Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus design changes

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 09:26 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I'm pretty sure that's a strong indication the 2012 GS is redesigned and is coming early.

doubt it.

There's no good reason to release the GS a year before the 3IS

I think lexus plans to neglect the 3GS with no further exterior updates before the 4GS arrives in 2012, just as they neglected the SC.
Sounds like design overhaul coming in 2012 simultaneously for both IS and GS, and will sell as 2013 models.

HUMPHRIES: At this point I can say only that there will also be a change in the front-end design of the GS, most likely arriving in 2012. Both the IS and future GS updates are dramatic changes—they’re much more distinctive, much more unique. In our minds, these aren't complete black to white sort of changes, but they are an evolution.
The GS is already the poorest selling lexus sedan, so there's no incentive to update anything since it won't boost sales anyway.

They didn't update any exterior styling for the 2011 model, and it wouldn't hurt to drag it out through the 2012 model year.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
because the 2011 GS is up early on the Lexus USA website.
it's probably up early because it's the easiest webpage to update.
there were almost no changes to the 2011 model. some options became standard.
all the pictures stayed the same.
the webmaster only had to change a little text on the page.

Last edited by dunnojack; 08-11-10 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-11-10, 09:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the rumors and insider word says that people have already seen the interior and exterior of the next-gen GS. That means the car is close to finished. I would find it really strange if Lexus dragged out the current gen for another year and released the next-gen as a 2013 vehicle.

Releasing the next-gen GS and next-gen IS a year apart makes a lot of sense. Doing so prevents the cars from taking away attention from each other. It also helps to minimize any early build quality and production issues.

Plus, the redesigned ES might also be debuting in 2011 as a 2012 model. We don't know for sure yet.

Toyota has gone back to its roots and is taking its time on new products to ensure high quality. Releasing two or three redesigned Lexus sedans in the same model year doesn't make sense under the new approach Toyota has.

Originally Posted by dunnojack

it's probably up early because it's the easiest webpage to update.
there were almost no changes to the 2011 model. some options became standard.
all the pictures stayed the same.
the webmaster only had to change a little text on the page.
I don't see how that makes sense, given the 2011 ES and 2011 LS pretty much remain unchanged for the most part. Changing their pages on the Lexus USA site is nothing more than changing some text as well, and yet the 2010 models are still on the page.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 08-11-10 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-11-10, 11:12 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

This report did not reveal a thing and is typical marketing BS. Since Lexus's inception, most forcasters have said the same thing..."...will get more sporty." In reality, this is the standard protocol for all car companies to use. Everyone wants to pitch sportier cars, but conservative is what actually sells and produces numbers. The CT grille example was the giveaway. All it has are some sharper, bent corners. That does not make a car sporty. The 2011 ES got the same update, and it's hardly "sporty." What will likely happen is a shift in styling themes that modernize the car and make it look a bit more edgy. Not much more.
Old 08-12-10, 07:16 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

If the CT grille is supposed to be some harbinger of change then I'm not too excited.
Old 08-12-10, 08:19 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack
The GS is already the poorest selling lexus sedan, so there's no incentive to update anything since it won't boost sales anyway.

They didn't update any exterior styling for the 2011 model, and it wouldn't hurt to drag it out through the 2012 model year.

wow, I would think common sense would dictate the EXACT OPPOSITE. If a model's not selling well, then there must be a reason, and you'd better address that asap, or plan on dropping the model altogether.

Then again, who knows what Toyota is thinking based on some of their past decisions. I do however, have hope for the future, as a car enthusiast is now in charge. I think in 5 years, the Toy/Lex lineup will be much more appealing than it currently is.
Old 08-12-10, 08:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by replica
wow, I would think common sense would dictate the EXACT OPPOSITE. If a model's not selling well, then there must be a reason, and you'd better address that asap, or plan on dropping the model altogether.

Then again, who knows what Toyota is thinking based on some of their past decisions. I do however, have hope for the future, as a car enthusiast is now in charge. I think in 5 years, the Toy/Lex lineup will be much more appealing than it currently is.
not if the new model is not completely ready.
Old 08-12-10, 08:47 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by replica

The GS is still fresh looking IMO but it's slow to sell because, let's face it, it's been around for a while. An updated grille may improve sales slightly but it's still a bit behind the pack because nearly everything else in the class is new gen. Nevertheless, I'd be happy to own one myself.
Old 08-12-10, 08:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I hope this driver oriented push does not ruin the LS and the ES.
Totally agree. They've already stiffened the ride up a little in the current versions, much less the future ones.
Old 08-12-10, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
In reality, this is the standard protocol for all car companies to use. Everyone wants to pitch sportier cars, but conservative is what actually sells and produces numbers.
No...like it or not, the whole industry, with few exceptions, DOES seem to be getting excessively sport-oriented, even with traditional luxury cars. It is getting harder and harder every year (but still not impossible) to find truly conservative, soft-riding cars that don't have stiffer suspensions, lower-profile tires, or excessively aero-styling. Even big Buicks and other American luxury cars now ride slightly stiffer....and the really soft ones like the Roadmaster, Fleetwood, Town Car, etc....have been dropped.
Old 08-12-10, 09:00 AM
LexFather

Lets also remember that the GS has never really had aggressive leasing. It simply is not a car to lease and as we know at least 50% want to lease. We know that Lexus is in the 30% range while the Germans are literally twice as high. I don't have financials but maybe selling less is better than leasing more.

Originally Posted by speedflex
If the CT grille is supposed to be some harbinger of change then I'm not too excited.
I agree. Can't say I am too thrilled with the pointy chrome grill ends on it and the new RX or the HS grill or the new hybrid grills.

These gotdamn designers need to understand that understated and classy is fine. Not every car and brand needs to look different for the sake of it.

Old 08-12-10, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

These gotdamn designers need to understand that understated and classy is fine. Not every car and brand needs to look different for the sake of it.

Totally agree, Mike. A perfect example is the styling on the new Hyundai sedans...Accent, Elantra, and Sonata. There was nothing wrong with the way the old ones looked (and I thought the old Sonata was quite handsome), but all three are being radically changed in the styling department (along with the Tuscon as well), IMO, needlessly so.

Back to Lexus, here is, IMO, arguably the best Lexus interior ever done...the ES330. Even some LS interiors have been hard-pressed to beat it. Lexus, IMO, has not "improved" on this one yet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-12-10 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-12-10, 09:22 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not very optimistic about the design language at Lexus. Not a big fan of the CT and even the new RX seems like a step back from the previous generation.

I'm with 1SIC. Lexus needs to get back to the "futuristic classy" designs that were so good in the 1990's. I think Audi is doing the best job at this. Their cars are the best looking on the road and they age so well.

Lexus needs to not try to chase after BMW in the sportiness race. BMW is the best at this and Lexus can excel in the luxury, smooth, and classy race. They need to go back to the amazingly well engineered cars that are so well built and quiet that will embarrass the German competition.

But make it look good, above all else.
Old 08-12-10, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
I'm with 1SIC. Lexus needs to get back to the "futuristic classy" designs that were so good in the 1990's. I think Audi is doing the best job at this. Their cars are the best looking on the road and they age so well.
Agreed. But those classy cars of the 90's are today, by many people considered "frumpy", "conservative", and are scorned. But I'm with you on this one...they beat many of the newer "improved" designs.

Lexus needs to not try to chase after BMW in the sportiness race. BMW is the best at this and Lexus can excel in the luxury, smooth, and classy race. They need to go back to the amazingly well engineered cars that are so well built and quiet that will embarrass the German competition.
Yep. To go forward, sometimes you have to look back.
Old 08-12-10, 11:40 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I think Lexus got it right with the RX and the current IS. The "arrowhead" grilles on both vehicles I think are good. The CT grill on the other hand is quite plain. Hopefully the 4GS grille is closer to the RX grille than it is to the CT grille.
Old 08-12-10, 12:25 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I dont know how the rest of you feel, but to be honest, I don't like any of the new designs by Lexus. All the previous models were gorgeous. Before I could look at the car and I would like it right away, right now I have to stare at it for 20 mins just to find something to like. I really hope that the next GS/IS/ES and LS will not end up in the hands of master who designed an HS/GX and the RX. Although, the new RX is ok compared to HS and the new GX......

Quick Reply: Lexus design changes