Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

After closer scrutiny I actually like the Saab 9-5

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 09:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Just like a Hyundai/Kia
You and I both know, though, that Hyundai/Kia depreciation is probably more than their quality level and attractiveness actually merits. Because of their old (1990's) outdated reputation for being lemons, many potential used-car buyers, still living in the past, are afraid to invest in them, driving down their value.

With Saab, it's not necessarily the same problem.......people just aren't buying them in large numbers as NEW cars, so there aren't that many used ones on the market.
Old 08-27-10, 10:02 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Give it at least a year or two to address any (possible) teething problems. Though the last 9-5 (and, of course, the Subaru-built 9-2X) were fairly reliable, Saab is not known for being able to bring out reliable models in their first-year.
Yes, I'm aware of the reliability problems past and present, certainly not impressive. I won't be waiting to see how the reliability pans out.

Most (actual) premium car buyers (including me) will not select a Saab when dropping chunks of car money due to mediocre design(s), performance, technology, styling, resale value combined with the poor reliability/quality. As I mentioned earlier, my money's not touching it.

I do find the recent versions to be somewhat interesting from an enthusiasts standpoint only.
Old 08-27-10, 10:44 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, I'm aware of the reliability problems past and present, certainly not impressive. I won't be waiting to see how the reliability pans out.

Most (actual) premium car buyers (including me) will not select a Saab when dropping chunks of car money due to mediocre design(s), performance, technology, styling, resale value combined with the poor reliability/quality. As I mentioned earlier, my money's not touching it.

I do find the recent versions to be somewhat interesting from an enthusiasts standpoint only.
I have to admit that I share many of these reservations about ever owning a Saab. That's why I kept my comments strictly to styling.
Old 08-27-10, 11:13 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You and I both know, though, that Hyundai/Kia depreciation is probably more than their quality level and attractiveness actually merits. Because of their old (1990's) outdated reputation for being lemons, many potential used-car buyers, still living in the past, are afraid to invest in them, driving down their value.

With Saab, it's not necessarily the same problem.......people just aren't buying them in large numbers as NEW cars, so there aren't that many used ones on the market.
...and reliability and quality is what is going to live in peoples' minds as long as Hyundai/Kia is still the brand-name; brand recognition is everything these days. Unfortunately, the law of primacy takes effect in consumers mind; even more-so when you're spending tens of thousands of dollars.

As for the Saab, I like it as compared to other Saabs. As compared to other cars, not so much; and that interior is just atrocious.
Old 08-27-10, 12:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Most (actual) premium car buyers (including me)
And me. I'll buy a "premium" car if I like it enough and the price is reasonable. I owned a new Lexus IS300 for almost 5 years.....that's how I joined CL.
Old 08-27-10, 01:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

And me. I'll buy a "premium" car if I like it enough and the price is reasonable. I owned a new Lexus IS300 for almost 5 years.....that's how I joined CL.
Yes with a rear view perspective, but it was never clear to all that the first IS300 was a premium car, but everybody agreed it was a nice attempt.

But my point with my above post was that regular premium car buyers (even if they have more disposable income on average) often are educated and careful with money and are unwilling to pay premium car prices for marginal so called premium cars such as Saabs. The non-monetary reasons I listed above plus the financially-oriented reasons (poor reliability/poor quality/poor resale value/so-so customer service/dwindling dealer network) are important to these buyers.

Last edited by IS-SV; 08-27-10 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-27-10, 06:45 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Dash looks very dated and ugly to me ......, the exterior is just OK ......
Old 08-27-10, 08:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
I have to admit that I share many of these reservations about ever owning a Saab. That's why I kept my comments strictly to styling.
While I don't want to see ANOTHER auto company to fail I don't see many buying this. For one its not class leading in anything and two the competition is too good and three there is no confidence in the brand.

I know of one person personally that bought a new Saab in maybe 10-15 years.

Old 08-27-10, 08:58 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I liked the look of the old Saabs and the last gen 9-5 looks pretty good with some mods. This one doesn't quite do it for me, they have their characteristic front but the back seems misplaced from prior styling.
Old 08-28-10, 02:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
Probably a good idea to focus on the styling, which is refreshing and unique.

The reality is that premium car buyers who are careful with money shop at dealerships other than Saab.
Old 08-28-10, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
While I don't want to see ANOTHER auto company to fail I don't see many buying this. For one its not class leading in anything and two the competition is too good and three there is no confidence in the brand.

I know of one person personally that bought a new Saab in maybe 10-15 years.
Same here.....I know few, if any, myself. Part of the problem with Saab is just what you and I have discussed before about Suzuki and Mitsubishi....a notable lack of dealerships. Even in the car/dealer-rich D.C. area, there are only a couple within reasonable driving distance from my place. You can't sell vehicles without outlets.
Old 08-29-10, 09:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Only a couple of Saab dealerships near center of import-rich Silicon Valley to support declining interest in these cars.

I know exactly zero people that currently own a Saab.
Old 08-29-10, 09:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Only a couple of Saab dealerships near center of import-rich Silicon Valley to support declining interest in these cars.

I know exactly zero people that currently own a Saab.
Same here in cars-of-all-types rich Chicago. The nearest dealer to me is a combo Cadillac-Buick-GMC-Saab store.

I just remembered, there is a small Saab only dealership not too from me (Flikkema Saab). It's been there for years and I don't know how they stay in business with just one brand like that.

Last edited by LexBob2; 08-29-10 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-29-10, 11:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Same here in cars-of-all-types rich Chicago. The nearest dealer to me is a combo Cadillac-Buick-GMC-Saab store.

I just remembered, there is a small Saab only dealership not too from me (Flikkema Saab). It's been there for years and I don't know how they stay in business with just one brand like that.
Yeah the one I know of is also a combo dealer like you said and its very small, even smaller than the tiny Audi dealers.

Old 08-29-10, 12:36 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's about as unflattering as lighting and angle can possibly get for a car interior shot.

With that said I'm not sure what to think. I like the gauge cluster and steering wheel and seats. The center stack is a little too industrial for me. I guess it's the 'fighter jet' thing. The same thing I don't like about the Nissan GT-R's center stack.

Exterior is unique and decent looking but almost looks a little like the designers were somewhat emulating Chrysler's 'classic gangster' design, but in Euro interpretation.

For 50 grand I'd give it a test drive but I'm pretty sure my money would be heading elsewhere.

Speaking of Saab.. the last remaining Saturn dealer in the Memphis area is talking about taking them up as a brand and selling Saab exclusively from their location since there aren't any dedicated Saab dealers around here. We have one but it also sells Caddy and it's not really in the city anyway.

I *think* that might enable them to continue to do GM warranty work on Saturn vehicles even though Saab isn't really GM now.

Quick Reply: After closer scrutiny I actually like the Saab 9-5