Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-10, 08:46 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does Hyundai/Kia get discussed here so much???

Frankly, who really cares?

How many people are cross-shopping Hyundai's with Lexus?

They don't make one vehicle that I would even consider personally owning for an inkling? I've spent enough time in their showrooms looking at vehicles for my businesses, but still ended up with something else.
Old 08-20-10, 08:51 PM
LexFather

^^^ Yeah I don't see that at all. Quite frankly I think the ML is one of the best looking SUVs around. I never saw it copying anything at all. To me it used traditional Benz styling cues.

Old 08-21-10, 05:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Reminds me of that VW drone guy.
Maybe he just switched brand loyalty.
Old 08-21-10, 05:35 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

They don't make one vehicle that I would even consider personally owning for an inkling? I've spent enough time in their showrooms looking at vehicles for my businesses, but still ended up with something else.
for all the talk I dont see many really posting up the "hey I just traded in my lexus for a hyundai thread"

so much talk for so little action
Old 08-21-10, 06:06 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

This is a pretty good looking vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?-venza.jpg  
Old 08-21-10, 07:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Because this is car chat, not just Lexus chat. And the company is making a lot of people take notice.

My brother, for example, is a real tightwad with his automotive dollars, and doesn't part with them easy.....but he was sold on the Kia Soul (no pun intended) the minute he checked it out. I, however, still like Subarus.....but am not tied down to any one company.

I wouldn't get requests for Hyundai/Kia reviews if nobody cared.

More than you might think. The Veracruz, for example, is often compared to the Lexus RX350. And the upcoming Equus (though I haven't had a chance to check it out yet) is also being compared to some Lexus sedans (but not necesarily the LS460).

Fair enough. It's your money....and that of your buisnesses. How you spend it is up to you.
Old 08-21-10, 12:26 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

the venza's is a looker as well! the best model that toyota has to offer.

target price is about 28-29k out the door for base model here in so cal.

Originally Posted by Koz
This is a pretty good looking vehicle.
Old 08-21-10, 12:33 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know about the veracruz though, it looks soft and doesn't appeal as a suv..at least to me, it's noticable that schreyer did not have his hands on this.

however the sorento, has visual cues that make it looks wide, strong, and broad shouldered. The hood-fender sides are slightly raised while the headlamp+grille all tilt up in a "U" formation.

Originally Posted by mmarshall

More than you might think. The Veracruz, for example, is often compared to the Lexus RX350. And the upcoming Equus (though I haven't had a chance to check it out yet) is also being compared to some Lexus sedans (but not necesarily the LS460).

Fair enough. It's your money....and that of your buisnesses. How you spend it is up to you.
Old 08-21-10, 12:40 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

just to clarify, I'm not a hyundai kia cheerleader!

it's just exciting to see a company based on bland, econo transports all of the sudden, come up with something so strong, fresh and original.

Now is it because hyundai kia was so lousy that anything was a big improvement ? I thought of this many times but when you take the marketing, branding apeal out of the equation...you really can't deny what is at face value.

The designs were carefully thought out and in all honesty, this is almost a slap in the face to asian designers....as it took a european dude schreyer to put the company on check.

I mean, of all the designers in korea, of all the upper echelon designers going to super reputable schools.....why is it that one has to reach across the border, to the country of your competition and grab their head designer ? great decision and great for business! but it's pretty much a gesture of design surrender.
Old 08-21-10, 12:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The cross shopping of Veracruz and RX ends at shopping - Not at actually buying.

YTD Sales thru July:

51,970 RX
4,177 Veracruz

The volume is in Tucson and Santa Fe

Last edited by LexBob2; 08-21-10 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-21-10, 12:43 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

LOL u can't deny the numbers!

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The cross shopping of Veracruz and RX ends at shopping - Not at actually buying.

YTD Sales thru July:

51,970 RX
4,177 Veracruz
Old 08-21-10, 02:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2

YTD Sales thru July:

51,970 RX
4,177 Veracruz

The volume is in Tucson and Santa Fe
Pretty obvious who's getting real results.

And secondly a vast majority of RX buyers never considered or bothered looking at a Tucson or Santa Fe.

But more on topic, I do think the Sportage can get a piece of the market dominated by the CRV and Rav4 (considerably downmarket from RX).
Old 08-21-10, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Pretty obvious who's getting real results.

And secondly a vast majority of RX buyers never considered or bothered looking at a Tucson or Santa Fe.
Of course not. There's little reason for RX buyers to cross-shop a Santa Fe or Tucson...that would be apples and oranges. The Veracruz is obviously a much closer comparison to the RX. But, nevertheless, as you and mikemareen have noted, you can't argue with the numbers...the RX does, in fact, vastly outsell the Veracruz.

However (at least as I understand it) Hyundai has plans to discontinue the Veracruz, and, to replace it, introduce a longer, larger, more plush version of the Santa Fe. The new Santa Fe may (?) compete a little more with the RX than the present one (or the Veracruz) does, simply because of the better name-recognition factor of the Santa Fe with the general public over that of the Veracruz, which few people really knew about. The present Santa Fe sells in much larger numbers than its own brother Veracruz.

But more on topic, I do think the Sportage can get a piece of the market dominated by the CRV and Rav4 (considerably downmarket from RX).
The Sportage, of course, has a significant price advantage on both the CR-V and RAV4. And, with the new-found quality and refinement in the latest Sportage, I'd pick it over the RAV-4, but I'm not sure I'd pick it over the CR-V...the CR-V really impresses me with its build quality. Consumer Reports also shows the CR-V as one of the most reliable vehicles in its database.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-21-10 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-21-10, 10:23 PM
ConceptVBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be surprised how many pre-owned Lexus models there are in my neighborhood Hyundai dealer. The majority of them, according to the sales person, were trade-ins for the Genesis and Sonata with a few Santa Fe.

Also, right outside the dealership by the entrance there is an MB S550 sitting all pretty. Imagine that.
Old 08-21-10, 10:32 PM
ConceptVBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
just to clarify, I'm not a hyundai kia cheerleader!

it's just exciting to see a company based on bland, econo transports all of the sudden, come up with something so strong, fresh and original.

Now is it because hyundai kia was so lousy that anything was a big improvement ? I thought of this many times but when you take the marketing, branding apeal out of the equation...you really can't deny what is at face value.

The designs were carefully thought out and in all honesty, this is almost a slap in the face to asian designers....as it took a european dude schreyer to put the company on check.

I mean, of all the designers in korea, of all the upper echelon designers going to super reputable schools.....why is it that one has to reach across the border, to the country of your competition and grab their head designer ? great decision and great for business! but it's pretty much a gesture of design surrender.
Perhaps its because most top korean designers get picked up by the big boys GM, VW, mercedes, BMW and others.

The guy who designed the Camaro is Korean. The guy who designed the FJ cruiser is also Korean (although personally dont like that design).

Quick Reply: anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?