Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The one that got away...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 06:09 PM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The one that got away...

When I was young I wanted a first gen RX-7 in the worst way. At the time I couldn't afford the car nor the insurance. By the time I could it wasn't a practical choice for me. I still kind of regret never getting to own one.

Anyone else have a car or bike that you feel like you missed out on?
Old 08-08-10, 07:03 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mentioned it many times before here and on various forums. In 1993 or so my friend was going to sell my his 1965 Ford Mustang with a 4-Speed manual for $500. The water pump had broken so it was getting ticketed in front of his house because it could be driven. Nothing else was really wrong aside from some body rust that was starting up. He had all the parts to repair just never had the time to do it. The catch for me was I had to have it towed to my house. Would have cost me around $80-$100 or so. Being around 20-21 I didn't really want to pay that much money for towing even though I really wanted the car. Yes, you can call me stupid now.
Old 08-08-10, 07:12 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think it was 06 or 07 bmw 650 when i got my 07 gs,,, i went to the local lexus dealership to look at gs but they also had pre-owned bmw 650 with white and red interior which was absolutely beautiful,,,,it was little pricey than new gs but car already had matching white wheels which what i did to my gs,,,i thought about for few days and call the dealer to make the deal but car was sold earlier that morning,,,

Last edited by LIMS407; 08-08-10 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-08-10, 07:57 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was dreaming about an E46 M3, there was even one parked in front of the Lexus dealer for sale, but I ended up walking in and buying an IS lol, almost the entire first year was agonizing on the what if's.
Old 08-08-10, 09:22 PM
mxis350
Lead Lap

A 335i BMW... I just went along with the wife on the lexus and never really checked the Bemmer out.
Old 08-08-10, 10:21 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Jaguar XK 150 S Roadster - I saw an example in a dealer's showroom selling used (a 1961 model in 1964) with both tops, snow white with lipstick red leather interior and Borrani wire wheels, and I was promptly smitten.

The 150 S was a transitional model from the 140 to the XKE - with what would become the E's 3.8L straight 6, with DOHC putting out 265 hp - quite a powerplant in the early sixties, especially in a roadster. 4-wheel disc brakes, MOMO wood steering wheel, a fully leather-lined interior, including a matching leather dashboard, and (unusual on a British sports car of that era), roll-up windows. It was a racer with elegance, a gentleman's touring car that also found expression in the Aston-Martin.

I was far too big to lever myself into an "E", and besides, E-Types were brand new and commanding top dollar at the time, so a slightly used but perfectly restored 150 S was ideal, if still worth about a year's pay at the time. Three years later I bought an early '67 Mustang, but like most of the loves of our youth, I never quite got over the XK 150 S.

Today a full restoration of that vehicle goes at auction for well over a quarter-mil. I should have bought it in 1964 - for $3,700.
Old 08-09-10, 04:33 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've missed out on 3 great cars...My mother used to own an '85 Toyota Corolla GT-S (hatch back model) by the time I was old enough to start driving, she sold it to her cousin....She even promised to give that car to me when I was old enough to drive.

The next car I kinda missed out on was an '87 5.0 Ford Mustang LX Coupe...I had driven it many times to and from high school, but I wasn't really into cars back then...I regret selling that car for only $2000.

The last car I've missed out on was a '94 Mazda RX-7...The lady selling it wanted $1500 more than what I was willing to give her...I declined and got my SC300 instead.
Old 08-09-10, 04:39 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im in the process trying to get the car that i could of missed out on earlier this year. the price was a little higher but defiently afordable. it was a is300 in IBP 5 speed manual with only 21k on the odo. now im trying to get an 03 MSM 5speed manual with only 36k on the odo. no way am i gunna let this go if i can do anything about it.
Old 08-09-10, 04:49 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Earlier this year my parents own a small business that have long time customers. This very very old lady had a 1967 mercedes 230SL in mint condition she was willing to sell me it for 5k, I hesistated for 2 days called her back just to find out she sold it. I never see those cars under 15k-20k range
Old 08-09-10, 08:21 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

No, can't really say I've ever regretted passing on a car or bike.

Are there some I wonder "what-if" to this day? Sure, but then I would have also missed out on some great vehicles that I did own.

Passed on a decent, first gen RX-7 at one point. But in return, I bought a 95 Miata. Fairly comparable cars, in the end, and I wouldn't trade the years I had that Miata for the chance at the RX-7.

Passed on a 99 M3 when I purchased my IS-300. Yes, I wonder if the Bimmer would have been more fun to drive than the Lexus sometimes, but it was a 2-door (not child seat friendly) had 120k miles, and probably not as reliable. In the end, I'm rather happy that I took the IS-300 over the well worn M3.

Only vehicle that even comes close to giving me some regret was a 2003 Honda RC-51 I was looking at when I bought my cruiser. Bike was a 2 year old leftover at a dealership. Price on it was actually below what nice used ones were going for. Was ready to pull the trigger and sign all the paperwork, but couldn't find an insurance quote that was acceptable. Everyone I checked wanted ~$3k a year to insure it (and that was with a clean record, for a 35 year old, long time rider). In three years time, I would have paid more for insurance than I paid for the bike. But in the end, I made out OK. I kept my current sportbike, and added a cruiser to the stable. Two bikes in the garage is always better than one!

So sure, I've passed on some interesting vehicles over the years. But in the end, I've always picked up something comparable and never really looked back. Nine times out of ten, I've made the right decision at the time, for where I was in life, and what I wanted out of a vehicle.
Old 08-09-10, 09:16 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for me, it was a 2nd gen RX-7 anniversary edition. car was pristine, white with black leather interior, turbo model with sunroof. and only 49k miles! everything original, not one mod and ran beautifully...no suspected failure from the rotary motor either. car was always garaged or covered, never saw snow and barely rain for that matter. the original owner (my friends uncle) used to be stationed in germany and it pretty much sat majority of it's life while he was away until he passed it down to my friend.

they sparingly used the car once they obtained it, as they were looking for something more economical and spacious...I used to bring up purchasing the vehicle every now and then, but they ended up trading it in during the incentive period for the $3500 credit from the gov't...that thing is probably a bunch of soup cans by now ;(
Old 08-09-10, 10:04 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me...an E36 M3. Although I can get one now, I'm at a different stage in my life and it just isn't practical for me to have. But one day, I say.
Old 08-09-10, 10:45 AM
TexxIS
Pole Position

'96 BMW E36 M3.. bottom line.. I'm just a moron and didnt wanna spend the loot. coulda, shoulda, wish i woulda.
Old 08-09-10, 11:46 AM
ekc
Pole Position

Well...I'm quite on the contrary...bought some cars that I shouldn't have in the place...

Bought a 1996 Corolla for my sister to drive in High School, but she didn't get her license until 18...it sat and rotted for 2 years...

Bought a 1999 Sonata for no good reason...

Bought a 1996 Miata from a salvage yard. Spent so much money fixing it I could have bought a clean one and turbo'd it for the same money.

I did regret selling my 97 Passat GLX back then. It had its issues, but it had sentimental values...all in all it's a fun stick shift. Plus, I woudln't have bought the 3 cars above if I decided to keep the Passat...
Old 08-09-10, 05:48 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I have two good one's. First is a 1993 Mazda RX-7, I was ready to buy this car for a reasonable price, until I found out the day before I was about to buy it the engine blew up!

The other was a S13 1993 240sx hatchback with less the 120,000 miles, clean, stock, no damage, under $1000( before drifting became popular), I had the money to buy and missed out on it by one hour! Always thought what could have been in both cases...

Quick Reply: The one that got away...