Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I have my Genesis, GREAT car

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 01:56 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I live in 1997.
Old 08-26-10, 02:02 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I live in 1997.
Based on many perceptions of Hyundai, you're not alone.
Old 08-26-10, 02:15 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Congrats on your Car.

I have been checking on the Genesis. They are pretty cool looking.

I imagine they are trying very hard to match the Lexus level of toys/refinement.

There is certainly a lack of Street Cred with the car right now.

But I think that if they produce a product that impresses and converts folks like your self then its only a matter of time.

I also was pretty unimpressed with my time in the new gen GS. For the price it was just asking me to overlook far to much.

Sounds like your happy with the Hyundai. And from what I can see your one of the ONLY people who actually OWNS/Drives both cars.

Therefore your analysis holds more weight than most.

Enjoy, and drive the heck out of it.
Old 08-26-10, 02:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Nice move on the car man. I saw a white Genesis yesterday and I kept thinking about how nice it looks stock. The thing would look insane dropped on a set of 21" wheels. I agree that I do feel like the Lexus is a lot of money for not really any more car. The rest of the money goes towards perception in some of these cases.
Old 08-26-10, 02:30 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Nice move on the car man. I saw a white Genesis yesterday and I kept thinking about how nice it looks stock. The thing would look insane dropped on a set of 21" wheels. I agree that I do feel like the Lexus is a lot of money for not really any more car. The rest of the money goes towards perception in some of these cases.
Thanks Man! - I did get the V8 - Titanium Gray. The only thing that I am doing to the car is rebadging the rear end. Removing the 'flying H' and replacing it with the 'Genesis Wings' - (Keeps people guessing) and I am getting an after market grill. Honeycombed with 'Genesis Wings' - Ala the Bentley. I'll post pictures when I get the grill done.

Actually this car reminds me a lot of my 99 GS300 (Which I loved) . They shrunk the hell out of the GS with the 3rd Generation.
Old 08-26-10, 02:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I have to agree that I am getting frustrated with my crap trunk on my GS. I have a daughter and need more room. Every sedan I see including my ES loaners have a huge trunk. I need more room and have been thinking of a Venza ( step down from Lexus ) but the interior fit and finish on the dash in notoriously bad ( for those who actually spend time on Venza forums). I am wondering about getting a larger sedan with a trunk. I will look at the Genesis as well as some used S class Benzs. I need back seat room to fit 2 baby seats in the future. The trunk is important. I am still trying to figure out if I can live with a Toyota.

Thank you for posting this experience. I think more of us that we would like to admit are finding that the GS could be better in so many ways. If Hyundai makes a better or equal product for less money then they will do well........just like Lexus. Seems like Hyundai can outlexus lexus
Old 08-26-10, 02:40 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

There are a large variety of cars available for purchase because there exisits a demand for each thing that each car is good at.

If you place a higher value on ... what ever it is the Hyundai (or how ever you spell it) is good at, then you should purchase that, as you did; while those of us that place value on well made luxury products that we can hold on to for many years will purchase something else.

Congratz on the purchase of the car that satisfies your demands.
Old 08-26-10, 02:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
There are a large variety of cars available for purchase because there exisits a demand for each thing that each car is good at.

If you place a higher value on ... what ever it is the Hyundai (or how ever you spell it) is good at, then you should purchase that, as you did; while those of us that place value on well made luxury products that we can hold on to for many years will purchase something else.

Congratz on the purchase of the car that satisfies your demands.
with all due respect you are assuming that he doesnt care about "well made luxury products" or that Hyundai doesnt produce them. I think the point of this thread is let us know that its not only equal but better. So for those of us who want "well made luxury products" we should check Hyundai as well. I see where you are coming from but just like toyota changed perceptions of their random *** Lexus brand that popped in the late 80's Hyundai deserves the same respect and interest when they are producing cars that are very competitive in their segenst. we should all remember that Hyundai is trying to enter a new market they have never been in with very competitive products that out perform the competiton. Just like many Mercedes and BMW owners ate their words, I think many of us will be stuffed with words in 5 years. Give Hyundai the same respect and expectations as Lexus back in the day. It obvious that they are right on track
Old 08-26-10, 02:48 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a 1 year old genny sedan can be had for pretty good prices right now, add the already equiped factory warranty and trading in an GS with almost expired warranty period would make a lot of sense.

I have to agree that I am getting frustrated with my crap trunk on my GS. I have a daughter and need more room. Every sedan I see including my ES loaners have a huge trunk. I need more room and have been thinking of a Venza ( step down from Lexus ) but the interior fit and finish on the dash in notoriously bad ( for those who actually spend time on Venza forums). I am wondering about getting a larger sedan with a trunk. I will look at the Genesis as well as some used S class Benzs. I need back seat room to fit 2 baby seats in the future. The trunk is important. I am still trying to figure out if I can live with a Toyota.

Thank you for posting this experience. I think more of us that we would like to admit are finding that the GS could be better in so many ways. If Hyundai makes a better or equal product for less money then they will do well........just like Lexus. Seems like Hyundai can outlexus lexus
Old 08-26-10, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congragulations. Nice choice.

Unless you get a rare (for today) Hyundai lemon, I wouldn't worry too much about those 50,000-mile comments. Hyundai is churning out some good stuff today, and most of those people I know who have newer Hyundais (some of whom I shopped with) are not only well-pleased with them, but have, in most cases, gotten years of good service out of them.

Just make sure to break it in properly...that's very important. For the first 1000 miles, vary the RPM, don't take it above 4000, don't do full-throttle acceleration, don't brake full-force unles you have to to avoid an accident, and don't try and tow anything (if it's tow-rated). Break-in oil changes are probably not as necessary now as they once were, but it's still, IMO, a good idea to change the oil shortly after break-in to get the shavings/impurities out from the break-in process.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-26-10 at 02:57 PM.
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, I was insinuating that the OP cared more about things other than the "well made luxury product", not that the OP didn't care.

with all due respect you are assuming that he doesnt care about "well made luxury products" or that Hyundai doesnt produce them. I think the point of this thread is let us know that its not only equal but better. So for those of us who want "well made luxury products" we should check Hyundai as well. I see where you are coming from but just like toyota changed perceptions of their random *** Lexus brand that popped in the late 80's Hyundai deserves the same respect and interest when they are producing cars that are very competitive in their segenst. we should all remember that Hyundai is trying to enter a new market they have never been in with very competitive products that out perform the competiton. Just like many Mercedes and BMW owners ate their words, I think many of us will be stuffed with words in 5 years. Give Hyundai the same respect and expectations as Lexus back in the day. It obvious that they are right on track
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brands do make a statement....like lexus or benz...some peoples lives are dependent on brands.

but there is no bigger statement made than a black genesis sedan slammed on deep lipped 20" maverick 107d wheels while cruising through wilshire and western in los angeles....nothing needs to be said about that.

Old 08-26-10, 02:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Thanks Man! - I did get the V8 - Titanium Gray. The only thing that I am doing to the car is rebadging the rear end. Removing the 'flying H' and replacing it with the 'Genesis Wings' - (Keeps people guessing) and I am getting an after market grill. Honeycombed with 'Genesis Wings' - Ala the Bentley. I'll post pictures when I get the grill done.

Actually this car reminds me a lot of my 99 GS300 (Which I loved) . They shrunk the hell out of the GS with the 3rd Generation.
Congrats, you finally got your dream car.

What is puzzling is you promote Hyundai is better etc etc yet the first thing you want to do is DEBADGE it and take all the Hyundai badges off?

If you are so proud of it and its so much better shoulder you leave them? Even add one to the front grill (since it doesn't have a Hyundai badge)?

Hell wear a Hyundai t-shirt and cap too! I mean if you are that confident in it, why not advertise it in person instead of on the internet?

guess I should trade in my hybrid GS for that hybrid Genesis too

oh wait....

Originally Posted by mikemareen
brands do make a statement....like lexus or benz...some peoples lives are dependent on brands.

but there is no bigger statement made than a black genesis sedan slammed on deep lipped 20" maverick 107d wheels while cruising through wilshire and western in los angeles....nothing needs to be said about that.

lol, really? Yeah, nothing makes a bigger statement then a Hyundai Genesis in black with wheels confusing everyone thinking its some sort of Lexus or INfiniti or BMW or Benz. Yeah big statement.

Old 08-26-10, 03:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Guys (1sick included) I asked to keep this thread polite and mature.

Keep the personal comments out of this thread or don't post.
Old 08-26-10, 03:22 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on the car! The Genesis has always looked like an interesting buy. I was looking at the 2.0T myself. Please post back here after a few thousand miles and let us know what your impressions are then.

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

I saw one the other day with the Wings emblem. I was thinking to myself that it didn't look normal. Looks a lot better then the H though!

Quick Reply: I have my Genesis, GREAT car