Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another life gone to waste because of speeding

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 04:34 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another life gone to waste because of speeding

Coaches and friends of Lakota East student Jordan Day say he will be remembered for his academic and athletic abilities.

Day, 16, was the driver of a 1998 Lexus GS 400 who officials say led police on a chase at a high rate of speed early today, Aug. 12. He was killed after hitting a concrete wall and flipping the vehicle and striking a semi-truck park on the side of Interstate 75 near the Monroe rest stop.

A preliminary investigation by the Ohio State Highway Patrol shows Day was driving north around 12:40 a.m. on I-75. A trooper was parked in the median near Union Centre Boulevard and clocked the Lexus’ speed at 122 miles per hour.

Day maintained a high rate of speed but slowed down momentarily near the Ohio 129 interchange. In an attempt to initiate a traffic stop, the trooper closed the distance between his cruiser and Day’s vehicle.

However, Day accelerated, reaching speeds in excess of 130 miles per hour and significantly increased his distance from the trooper. At that point, the trooper activated his lights and siren.

Approximately one minute later, Day struck the concrete median barrier near the Kyles Station overpass and then slid across the highway where his vehicle struck a semi-truck that was parked on the right berm, just south of the Monroe rest area entrance. Upon impact, the vehicle’s engine ignited in flames and the car slid to a final rest in the middle of the interstate.

Day was ejected and pronounced dead at the scene. The occupant of the semi truck, Robert Hamilton, 32, of Timmonsville, S.C., was not injured.
The highway was shut down for several hours as crews investigated the accident.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol recovered Day’s cell phone from the scene. Sgt. Paul Lezotte said there is a possibility Day was on the phone at the time of the crash.

The OHSP said the investigation is continuing.

Teen excelled in academics, golfDay, who moved here from Chico, Calif., last summer with his parents Randy and Brenda, would have been a junior at Lakota East High School.

They moved here for Randy’s job, Lakota East golf coach Jeff Combs said. Day, who took advanced classes at East, had two older sisters who both live on the West coast.

“He was always at the golf course,” said West Chester Twp. trustee George Lang, who lives three houses down from Day’s family in the Wetherington community. “He was always practicing or playing.”

Lang said Day was “just a good kid who loved golf.” He recalled when his 15-year-old daughter was going to golf by herself, but Day offered to play with her. The two played nine holes together.

School officials said grief counselors will be available today to support students in the media center at Lakota East High School. “Not having students here at school yet, we are concerned about the impact this may have on our young people,” said Principal Keith Kline.

Day was a first-team, all-Greater Miami Conference performer last season for the Thunderhawks. He played in golf tournaments all summer, including the Optimist International Junior Golf Championships last month.

Day was a member of the Wetherington and Four Bridges country clubs.

“He was our leader for sure,” Combs said. “He was the one all the guys looked to. He was our No. 1 player. The kids would joke that he’s their personal pro. He’d pull a guy aside and help him on his chipping or putting.

They looked up to him for his dedication and desire.

“I thought he was one of the top five players in the area. He had a great, great summer. I feel like I lost a son. I’ve gotten really close with him. I really feel for his parents right now.”

Funeral arrangements are pending.

“It’s an absolute tragedy,” Lakota East athletic director Rich Bryant said. “Our hearts and prayers go out to Jordan’s family, his friends and his teammates.”
Players and parents will meet with grief counselors at 1 p.m. today. The Thunderhawks canceled today’s home tri-match with Mason and Moeller, and Combs said he is unsure if they will play in Saturday’s Sycamore Invitational.

“Jordan was a very good high school player,” Lakota West coach Chris Conway said. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to his parents and his extended family in California. It’s a sad day for the entire high school golfing community.”
(Courtesy of Dayton Daily News)
Old 08-12-10, 04:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

130mph
Old 08-12-10, 04:41 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The truck driver was probably sleeping, what a rude awakening lol
Old 08-12-10, 04:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well at least the idiot only got himself killed, and nobody else suffered.

130mph in a 12 year old car, thats probably poorly maintained, with inexperienced driver... just wow... Darwin wins again.

The only thing that makes me feel just a little bit bad is that the driver was only 16. If he was a bit older, I'd say he got what he deserved.
Old 08-12-10, 05:03 PM
Stormwind
Racer

One less idiot off the road for good.
Old 08-12-10, 05:11 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is generally why giving a 16 year old a 300 HP V8 vehicle is probably ill-advised.

You start that 16 year old out in a honda civic or toyota corolla, and he literally won't even be able to get above 85 MPH.

I was just as stupid at his age. In fact, I was just as stupid as little as a year ago, and I still drive like an irresponsible retard occasionally at the tender age of 22 (although this has markedly decreased with the looming threat of having to pay an annual surcharge for having too many points on my driver's license coupled with having to watch Red Asphalt V during a defensive driving course).

Difference is, I've been lucky and he was not.

I'll readily admit I have driven over 100 MPH on major interstates probably not unlike I-75 (certainly not often - twice in my lifetime).

Driving "in excess of 130 MPH," though, damn... There's twice as much available kinetic energy for damage (to the car/person/other cars involved) for a vehicle going 140 MPH compared to a vehicle going 100 MPH.

Same is true for a car going 70 MPH versus a car going 50 MPH. A car going 70 MPH has twice as much kinetic energy as a car going 50 MPH.

It's this simple little fact - the fact that kinetic energy increases linearly with mass but as the square of speed - that accounts for the fact that excessive speed kills.

Anyways, stories like this should always serve as a reminder to keep the rest of us "idiots" in line (yes, I'll willingly call myself an idiot, I know I've gone above 100 MPH a few times in my life and it was thoroughly idiotic).
Old 08-12-10, 05:12 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah..... can't really feel sorry for what happened, he did this to himself and just glad no one else got hurt for his stupidity. Poor GS.
Old 08-12-10, 05:20 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know about the rest of you saints on here, but I drove like a madman when I was 16.

When my kids turn 16, they will be getting a low powered, RWD, 4 cylinder car - the right type of car to push to its limits.
Old 08-12-10, 05:40 PM
JessePS

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I don't know about the rest of you saints on here, but I drove like a madman when I was 16.

When my kids turn 16, they will be getting a low powered, RWD, 4 cylinder car - the right type of car to push to its limits.
I only started to drive like a mad man a year ago (only when people are not around).

Funny thing is... I had my permit since I was 16. Got my license when I was 20 (I would have gotten it sooner, but I was lazy), but I only started to drive when I was 22 (last year).

low powered, 4-cyl good... he/she could still have fun max be like what 100 mph? Just teach them how to handle the car.
Old 08-12-10, 05:47 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not about handling the car, it's about handling the responsibility of your actions. Kid had absolutely no intention of stopping whatsoever.
Old 08-12-10, 05:53 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

When someone only takes them self out it's hard to be 'sad' about it.
Old 08-12-10, 06:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I feel sorry for his parents. imo this is why I would never buy my kid a powerful car. At 16 he thought he was invincible .
Old 08-12-10, 06:12 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well at least the idiot only got himself killed, and nobody else suffered.

130mph in a 12 year old car, thats probably poorly maintained, with inexperienced driver... just wow... Darwin wins again.

The only thing that makes me feel just a little bit bad is that the driver was only 16. If he was a bit older, I'd say he got what he deserved.
what he said. glad no one else got hurt. if i have kids, they're getting something like a yaris or a versa.

i started off with a mazda protege and i'm glad that i did.
Old 08-12-10, 06:13 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Classy replies in this thread.
Old 08-12-10, 06:16 PM
LexFather

I don't think its speed that killed him, it was a mix of factors. Am I reading this wrong but was he ELUDING police? So its not speed, it wasn't just driving 130MPH straight and he died from speeding.

16 years old, fast car, inexperience, eluding police is a mix for a sad ending.

Quick Reply: Another life gone to waste because of speeding