Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New toy: Toyota Vellfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Physics lessons from non-physics majors has nothing to do with this, lol.
In college, I majored in science, and took physics cources.

1. Electronic stability controls systems can and do make vehicles like this quite safe, but not especially fun or quick.
True, but that vehicle is sold overseas, not in the U.S. market, and, in some other countries, unlike here, new vehicles are not necessarily ESC-mandated.
We don't know, from the article, whether it has ESC or not.

But, no sense going on and on with this line of thought. If the OP is happy with his vehicle, that is all that matters. And it does seem to have some nice features. (you, for example, would probably find my Outback a little underpowered, but I'm quite happy with it).
Old 08-24-10, 05:14 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Vellfire.
Old 08-24-10, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
I like the Vellfire.
I take it you're suggesing a Lexus version? Now there's a thought for discussion.
Old 08-24-10, 05:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

True, but that vehicle is sold overseas, not in the U.S. market, and, in some other countries, unlike here, new vehicles are not necessarily ESC-mandated.
We don't know, from the article, whether it has ESC or not.

But, no sense going on and on with this line of thought. If the OP is happy with his vehicle, that is all that matters. And it does seem to have some nice features. (you, for example, would probably find my Outback a little underpowered, but I'm quite happy with it).
Agreed, nice people mover.

Note: Stability control is standard overseas as expected in this kind of vehicle built by Toyota (Toyota doesn't wait for government mandate regarding this valuable safety feature).

"The S-VSC (Steering-assisted Vehicle Stability Control) system, which is also a standard feature, optimally balances driving power, steering and braking in pursuit of stable driving regardless of road conditions."
Old 08-24-10, 05:47 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

congrats on the ride! the lights looks amazing- on both the rear and front.
Old 08-24-10, 06:38 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having driven one (well, it was an Alphard which is identical, just a different trim level), it's no taller or narrower than a Sienna minivan in the USA. It's drives very well.

It looks like the wheels are funny though. . . I don't know if the Thai dealers spec different wheel offset, but the wheels on Alphards and Vellfires here have more offset and appear larger (in Thailand).

Last edited by dj.ctwatt; 08-24-10 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-24-10, 06:40 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Old 08-24-10, 06:46 PM
LexFather

jtanoyo1 nice to hear from you, your 2GS back then pre-dates all the new VIP style yadda yadda newbies I'm sure you are going to mod this incredibly.

Keep us updated.

Old 08-24-10, 07:11 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

love this van...we used to own a fully loaded Hiace, how I wish that vehicle was state-bound, as I do this

Old 08-24-10, 07:17 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

yo awesome ride man...I see plenty of them on Jakarta's road
Old 08-24-10, 07:39 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

i'm a fan, more....

Old 08-24-10, 07:48 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I like the way this vehicle gives you a simple button, right above the PARK detent, to push when the shift-lock mechanism gets stuck. Years ago, in the U.S. some vehicles had a button like that to override the mechanism, but now, you have to pry off a small cap with a screwdriver, then stick the screwdriver (or similiar mechanism) down the hole to activate the override switch. PITA.
Since I don't have an auto I am not sure why the shifter locks, nor have I ever experienced this happening when behing the wheel of an automatic. How does this work?
Old 08-24-10, 07:55 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Since I don't have an auto I am not sure why the shifter locks, nor have I ever experienced this happening when behing the wheel of an automatic. How does this work?
When the key is out of the ignition, it prevents the vehicle from being shifted out of Park. It also prevents accidental gear changes in non-gated auto trannies by requiring you to press a button and the brake to shift into and out of Park and Reverse. If the button breaks, you may need to override the lock to operate the shifter (and drive the car).
Old 08-24-10, 07:59 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Ah, I get it. Thanks.
Old 08-24-10, 10:35 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, wow, plenty of comments, especially since most of you have not seen this thing in real life.

But to answer some questions:

1. Yes, it has ESC. There's a button next to the steering wheel that allows you to have it on or off. I don't know. I leave it on all the time.

2. The shift lock button is so handy, because yes, we double-park here in Asia all the time. I'd hate it if I got a humongous van in front of me on park and I am stuck waiting for the owner to come back so I can leave. I call it the common courtesy button.

3. Yes, the van is high, but not narrow at all. It sits 7 comfortable and on the 2nd row the van even has a middle table in between the captain seats for you to put your drinks on or play card. My children can run front and back in the van (kinda like kids do on planes).

4. The wheels are 18". This version of the vellfire is called the Alcantara Audioless 2 version. The "2" is for the bodykit and the gunmetal 18" wheels. The audioless is because we have no use for Japanese audio system in Indonesia. Japan only goes up to 90 FM, GPS would be in Japanese and all the interior buttons would also be in Japanese, which would really suck for us. So I bought mine audioless and have the aftermarket Toyota (in english) audio system installed afterward. That's why, Rominl, the protective screen is in Chinese. Made in China, much??

5. Here's a small pic of the new Vellfire next to the older generation Alphard (my work tank). Size remains almost the same....

6. Lastly, I doubt this van will ever make is States-side. The engine that comes in my Vellfire is 2.4L only. Much aplenty for congested Asian roads but will never be enough for the folks in the US. It also comes with 3.5L but it would have been USD130,000 with road taxes. Too crazy. My old Alphard is 3.0L.

Quick Reply: New toy: Toyota Vellfire