Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 02:31 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah that quarter window section seems to be a hit or miss with some, but I'm sure that was intentional in terms of styling.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The rear styling of the new Sportage, with its roofline, beltline, and rather small windows and short, wide D-pillars, does not make for good rear vision....not as good as in the last one by any means. I didn't do a formal review, but took one for a test-drive when we bought my brother's new Soul....and that was one of the things I noticed.
Old 08-19-10, 03:33 PM
acheparev
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KIA and Hyundai don't have a standard design. They are just cheap Asian knock-offs of popular German and Japanese designs.

They don't compete with the so called "luxury market". They are people movers, that's it. BTW, once the dumb trade agreements between South Korea and the US end, you'll see those brands go up in price (if they ever end).
Old 08-19-10, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Because I'm probably the only one here that thinks the current CRV is reasonably attractive (not to mention the smoothest 4-banger and most refined chassis in this cheap mini-CUV class).
Yes, the CR-V is an excellent product, with arguably the best build quality in its class (certainly is the most reliable, according to Consumer Reports)....though, unlike you, I find the front end rather awkward-looking. But, if you get a chance, take a new Sportage out for a test-drive...preferably the new 6-speed automatic. A little low on power, yes, with the 2.4L four/automatic/AWD (FWD versions are also available), but I think you will be surprised at how smooth and refined the new powertrain is. I drove one when we bought my brother's new Soul, and, like with the new Jeep Grand Cherokee, I was quite surprised at the drivetrain/chassis refinement. The 6-speed automatic shifted with virtually Lexus smoothness.
Old 08-19-10, 04:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, the CR-V is an excellent product, with arguably the best build quality in its class (certainly is the most reliable, according to Consumer Reports)....though, unlike you, I find the front end rather awkward-looking. But, if you get a chance, take a new Sportage out for a test-drive...preferably the new 6-speed automatic. A little low on power, yes, with the 2.4L four/automatic/AWD (FWD versions are also available), but I think you will be surprised at how smooth and refined the new powertrain is. I drove one when we bought my brother's new Soul, and, like with the new Jeep Grand Cherokee, I was quite surprised at the drivetrain/chassis refinement. The 6-speed automatic shifted with virtually Lexus smoothness.
Sounds like a good idea, I'll take that Sportage test drive soon.
Old 08-19-10, 05:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by acheparev
KIA and Hyundai don't have a standard design. They are just cheap Asian knock-offs of popular German and Japanese designs.
Before you start panning Hyundai and Kia as being cheap German clones, consider that no German (or other European) company that I know of can deliver the quality that Hyundai and Kia offer does at their low prices. You can spend a six-figure sum for some upmarket German products.....and still get something unreliable. Many VWs, for example, sell in the broad Hyundai price range, but don't deliver anywhere near the same reliability, and are known for electrical problems.
Old 08-19-10, 10:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Before you start panning Hyundai and Kia as being cheap German clones, consider that no German (or other European) company that I know of can deliver the quality that Hyundai and Kia offer does at their low prices. You can spend a six-figure sum for some upmarket German products.....and still get something unreliable. Many VWs, for example, sell in the broad Hyundai price range, but don't deliver anywhere near the same reliability, and are known for electrical problems.
Agreed, certainly the major German brands (MB, BMW, Porsche) deliver nice premium vehicles in the North American market. But affordable German offerings (from VW) aren't competitive with what the leading Japanese and Korean automakers offer. They are lacking in so many areas, including but not just reliability and quality.
Old 08-20-10, 09:14 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

actually hyundai and kia is doing the exact opposite as your comments, their design theme is becoming obviously apparent with their sonata, upcoming elantra, kia sportage, upcoming optima and cadenza.

and not hey are NOT cheap knock off designs because they were designed by a european designer by the name peter schreyer. It's as genuine as u can get!!

and to say that they are knock off is a pure display if design ignorism.
the sonata and kia optima are design originals, the kia front end theme is carried out throughout it's line up. little by little it will show itself. the sonata as well, it copies nobody else.

peter schreyer is a genius...it may become one day that a car is known by the designer rather than the manufacturer.

a "peter schreyer" design (or whoever) may soon be the upcoming trend.

Originally Posted by acheparev

They don't compete with the so called "luxury market". They are people movers, that's it. BTW, once the dumb trade agreements between South Korea and the US end, you'll see those brands go up in price (if they ever end).
Old 08-20-10, 09:23 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The new Sonata and Sportage are some of the better-looking products on the market in respective price ranges. Even if they have certain styling elements from other desirable vehicles, they are not knock-offs of any particular vehicle.
Old 08-20-10, 10:11 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

darn too bad this was only 174" long on the small suv side. I'm not even into compact suv's but I gotta give my props to this:

mid size this and wow!

Old 08-20-10, 10:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mikemareen
actually hyundai and kia is doing the exact opposite as your comments, their design theme is becoming obviously apparent with their sonata, upcoming elantra, kia sportage, upcoming optima and cadenza.

and not hey are NOT cheap knock off designs because they were designed by a european designer by the name peter schreyer. It's as genuine as u can get!!

and to say that they are knock off is a pure display if design ignorism.
the sonata and kia optima are design originals, the kia front end theme is carried out throughout it's line up. little by little it will show itself. the sonata as well, it copies nobody else.

peter schreyer is a genius...it may become one day that a car is known by the designer rather than the manufacturer.

a "peter schreyer" design (or whoever) may soon be the upcoming trend.
The sonata design is a direct CLS/CC knock-off. Period. Peter Schreyer is no genius, he simply had a clean sheet to play with since everything previous was bland, derivitive or a direct copy. So of course ANYTHING he makes looks better. The bottom line is these the overall opinion is "wow that is amazing FOR A Kia/Hyundai". Their design is not anything new. Its just new for them.

Just b/c the man is European does not mean its automatically great.

Here is a base one without the touched up pics.

It looks much better than the last model which was a direct RX knock-off

Last edited by LexFather; 08-20-10 at 10:18 AM.

Old 08-20-10, 10:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just because you wanna look like Britney Spears, doesn't mean it's Britney Spears.

Lesson of the Day: Don't call yourself the Queen of England just because you have lipstick and a tiara...
Old 08-20-10, 11:18 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

I don't see any correlation to the cls and cc. in fact, the sonata's most recognizable feature is the way the belt line flows all the way into the hood and grille.

botto line it's original both kia and hyundai.

in fact, let me ask u this. what is it about the sportage that makes it unique ? what is it ?

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The sonata design is a direct CLS/CC knock-off. Period. Peter Schreyer is no genius, he simply had a clean sheet to play with since everything previous was bland, derivitive or a direct copy. So of course ANYTHING he makes looks better. The bottom line is these the overall opinion is "wow that is amazing FOR A Kia/Hyundai". Their design is not anything new. Its just new for them.

Just b/c the man is European does not mean its automatically great.

Here is a base one without the touched up pics.

It looks much better than the last model which was a direct RX knock-off

Old 08-20-10, 11:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just like:

Old 08-20-10, 11:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like Britney's been purging more often lately.
Old 08-20-10, 11:47 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lmfao phil.

mike did kia/hyundai pay u?

Quick Reply: anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?