Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automobile: Comparison: 1-2010 Jaguar XF Premium vs. 2- 2011 Infiniti M56 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 06:14 PM
LexFather

Post Automobile: Comparison: 1-2010 Jaguar XF Premium vs. 2- 2011 Infiniti M56 Sport

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...ort/index.html

With the new M56, Infiniti almost certainly was trying to build a BMW (after all, the 5-series and the Mercedes E-class are the big kahunas in this segment). But Infiniti ended up with a very good Jaguar-shapely, sporty, luxurious. In the end, though, the M56 Sport may just be trying too hard. In an M56 minus the sport package -- with its four-wheel active steering, sport suspension, and twenty-inch wheels -- the M's catalog of superiority would almost certainly put it over the top. But between these two cars, the XF proved to be the better Jaguar -- a sensualist's choice that stands in pleasing contrast to the German sport sedan's hegemony.

Old 08-11-10, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

What's your take on these, Mike? I know you've had a chance to drive an M56....I haven't. I reviewed last year's XF, with the old 4.2L, but have not driven either the M56 or the 2010 XF with the new V8. I may do an M56 for the December Holiday review, if there is enough interest.

Apparantly (from the article) the Sport Package and 20" wheels on the M56 Sport trade a fair amount of ride comfort for only slightly better handling.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-11-10 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-12-10, 02:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have driven both cars and I think the M56 is more fun to drive but the Jaguar was the best overall. I love the added luxury, the cool interior features, and I love the way the XF looks. The M is a handsome car but doesnt stir my soul like the Jaguar. They both feel very quick, relatively agile for their sizes, and have great interior but I would have to give it to the Jaguar on this one.

I have to say I loved the torque that both of these beauties offer. The V6 just cant pull the same way
Old 08-12-10, 02:24 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had more faith in Jag's reliability I'd go for it over nearly anything else in the segment.
Old 08-12-10, 02:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I feel the same way. I remember when I first saw the new Jaguar, I asked myself why cant Lexus make their GS look like that
Old 08-12-10, 02:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I feel the same way. I remember when I first saw the new Jaguar, I asked myself why cant Lexus make their GS look like that
I don't even know where to begin with this. The XF looks like a longer GS with a different front/rear. Even Ian Callum, the famous designer had to defend his design when asked "why does the XF look so much like the GS"?

Top Gear even brought a GS 450h one month to compare it to the Jag XF just b/c they noticed how much the Jaguar reminded them of the GS. They were pretty amazed at how the Jaguar favored the Lexus.

The XF looks like the GS. Down to some wheel choices.

07-09 GS 450h wheel

New 2010 New Infiniti G37 optional wheel

Dunnojack brought it up here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-2010-xfr.html

2009/2010 Jaguar XF optional wheels

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What's your take on these, Mike? I know you've had a chance to drive an M56....I haven't. I reviewed last year's XF, with the old 4.2L, but have not driven either the M56 or the 2010 XF with the new V8. I may do an M56 for the December Holiday review, if there is enough interest.

Apparantly (from the article) the Sport Package and 20" wheels on the M56 Sport trade a fair amount of ride comfort for only slightly better handling.
I need to drive the updated XF. In this test the M56 cost more than the Jaguar. I don't understand why, it should be cheaper with all its sharing of parts.

Old 08-12-10, 02:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The Jaguar look so much nicer than the GS. Its more contemporary and sportier. In the end its all subjective . They look as much like each other as any other sedan in its class. They are always going to have similar lines because they are competitiors and need to match size and capacity
Old 08-12-10, 02:55 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well when you blatantly rip the design off a car that's been on the market for a few years, it's not hard to make it look better.
Old 08-12-10, 02:56 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
If I had more faith in Jag's reliability I'd go for it over nearly anything else in the segment.
Well said.

All the new Jags look great. But I wouldn't trust it as a daily driver...
Old 08-12-10, 02:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^ well when you blatantly rip the design off a car that's been on the market for a few years, it's not hard to make it look better.
Lexus has had the 3GS on the market for 5 years now and the car has become stagnant in the style department. It needs a refresh to keep up with cars like the Jag and even the new E class
Old 08-12-10, 03:00 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't disagree with you, but Jaguar's inspiration is pretty clear...

Old 08-12-10, 04:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm really happy the Jag won this comparo. Good road manners, healthy V8, and a nice presence. Not that the M56 is a bad car, but when it comes to cars in this class I myself look more towards the Euro's.
Old 08-12-10, 05:19 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both cars are very nice. Finally on the same level as 5 and E. I am sure the next GS would be very sporty also. Can't wait to see a big comparo with all of them together along with probably the next gen RL and A6.
Old 08-12-10, 06:11 PM
LexFather

Lexus has had the 3GS on the market for 5 years now and the car has become stagnant in the style department. It needs a refresh to keep up with cars like the Jag and even the new E class
Its called timeless classy design. It didn't need huge improvements in the style department. Quite frankly I don't really like the revised models. Its not stagnant, this is luxury and luxury should not change every year or every 3 years due to trends. Real luxury brands understand that.

Considering as MP said the GS is over 5 years old and cars are emulating it is a sincere form of flattery.

Not sure how anyone can call the new E-class a leader in design. Its a clear step back and maybe worst in class in styling (to me).

Old 08-13-10, 01:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

the xf may be similar to the GS but i find it more elegant, although the headlight bulge is a bit odd.

Quick Reply: Automobile: Comparison: 1-2010 Jaguar XF Premium vs. 2- 2011 Infiniti M56 Sport