Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10, 03:39 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?

just saw a black one, not sure if it was the sportage or sorento...if it was the sportage then wow it sure looked big.

but wow the sportage design kills all the toyota, nissan, mazda compact suv out there.

the sorento is 4 inches longer than the lexus rx350 and to be quite honest I'll take this over the toyota highlander any day of the week!

these design can easily pass as european.

Last edited by mikemareen; 08-16-10 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-16-10, 03:47 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's functional.

It does a good job. And the warranty is one of the best. Depreciation is probably the worst thing about it if you buy it new, but you can get great bargains with used ones.

Will it make anyone swoon in envy? Absolutely not. Ergo, you won't find a lot of praise for it on a Lexus forum.
Old 08-16-10, 03:58 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

yeah the former older sorento's, sportages yea u can get for a lowered depreciated price....but this are all 2011 so who knows how it will play out...the 2009 genesis is holding up well but it's only been uh...one whole year!!

these designs are huge, I know something good when i see it! the sportage will strike more emotion than any other compact suv out there...no comparison.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's functional.

It does a good job. And the warranty is one of the best. Depreciation is probably the worst thing about it if you buy it new, but you can get great bargains with used ones.

Will it make anyone swoon in envy? Absolutely not. Ergo, you won't find a lot of praise for it on a Lexus forum.
Old 08-16-10, 04:08 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by mikemareen

the sportage will strike more emotion than any other compact suv out there...
That's a non-issue with compact SUVs.

It's really not about emotion. It's about value, functionality, gas efficiency, easy of use, ease of maintenance, and ergonomics.

I doubt soccer moms get emotional over the CR-Vs and Rav4s. They just know what's frugal and appropriate...
Old 08-16-10, 04:10 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see the sportage a lot, nice car.
Old 08-16-10, 04:16 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Near my home there's a Ford/KIA dealer I pass a lot and see many Sorento's on the lot.
It's really a nice looking truck in the top of the line EX version.
Old 08-16-10, 04:23 PM
LexFather

Mikemareen like Hyundai much?

I'm just glad it doesn't look like a knock-off RX anymore. Also a turbo should be coming. Still I am attempting to care unless I have to rent one.

Old 08-16-10, 04:32 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mikemareen like Hyundai much?

I'm just glad it doesn't look like a knock-off RX anymore. Also a turbo should be coming. Still I am attempting to care unless I have to rent one.
I beg to differ. It still looks like a knock-off RX, but its not necessarily a bad thing I guess.
Attached Thumbnails anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?-2650_original.jpg   anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?-lexus-rx_350_2010_800x600_wallpaper_14.jpg  
Old 08-16-10, 04:34 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I haven't seen this car on the streets yet, but I have seen the new Optima sedan in Aruba a couple weeks ago. That is a sharp looking sedan in person.
Old 08-16-10, 06:17 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sorry man but they don't look anything alike, the theme is completely different, I mean COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

but the fact that it's being compared to a Rx350 that's double the price of a sorento is saying a lot in itself.

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
I beg to differ. It still looks like a knock-off RX, but its not necessarily a bad thing I guess.
Old 08-16-10, 06:24 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

if your statement was true then hyundai has it coveed with their 100k 10 year warranty but your comments are wrong in every way possible.

it doesn't matter what kinda category the car is, it's all about design, design and design...especially in this economy when people want more for their money.

why do people pay 55k for a benz E class when they know it's going to hit the fan in 50k miles ? IT'S A THING CALLED DESIGN.

reliability is nothing without design.
marketing is nothing without design.

design disign design.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That's a non-issue with compact SUVs.

It's really not about emotion. It's about value, functionality, gas efficiency, easy of use, ease of maintenance, and ergonomics.

I doubt soccer moms get emotional over the CR-Vs and Rav4s. They just know what's frugal and appropriate...
Old 08-16-10, 06:49 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

and if u wanna go head to head with a RX, take the cadillac srx which IMO completely rapes the RX in every way possible. wait two years and u can get the cadi srx for 24k whoo hoo!

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
Old 08-16-10, 07:18 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

mikem - I'm trying to understand your comparison of this Sportage to say a RAV4. The RAV4 is longer, wider, has more amenities (including 3rd row seating option), more powerful engine and has more room. The only thing that the Kia has going for it is price and warranty. However, I'm inclined to trust Toyco just a bit more in the reliability dept.

http://autos.aol.com/cars-compare?cu...A0&v3=&v4=&v5=

The Kia is no doubt light years ahead of its previous incarnation, but then again you'll also be comparing an all new model (2011) against a 5 year old design of the RAV4.
Old 08-16-10, 08:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?
I checked out both the Sorento and Sportage at the dealership when my brother and I recently went shopping for a new Kia Soul. I test-drove a 6-speed automatic LX AWD Sportage, but did not drive the Sorento. I did so mostly for my own reference/curiosity, so I didn't write up a long, formal review of it....there wasn't much CL interest, and I did not have any specific review requests. But I did look both over exensively, and took the Sportage for a pretty good test-drive.

The Sorento was slightly larger, roomier inside, and had a nicer-trimmed interior (the Sportage, IMO, was rather plain-Jane inside, even in high-trim versions). Both seemed fairly well-built, with good assembly quality and fit/finish. I generally liked the Sportage's road manners, with a smooth comfortable ride, firm (but artificial-feeling) steering effort, and, something not often found in this low-priced vehicle class...a butter-smooth in-line four and 6-speed automatic. But road noise was not well-supressed, and the weight/drag of the AWD and automatic took its toll on acceleration.
Old 08-16-10, 11:50 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

...but your comments are wrong in every way possible.
My comments were facts.

Your comments were options.

Justify how I'm wrong, and I'll give you a dollar.

IT'S A THING CALLED DESIGN.
The problem with design is that it's purely subjective.

Cost, warranty, price, size, gas efficiency, and depreciation are all objective.

We can all glorify something subjectively, and still come to no agreement.

But true function are all objective. We can agree if one product is superior than the other if it's measurable.

Is it all about design? If it was, the Honda Crossturd would be pennies and every Aston Martin would be worth billions of dollars.

And this ripoff of other modern cute-utes would be the fake Louis Vuitton of automotive design...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 08-17-10 at 12:02 AM.

Quick Reply: anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?