Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus design changes

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 07:13 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus design changes

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...Humphries.html

I hope this isn't a repost.

Changes coming
Lexus’ head of global design tells us what’s next on the Lexus look-and-feel front.

By Brian Gill and Doug Knox

It’s about five weeks before the first 2011 Lexus models start arriving at Lexus dealerships, so we thought this would be the perfect time to catch up with Lexus’ head of global design, Simon Humphries, to see what’s coming down the pike:

Lexus: First of all, now that we know that the 2011 IS will have body changes, are there any big design updates coming for other 2011 models?

HUMPHRIES: At this point I can say only that there will also be a change in the front-end design of the GS, most likely arriving in 2012. Both the IS and future GS updates are dramatic changes—they’re much more distinctive, much more unique. In our minds, these aren't complete black to white sort of changes, but they are an evolution.

Okay, how about the larger picture. We’ve heard more and more that Lexus vehicles will be changing, but what are the specifics there, at least from your perspective?

I think our biggest change we’ve been working on comes down to one issue, and that’s that Lexus is now heavily focused on being a driver’s vehicle. In other words, in the luxury market, I think that all manufacturers have got to decide whether they’re going to produce formal ride-in-the-back-type prestige cars or vehicles that are meant to be thrilling to drive. Lexus is definitely now heavily emphasizing, and will continue to do so, a driving-oriented ideology—cars that are completely driver focused. The LFA is, of course, a symbol of that change in many ways.

How does this translate to your world, vehicle design? We’ve noticed that the shapes and angles of Lexus vehicles are getting somewhat sharper and edgier.

Yes, that’s been a very conscious decision. With the focus on a fun driving experience, we’ll eventually be taking the entire line in a much bolder design direction, which isn’t just about the car as a whole. Like I said, you’ll soon see that in the identity of the front-ends, like the IS and GS for 2011. But if you want to see what I’m talking about right now, take a look at the face of the CT 200h; the grille design is bold, very distinctive. That is something we intend to take through the whole line, so you can look forward to that, perhaps, in each model’s next generation.

Looking out a few years, what do you see as the main challenge for automobile designers?

Well, the relationship between human and machine is obviously becoming a very, very heavy connection. We saw this years ago, and even devised a design philosophy that takes advantage of it, a notion of “anticipation.” In other words, we decided to design vehicles that are “aware” of what the driver needs before he or she does, and to make the connection a pleasant, intuitive experience.

Can you give us a real example of a Lexus design solution here?

The Remote Touch system is a good example. Here you have a technology that makes it easier to control other technologies. We deliberately placed the device near the driver, so you can see it. It’s almost a seating-control situation, so everything is together: the driver in the seat, the device right next to the seat, and the screen in the same panel as the device. Through design, there is a natural connection between the human and the technology. It's, of course, already in the RX and HS 250h, and will be in the CT 200h as well.

Finally, how do you see other forms of power affecting automotive design?

Personally, I think there needs to be more investigation, and perhaps more open-mindedness in the industry, as to what actually defines a car. As we move further into the electric era, it will be impossible to make cars in the same ways we do now, which Lexus already knows. And it won’t be as simple as switching from gasoline to electrically powered vehicles. Some types of automobiles will be made for certain energies, and others will be ideal for other energy types. So this is also going to create a lot of change and variety in automotive design packaging. It will be a very interesting time, I think.
Old 08-11-10, 07:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is the most vague reporting ever.

"Yeah. We're gonna redesign the new models. We're gonna make things better. Like the Remote Touch system..."

Old 08-11-10, 07:56 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting....

I'm glad to see that there is a focus on making more driver-oriented cars...that is definitely good news.

I don't personally love the CT grille so I hope they don't go crazy with that.

I would like to see some of the boldness in the CT design translated into other cars, so that would be a welcome change.

GS more or less confirmed for 2012....
Old 08-11-10, 07:58 AM
LexFather

I am now scared the GS might lose its quad headlamps.....LEXUS DO NOT DROP THE QUAD HEADLIGHTS!!!

Old 08-11-10, 07:59 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I hope this driver oriented push does not ruin the LS and the ES.
Old 08-11-10, 08:03 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I hope this driver oriented push does not ruin the LS and the ES.
Agreed, sporty driving sounds great for the CT/IS/GS, but leave the cushy couch on wheels ride on the ES/LS.
Old 08-11-10, 09:20 AM
08IS350
Driver

Please also bring emergency/parking brake closer to driver too at least in IS.

I think it should be next to gear like old car so that passenger can have access to it too if it is necessary .
Old 08-11-10, 09:26 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That vague CT Grill comment is absolutely scary.
Old 08-11-10, 10:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i love that they say they will go with bolder designs, and i hope they are really doing it

but i am confused about what he says on the gs. a lot of changes to the "front-end" of the gs in 2012? that means another facelift?? no 4gs coming yet?
Old 08-11-10, 11:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Whatever the change is for Lexus designs, another big emphasis should most definitely be that they have a totally different design language from all current and future Toyota brand models, so that even the nearly blind can tell the difference between the models of the two brands at a distance ......

Last edited by Gojirra99; 08-11-10 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-11-10, 11:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
That vague CT Grill comment is absolutely scary.
+1
and that hybrid grill needs to go
Old 08-11-10, 11:04 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Whatever the change is for Lexus designs, another big emphasis should most definitely be that they have a totally different design language from all current and future Toyota brand models, so that even the nearly blind can tell the difference between the models of the two brands at a distant ......
+10012039

The models usually start off pretty well as far as differentiation goes, but it seems that both refresh in the same direction and end up having far too much of a family resemblance.
Old 08-11-10, 11:13 AM
LexFather

I agree with Andrew. Lexus comes with something new or distinctive then they decide to put something similar on a Toyota. Why do they do that I don't know.

Old 08-11-10, 11:17 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedflex
But if you want to see what I’m talking about right now, take a look at the face of the CT 200h; the grille design is bold, very distinctive. That is something we intend to take through the whole line, so you can look forward to that, perhaps, in each model’s next generation.
I think I'm losing hope.
Old 08-11-10, 12:16 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Whaa, what "GS updates" ? So, 4GS is not coming ? 11' IS just got a face lift, and now they are talking about 12 GS getting front end changes ? C-mon

Quick Reply: Lexus design changes