Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I have my Genesis, GREAT car

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 07:51 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Genesis is definitely up there in quality with the GS. For the money, you can't beat it. You bought it, so you obviously don't care that it's a Hyundai... but it's not badged as one, so you're good with those that don't know.

I think the Genesis will be Hyundai's final luxury stand, until they finally spin off a luxury divison in another six to ten years. I can't see them cracking the upper levels of luxury with the Equus.

You'll enjoy the Genesis way beyond 50K, you'll go to 100K fine. The $10K+ saving over the GS will be more than enough to pay for any repairs that might crop up.
Old 08-26-10, 09:09 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post. I'm wondering about the same thing, especailly after skimming through the age/income thread

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

Once again, why do we talk about Hyundai so much over here???

For those of you that don't spend time on the other Tier 1 brand forums....they tend to talk about Porsche, AM, the other Tier 1 brands....Hyundai and Honda aren't hot topics. Are many ClubLexus members looking to make the move to Hyundai?
Old 08-26-10, 09:32 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In May, 2009, I purchased a Genesis (3.8 L V-6). It replaced a 1993 Lexus LS 400 that I had owned since 1998.

The Genesis has been completely trouble free, and it has not been back to the dealer for anything (I do my own maintenance). My MPG average is usually in the area of 25-26, and it uses regular gas. The ride is smooth, and the handling is excellent (far better than the LS, albeit the LS was a 93 model). The sound system is excellent.

I have owned Lexus vehicles since 1994 and still own a 94 ES. Lexus vehicles are great, but they are not perfect. My LS had the power steering valve problem, the trunk hinge issue, and the malfunctioning driver display (failing to illuminate in cold weather). These were all factory flaws in these cars that should have been addressed by Lexus, but they were not. (The Lexus fix for the dark display was a new display for $1,200 when the problem could be fixed with a few $5.00 capacitors.) The ES has had the sticking AC expansion valve problem which is very common in these cars. This is a $700 repair at a Lexus dealership.

The fact that the Genesis is a Hyundai does not bother me at all. I have not done any rebadging. When I bought the car, I was looking for a well made vehicle that drove well and was attractively priced. As I recall, that was the target for the early Lexus models; however, as time has passed, they have gotten bigger, heavier, and more expensive. If a car buyer wants to pay the price for the "classiness" that the Lexus name carries, they certainly should go ahead and buy one. Obviously, that was not my attitude.
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the chatter Hyundai has created over the past few years only validates how far they have truly come along.

Congrats OP on the purchase. It's a great bang for buck. Sometimes it's all about the bottom line. You could purchase the Genesis throw wheels and a drop on it, and still buy back your old 2GS for the price of a new GS. Go figure.
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

quite a handful of brand snobs here, myself included.

but i know hyundais are built as solid as toyota these days.

i just refuse to spend over $25k on one, just as i wouldn't buy a fully loaded Avalon.

If Lexus doesn't fark up the 4GS, maybe you'll be trading in your genesis for it.
Old 08-26-10, 10:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Congrats!! While a nice car overall, I am not a fan of the Genesis for many reasons. And I think a comparison to the GS is a little unfair, being that model dates back to the end of 2005. When the new GS debuts next year, we should reintroduce this thread.
Enjoy your new car!
Old 08-26-10, 10:41 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hasn't Car and Driver doing a comparsion and driving the Genesis for 50,000 miles or something?

Also when you have time take some pictures of your new Car
Old 08-27-10, 12:13 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CUMan
If a car buyer wants to pay the price for the "classiness" that the Lexus name carries, they certainly should go ahead and buy one. Obviously, that was not my attitude.
There's a lot of insecure guys out there that need a badge to feel better about themselves. Kudos for not thinking that way. I didn't care when I bought a LS in 1989 that people said was an "overpriced Toyota" and I won't care if I bought a Hyundai today. What matters most is what you get and not how fancy the customer waiting room is. When I grew up, "Made in Japan" was an insult, much like "Made in China" is today. But times change and I think Hyundai is forcing people to rethink what luxury is.
Old 08-27-10, 12:28 AM
Mercurycn
Driver School Candidate

Please share some pictures of your car!
Old 08-27-10, 03:55 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by adam8065
Hasn't Car and Driver doing a comparsion and driving the Genesis for 50,000 miles or something?
100,000 miles. There's a big thread about it here in fact.

Originally Posted by madoka
There's a lot of insecure guys out there that need a badge to feel better about themselves. Kudos for not thinking that way. I didn't care when I bought a LS in 1989 that people said was an "overpriced Toyota" and I won't care if I bought a Hyundai today. What matters most is what you get and not how fancy the customer waiting room is. When I grew up, "Made in Japan" was an insult, much like "Made in China" is today. But times change and I think Hyundai is forcing people to rethink what luxury is.
Well said.
Old 08-27-10, 05:12 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Congrats!! While a nice car overall, I am not a fan of the Genesis for many reasons. And I think a comparison to the GS is a little unfair, being that model dates back to the end of 2005. When the new GS debuts next year, we should reintroduce this thread.
Enjoy your new car!
Just because a model is newer does not make it better. My 99 GS300 was a much better car than the 2007 GS350. Lexus really screwed the GS model with the 3rd generation. My Genesis is also a better car than the 99 GS300.

Last edited by Cut-Throat; 08-27-10 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-27-10, 05:21 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Just because a model is newer does not make it better. My 99 GS300 was a much better car than the 2007 GS350. Lexus really screwed the GS model with the 3rd generation. My Genesis is also better car than the 99 GS300.
I'll agree on the GS.I bought a new '08 GS350 AWD and hated it and dumped it in less than a year.
Old 08-27-10, 05:39 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Thanks Man! - I did get the V8 - Titanium Gray. The only thing that I am doing to the car is rebadging the rear end. Removing the 'flying H' and replacing it with the 'Genesis Wings' - (Keeps people guessing) and I am getting an after market grill. Honeycombed with 'Genesis Wings' - Ala the Bentley. I'll post pictures when I get the grill done...
Neighbor has EXACT same... sharp car!!!
Old 08-27-10, 09:40 AM
JKN2000
Driver

I like the Genesis! The refinements of the car and price was an almost sell to me however, I really wanted a long wheel base car, so I went for an LS460L. Otherwise, it would of been the Genesis. All and all the Genesis I thought was really nice!

On a sidenote, perhaps, the Genesis should of been built on a different flagship name. Like Toyota to Lexus. Hyundai might need to have an "upscaled" brand like they did with Toyota. That might help promote the luxury brand and sells for Hyundai.

You are right about the 3rd gen GS. I liked my 99 GS whole much better prior to getting the LS.
Old 08-27-10, 10:11 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting point about the Hyundai dealerships, my last visit to VW/Hundai dealer was not very pleasant.

Quick Reply: I have my Genesis, GREAT car