literally taking it to an SCCA race track for half the tank and driving very aggressively on the other half. The worst I managed to get even under that circumstance was 16. Typical for me in the city was 22 with a heavy foot. At a steady 55 mph it would actually pull a 36 mpg average according to the economy gauge (which was usually accurate), and at 80 w/ the A/C would get 28 (verified by my own math at the pump). Not bad for a car that runs low/mid 13s in the 1/4-mile.

The EPA doesn't come remotely close to touching 80 with their highway test. Really, their testing method is still nothing close to representing a highway road trip or anything of that sort. I hope their new 2012 standards might fix that.

Here's their highway test cycle:

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I thought of this thread. I just averaged 30.2 MPG going 55-65 on the highway and mostly 45 city. 70/30 Highway City. With 340hp, with luxury and heavy to boot. This was around a 60 mile trip.

Unless these 4 cylinders are getting over 40MPG I just don't get it.
You're also in a hybrid car. Any existing powertrain can be converted to a hybrid powertrain. So if a turbo 4 makes x power and x mpg then a turbo 4 hybrid would make x + y power and get x + y mpg. It'd be that much better.
Old 09-01-10, 05:59 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The EPA doesn't come remotely close to touching 80 with their highway test. Really, their testing method is still nothing close to representing a highway road trip or anything of that sort. I hope their new 2012 standards might fix that.

Here's their highway test cycle:
But the city, hwy, A/C, high speed tests, etc. are all factored together to come up with a rating.

Nevertheless, I reiterate, the EPA has set the standard whether you agree with it or not it is a measure that dictates equal testing (supposedly) for which all automakers have to comply with.
Old 09-01-10, 07:10 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Slegacy, I used to think the same about the EPA standard, but I realized that EPA testing only means something when you're comparing similar cars with similar engines. Otherwise, two cars with similar weight and similar displacement motor with same number of cylinders.

When you start comparing different cars, with different motors, especially with all the new tech available now - such as hybrid, turbo, and diesels, it just doesnt reflect real life results.

Furthermore, automakers tune their cars specifically for the EPA test, which is not necessarily great for real world efficiency.
Old 09-01-10, 07:52 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

But the city, hwy, A/C, high speed tests, etc. are all factored together to come up with a rating.

In your earlier post you made it sound like you believed EPA highway ratings were done at 80 mph steady. I was clarifying that they're not even though I realize it was an aside to your primary point.

The graphic you quoted above is their 'high speed' test which they added for 2008 and use to combine with the highway test I posted. So in all 20+ minutes of testing they might touch 80 for under 10 seconds or so and spend an odd amount of time at a complete stop.

IMO the EPA test should resemble the sort of highway driving done on a road trip. Instead, it's more like highway driving done in moderately congested urban rush hour traffic.
Old 09-01-10, 07:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
she must have a lead foot or be a very nervous driver (gas/brake/gas/brake) or drive in a lot of traffic, or all of the above.
Old 09-01-10, 07:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
she must have a lead foot or be a very nervous driver (gas/brake/gas/brake) or drive in a lot of traffic, or all of the above.
Not really, just most of her trips are very short 1-2 miles on average. The car barely sees any highway.
Old 09-01-10, 08:06 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Not really, just most of her trips are very short 1-2 miles on average. The car barely sees any highway.
That could be the cause as well. Cars are far less efficient when cold... and it sounds like your wife's car never even gets a chance to warm up during her trips.

I think you know as well as I do that your wife's fuel economy is not realistically indicative of the general efficiency of turbo 6 cylinder vehicles.

Quick Reply: GM mid sized sedans to only be offered with 4 cylinders