Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GS Replacement: Opinions on the Acura RDX Tech Package...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 11:32 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GS Replacement: Opinions on the Acura RDX Tech Package...

As my GS has gotten up there in age and mileage, I'm on the verge of trading for an Acura RDX Tech. I received my financing approval today and am ready to go whenever I want. I have researched and researched and researched... as well as visited a few of the Acura forums (btw, they don't compare to CL). From what the consensus says, I can't go wrong with the RDX. There are a few quirks with it, but then again, what car doesn't have them? It's more of a necessity purchase since I have a dog that doesn't want to stop growing that needs to travel with me on occasion, and the back seat of the GS doesn't seem to cut it anymore.

So, I ask my fellow CL brethren... What's your opinion on trading from a GS400 to an RDX Tech?
Old 08-12-10, 11:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

My friend just got one and he likes it a lot. It's a well-rounded SUV, but I wouldn't say it stands out in any particular catagory. Basically, it comes down to what makes you happy, as any Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus product is going to serve it's purpose without fuss.
Old 08-13-10, 08:48 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stage3
As my GS has gotten up there in age and mileage, I'm on the verge of trading for an Acura RDX Tech. I received my financing approval today and am ready to go whenever I want. I have researched and researched and researched... as well as visited a few of the Acura forums (btw, they don't compare to CL). From what the consensus says, I can't go wrong with the RDX. There are a few quirks with it, but then again, what car doesn't have them? It's more of a necessity purchase since I have a dog that doesn't want to stop growing that needs to travel with me on occasion, and the back seat of the GS doesn't seem to cut it anymore.

So, I ask my fellow CL brethren... What's your opinion on trading from a GS400 to an RDX Tech?
Sounds like your minds made up so I will try not to beat it up too much. TO me might as well get a Rav4. The RDX interior isn't really luxurious and room isn't great. Clearly its NAV is better than a Rav4. The turbo 4 won't get you better MPG than a GS and its slower than a GS 400. Handling is sportier than a RX but its still a cute ute. I don't like the looks of it at all but to each its own. It will be pretty reliable.

To me it excels in nothing and there are better options out there. The good news if Acura dealers will offer anything to get you to buy it. They still have 0% financing /everything.

Good luck, I still love you

Old 08-13-10, 09:08 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Main gripes I've heard of are in regards to the relatively thirsty engine and looks (which are relative) Otherwise, it's a solid vehicle
Old 08-13-10, 09:16 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Financing via Acura for the RDX is 1.9% for 60 months. Not bad.

For about the same price, you can get a Highlander Hybrid.
Old 08-13-10, 09:35 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

My doctor got one as a loaner when his TL was in for service. He liked it ok, but said the Mpg was ATROCIOUS. Tahoe-level fuel economy in a convenient CR-V size=
Old 08-13-10, 09:40 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would venture to agree with Mike and Phil...the RDX isn't bad but it also isn't particularly great. To me, it is one of those vehicles where I would either 1) spend less and get something like a Rav4 Limited or Forester, 2) Spend more and get an RX, or 3) Spend the money on something entirely different like a Highlander or CX9.

Aside from the nav and interior pieces, I personally see little reason to buy one over a Rav4.

Good luck!
Old 08-13-10, 09:50 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wats wrong with the MDX? Bigger & AWD and probably will do the same on gas as the RDX maybe better. From what I read it does atleast 20 MPG.
Old 08-13-10, 10:33 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

my wife had one for a loaner once. I took into the hills and back streets late late night and beat the ish out of it. The thing handles better than any SUV I have ever driven. The turbo makes take offs from the light lots of fun. All in all its a great little SUV that will be reliable and probably is offered with some aggressive financing

GO FOR IT
Old 08-13-10, 11:28 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

My father owns one (2008). I do NOT like it. He likes the look at first sight so I went bought it for him. It is peppy and bumpy. My son hates it when grandpa takes him to and from school. It's thirsty.

If you like the sporty ride, get a used FX35.
Old 08-13-10, 11:58 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Tested one a few months back. Here are my thoughts:

Exterior: Recent remodel looks great from the rear 3/4 view. Front ends still looks odd, thanks to the ugly grill of course.

Interior: Compared it to a Venza and RAV4 on the same day, and it's definitely a big improvement over the RAV4, particularly the front seats. Tech package is nice too. Venza seemed to have twice the amount of space compared to either the RDX or RAV4. It won't seat 3 in the back comfortably - something to think about for parents who want to stick 2 kid seats in back.

Fuel consumption: Like others have pointed out, this is a negative for the RDX. That's why Acura created a 2WD version this year, and it gets 2 mpg better. You might consider this since you're in Florida.

Ended up with a 335i instead...

edit: Forgot to mention how it drove, lol.

I thought it was reasonably quick and refined, but the RAV4 with the V6 felt much stronger. It was decent, but I wasn't all that impressed.

Good luck!

Last edited by pvmike1; 08-13-10 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-13-10, 12:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
my wife had one for a loaner once. I took into the hills and back streets late late night and beat the ish out of it. The thing handles better than any SUV I have ever driven. The turbo makes take offs from the light lots of fun. All in all its a great little SUV that will be reliable and probably is offered with some aggressive financing

GO FOR IT
If you actually READ the first post you will see a high priority is space for his dog. You write about how sporty it drives. Do you think he wants to sling his dog all over the car or something?

The turbo is pretty much a turbutt as its not as swift as you would think.

Stage3, not my cup of tea but if you really love your dog, Honda offers a Element for dog lovers and dog accessories.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/16/2...ackage-review/

http://automobiles.honda.com/element...cessories.aspx

Old 08-13-10, 07:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

In all honesty, I would get a Mazda CX-7 before an RDX