Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Updated 2011 Toyota Highlander debut Aug. 25th

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 10:47 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Updated 2011 Toyota Highlander debut Aug. 25th

Saw a couple people inquire about the 2011 redesign in other threads, so here is some info for those interested.

Source: Autoblog

Toyota Europe has confirmed to Autoblog that the automaker's popular Highlander crossover will go on sale in Russia and the Ukraine for the first time ever. Why should Statesiders care? Because the new-look model above will be unveiled at the Moscow Motor Show on August 25, and it's almost certain to be the refreshed CUV that we will receive in North America.

From the looks of things, the 2011 Highlander will retain its strong body lines, but ditch the conservative front fascia of the 2010 model in favor of a leaner, more aggressive nose with angry looking headlamps. With appropriate helpings of chrome in all the right places, the new Highlander is downright handsome. As this is the only shot that we have, we don't know what's going on at the rear, but we would expect redesigned taillamps and perhaps some revamped trim. From what we can see, the Highlander's profile appears unchanged, save perhaps for a new wheel pattern and a very discreet set of turn signal repeaters in the mirrors.

While we have no confirmation that we will receive this same model, European officials believe that it will make it to North America with "more or less the same look." The Highlander is only built in three places at the moment – China, Japan and in Indiana, so it doesn't seem likely that Toyota would bother to develop new sheetmetal for select European markets without disbursing it elsewhere.

Unfortunately, we don't know too much about what's going on under that hood or in the cabin. So far, the only thing that Toyota Europe has confirmed with us is that the hybrid version of the Highlander won't be available in those markets. We'll just have to wait for details from the Moscow Motor Show for more information.

Toyota is severely hit or miss (majority miss IMO) with the current designs, but this refresh is not to bad. Much needed aggressiveness compared to the soft and feminine looks of the current model.
Old 08-06-10, 11:05 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like a chop to me....please don't be true.
Old 08-06-10, 12:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Highlander is due for a refresh, not a redesign.

I hope they upgrade the Hybrid from the 3.3L to the 3.5L powertrain...
Old 08-06-10, 01:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current Highlander could really benefit from styling refresh. Toyota is capable of styling a mid-sized SUV/wagon, the Venza is a nice example.
Old 08-06-10, 01:11 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That does look like a chop, but it looks good. The Highlander is due for a refresh, and the Rav4 is due for a redesign, so we'll see how good they are.

It would be great if the Highlander got standard projectors, about time I say. If this photo is accurate, it would make the Highlander look more upscale and aggressive at the same time.
Old 08-06-10, 01:15 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure I like that oddly shaped chunk of chrome/brightwork surrounding the foglamp.. other than that the overall look isn't bad. I was never a huge fan of the dash (centerstack really) of the latest gen Highlander - hopefully that will be revised.
Old 08-06-10, 10:45 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The Highlander is due for a refresh, not a redesign.

I hope they upgrade the Hybrid from the 3.3L to the 3.5L powertrain...
not too sure about that, its just less reason to buy the RX450h
Old 08-06-10, 10:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
not too sure about that, its just less reason to buy the RX450h
hahah, we looked at both the hylander hybrid and the 450h, honestly, there are a lot of difference between the two, the 450h is far better everything comes at about 13k difference, hehe
Old 08-07-10, 01:23 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the redesign of the RAV4, I saw pics of that a little while ago, looks good IMO, if I were to get an SUV or whatever it'd be that or the new 4Runner with the 20" wheel option.
Old 08-07-10, 01:38 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I dont' think this will be it. The Highlander is still relatively new and only due for a facelift. The car above has changed sheetmetal. Perhaps this will be the Euro version and not ours.
Old 08-07-10, 02:25 AM
khoa2801@y
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone look into the picture and notice something?.........There is no driver in the driver seat. Of course, the 2011 high lander has the new technology of self-driving hahaha...
Old 08-07-10, 02:44 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by khoa2801@y
Does anyone look into the picture and notice something?.........There is no driver in the driver seat. Of course, the 2011 high lander has the new technology of self-driving hahaha...
LOL! I don't know if that's more funny or the fact we all missed it! Maybe that's the new K.I.T.T. version.
Old 08-07-10, 09:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

the 2011 Highlander will ditch the conservative front fascia of the 2010 model in favor of a leaner, more aggressive nose with angry looking headlamps.
What was wrong with the old one? I see no problem with it.

This, as I see it, is just one more case of unneeded change, just for change sake. Toyota, right now, at a time like this, would be better-off spending its time and money on getting to the bottom of its numerous quality/enginering issues.
Old 08-07-10, 11:24 PM
RoyAlder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GFerg
Saw a couple people inquire about the 2011 redesign in other threads, so here is some info for those interested.

Source: Autoblog

Toyota is severely hit or miss (majority miss IMO) with the current designs, but this refresh is not to bad. Much needed aggressiveness compared to the soft and feminine looks of the current model.
I think this will the be European version. But damn this looks hideous.
Old 08-25-10, 07:57 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2011 Toyota Highlander (new pics)

http://autoutro.ru/gallery/2010/08/24/215855.shtml

Quick Reply: Updated 2011 Toyota Highlander debut Aug. 25th