Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Chief Evokes James Bond in Renewed Push for Sports Cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-10, 09:38 PM
LexFather

Post Toyota Chief Evokes James Bond in Renewed Push for Sports Cars

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...orts-cars.html

Maurizio Raffone bought a Toyota Motor Corp. Prius hybrid for its top-of-the-line fuel efficiency. In his current search for a new sportscar, he said the Japanese carmaker hadn’t sprung to mind.

“Would I consider buying a Toyota high-end sports car?” said Raffone, a London-based director at Commerzbank AG. “I might think about it, but ultimately I’d choose something with a trident, a prancing horse or a bull on its hood,” he said, referring to cars made by Fiat SpA’s Maserati and Ferrari marques, and Volkswagen AG’s Lamborghini.

As the world’s largest carmaker tries to rebuild its reputation for quality following record recalls, President Akio Toyoda, a racing fan, has said he wants to add more fun to his cars. Under Toyoda, who became president in June 2009, the company has taken orders for the Lexus LFA $375,000 supercar, is readying an “affordable” rear-wheel drive coupe and may even add a sporty version of the Prius.

“Cars like the LFA are brand-builders in the overall product portfolio,” said Ashvin Chotai, London-based managing director of Intelligence Automotive Asia Ltd., an industry consultant. These cars, at the periphery of Toyota’s business model, “are less about volume and more about excitement.”

The projects fall under a new Sports Vehicle Management Division set up in January, a month before Toyoda flew to Washington to face congressional questioning on the company’s recalls for problems related to unintended acceleration.

The unit expands a similar group spearheaded by Toyoda in 2007 and aims to “reinforce sports vehicle product planning,” according to a company statement.

‘Affordable’ Sports Car

The “affordable” sports car, known as the FT-86, is being developed with affiliate Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd.’s Subaru unit. Toyota plans to introduce the model by the end of next year.

Toyoda touts the role of racing in car development and started participating in a 24-hour endurance race in 2007 in Nurburgring, Germany, where various versions of the LFA were tested.

His fervor for racing is reflected on his business card, where a cartoon image of Morizo, his race-car driver alter ego, flashes a peace sign with one hand and cradles a helmet in the other.

Toyota has firm orders for all 500 units of the limited- production LFA, according to the company. The car will enter production in December.

‘Technologically Brilliant’

“The LFA is technologically brilliant, but completely overpriced” at almost triple the price of Porsche SE’s 911 Turbo, said Mark Sweeting, an investment banker in London who has owned numerous sporty European cars.

Toyota’s sports cars no longer in production include the Supra, built between 1986 and 2002 and featured in the 2001 racing movie “The Fast and the Furious,” the MR-S roadster that ended production in 2007, and the Celica, made between 1970 and 2006. The company’s first supercar was the 2000GT, which was featured in the 1967 James Bond movie, “You Only Live Twice,” starring Sean Connery.

“Toyota used to have cool sports cars like the Supra and Corolla Levin,” said Kosuke Kakizawa, a sports car fan in Tokyo who owned a Toyota Cynos coupe in the mid-1990s. “Now, when you think of sports cars, you think of the foreign brands,” he said. Kakizawa now owns an Audi TT coupe.

Raffone, the Prius owner, agreed.

“Toyota should really focus on its cutting edge eco- friendly technology and leave the sports cars to the niche manufacturers,” he said.

Lowered Suspension

Last month, Toyota held a test-drive event for its new “G Sports” versions of the Noah and Voxy minivans, which were developed and tuned with the help of race-car drivers and have lowered suspensions, more responsive steering and high- performance brakes.

“These are cars that are sporty without being hardcore sports cars,” to be enjoyed by drivers with families, said Tadashi Yamashina, a senior managing director in charge of the company’s development of sports cars in an interview at the event in Yamanashi prefecture, northwest of Tokyo.

Sports models contribute little to sales volume and profit, Intelligence Automotive’s Chotai said. Toyota sold 1,300 units of the MR-S in Japan in 2006, the last full year it was offered. That compares with 2.27 million cars sold domestically in the fiscal year ended March 2007.

Japanese rival Honda Motor Co. also cut back on sporty cars over the last decade, axing plans for a revamped NSX supercar and ending production of the S2000 roadster in 2009. Instead, Honda introduced the sporty hybrid CR-Z in February.

Flagship GT-R

Nissan Motor Co., Japan’s third-largest automaker, came out with a more powerful version of its flagship GT-R sports car in 2007.

“The sporty push is understandable since the whole industry is so fixated on improving vehicle fuel economy, which leaves something to be desired” for enthusiasts, said Koji Endo, an auto analyst at Advanced Research Japan in Tokyo.

More sports models may also raise morale inside the company. “Sports cars keep the engineers motivated,” said Edwin Merner, president of Atlantis Investment Research Corp. in Tokyo. “They are worth doing on a limited scale.”

Old 08-18-10, 10:37 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I hope the LFA will be featured in a major international film
Old 08-18-10, 10:54 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"LFA overpriced" same sh-- different day huh?
Old 08-19-10, 07:13 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About time. Toyota is a total snooze to me. It's great that they can lay claim to a masterpiece like the LFA but why should you have to be a millionaire to enjoy the one true sports car they make. Bring back the affordable sports cars like they used to have.
Old 08-19-10, 07:30 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedflex
About time. Toyota is a total snooze to me. It's great that they can lay claim to a masterpiece like the LFA but why should you have to be a millionaire to enjoy the one true sports car they make. Bring back the affordable sports cars like they used to have.
Couldn't agree with you more.
Old 08-19-10, 09:31 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Agree 100000% with you guys... too bad he chose Bond, MGM is in bankruptcy and whole fanchise's future in doubt... looks like the MAN, Daniel Craig, will never make another...

Sadly, I don't think Toyota will really go back to a Supra-type affordable "machine"...
Old 08-19-10, 11:14 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Agree 100000% with you guys... too bad he chose Bond, MGM is in bankruptcy and whole fanchise's future in doubt... looks like the MAN, Daniel Craig, will never make another...

Sadly, I don't think Toyota will really go back to a Supra-type affordable "machine"...
When was a Supra ever exactly "affordable" ?
Old 08-19-10, 11:19 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

All Toyota has to do is build a good RWD chassis in a coupe or fast back and let the tuners have at it. It helps when the engine is well designed to accept the myriad of goodies people will want to put on it like the 2JZ and even the 5-7M motors.

That also includes the AE86 Sprinter, TA-RA Celica's...they've done enough economy friendly cars that were welcomed by tuners. Bring some of those back. The Scion is ok but it is a FWD.
Old 08-19-10, 11:31 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1

Supras were always affordable. They got the most expensive in the final generation sold in North America (In the 30's and could come close to 40K). Still, that's attainable for mere mortals. But most of the time during the 80's through early 90's Supras were possible for under 30K.

Last edited by speedflex; 08-19-10 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-19-10, 11:45 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

In 1985, my college room mate got one (cash- under $20K) , I traded my Trans Am for a Celica GTS same day..... in college... got the GTS because I didn't like black, his was two-toned, but like this:

Toyota Chief Evokes James Bond in Renewed Push for Sports Cars-supra.jpg
Old 08-19-10, 12:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Toyotas line up is just as boring as Hondas right now. I think some affordable sports cars (RWD) will be very welcomed by the young. There has been a cheap sports car shortage for a while. Even cars like the Z and the solstice can still get more expensive than what most consumers would like to spend
Old 08-19-10, 12:15 PM
LexFather

This..........

Old 08-19-10, 01:06 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I just remembered. The first car I was taught to drive using a manual was a Supra just like the one in rwdawg's picture!

Last edited by speedflex; 08-19-10 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-19-10, 08:11 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
In 1985, my college room mate got one (cash- under $20K) , I traded my Trans Am for a Celica GTS same day..... in college... got the GTS because I didn't like black, his was two-toned, but like this:

Attachment 183217
Sorry, let me make myself clearer. "When was A MkIV Supra ever affordable"

Supras were always affordable. They got the most expensive in the final generation sold in North America (In the 30's and could come close to 40K). Still, that's attainable for mere mortals. But most of the time during the 80's through early 90's Supras were possible for under 30K.
A MkI supra @$20k Is over $53k in today's money.
A MkII supra @$25k Is over $49k in today's money.
A MkIII supra @$35k Is over $55k in today's money.
A MkIV supra @$45k Is over $65k in today's money (and you better believe they sold for way more than that until the SUV craze came to be and they couldn't give them away).

Any car over $40K is by no means affordable. Obviously it's not super car money, and of course it is accessible to "mere mortals" but it is not affordable to most people.

Originally Posted by RA40
All Toyota has to do is build a good RWD chassis in a coupe or fast back and let the tuners have at it. It helps when the engine is well designed to accept the myriad of goodies people will want to put on it like the 2JZ and even the 5-7M motors.

That also includes the AE86 Sprinter, TA-RA Celica's...they've done enough economy friendly cars that were welcomed by tuners. Bring some of those back. The Scion is ok but it is a FWD.
This. And essentially, I hope it's what they are doing with the FT-86.
Old 08-19-10, 08:45 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Sorry, let me make myself clearer. "When was A MkIV Supra ever affordable"

A MkI supra @$20k Is over $53k in today's money.
A MkII supra @$25k Is over $49k in today's money.
A MkIII supra @$35k Is over $55k in today's money.
A MkIV supra @$45k Is over $65k in today's money (and you better believe they sold for way more than that until the SUV craze came to be and they couldn't give them away).

Any car over $40K is by no means affordable. Obviously it's not super car money, and of course it is accessible to "mere mortals" but it is not affordable to most people.

This. And essentially, I hope it's what they are doing with the FT-86.

I really don't get your logic here. You're trying to estimate a car's inflated price based on what it cost then. By that logic a Nissan Z should never start at 30K, which it does. And even at 40K people routinely purchase vehicles at that price point. Middle-class America will spring for cars in this price any time.

Quick Reply: Toyota Chief Evokes James Bond in Renewed Push for Sports Cars